Arduino for Kids?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
I'm fascinated with them, and am looking to get some type of Arduino for my 11 year old daughter. I know there are a lot of kid projects online, but was just curios if anyone else here has done projects with their kids.

I've mentioned them to her before, and she asked what it does. I can't give her a straight answer, what -can't- it do?! With all the modules/interfaces/sensors available, the possibilities just seem...insane.

Any recommendations on what brand or type to get, or where to buy? There are so many, and I don't have a clue on what differentiates the different brands.

The original Arduino, AdaFruit, Raspberry pi.... May as well be Greek translated to Chinese to me :/ I've done some research, but that just makes me more confused.

Although I have a computer science background, I cannot speak to any of the current processor designs as I just haven't had time to play with any of them. But, I did raise a son that is a computer wiz so can comment from experiences ~15 to 20 years ago. The bottom line is that it isn't so much the processor chip/board as you have listed above, but instead ease of use in programming. Look at the programming languages supported and how easy they are to use as in interpreting/compiling. Your daughter will be more apt to play and explore if the environment she is working in is accessible, fast and fun.

there are many starter kits available. Generally the same but some of the projects will be different.

You essentially read the manual, build the project using an arduino, components, and wire. You then load the program into your computer and download it into the arduino to run.

It does take time to do all the projects. I am not sure if an 11 year old would be able to do it on their own unless they have prior building and programming experience. It would not be a beginner kit.

If you were to help, you would have to guide them all the way. The other problem is you may want to do it on your own.

You essentially read the manual, build the project using an arduino, components, and wire. You then load the program into your computer and download it into the arduino to run.

If the programming is already done, what is the kid learning? Doing a breadboard is like painting by numbers.

It will be something we will be learning together. Long story short, I share custody, and am looking for fun and educational things to do with her. I've taken apart a fair share of electronic things with her, and she seems quite interested in learning more. I figured an Arduino would be fun for both of us :)

Unfortunately, most of the retailers in my area don't know much if anything about them. Radio Shi£ and Hobbytown USA are the only places near me that I know of that carry them. I'm going both places tonight to see what is available.

And, yes, this is a last minute Christmas present...

What! Radio Schlock is still open?

Probably too late now, but maybe get one of the Arduino based robot kits too. Something that does more than blink an LED or two.

I would recommend something with an easier programming environment if you don't already know C to be able to help her. Sure there's a wealth of code that you can just copy and make it do something but that's not a great way to learn about programming. The hardware side can be as easy or hard as you want it to be. Arduino "shields" are plug and play. You can go the other way and breadboard your own circuits too. You'll eventually let out some magic smoke but that's just part of learning.

The Lego EV3 is basically Lego Technic with a microcontroller and motors and sensors. It has a simpler programming language using visual blocks that are stacked together but it can also have the firmware changed to be programmed in C as you advance. I think you'd have an easier time with this system. The electronics all use RJ11 connectors so that's all plug and play.

The Lego system uses a variation of National Instruments Labview. Labview is used extensively for lab automation and instrumentation. I think NI hardware has made it on to some of the recent Mars rovers.

Labview is a language called 'G' under the hood. It's essentially C without pointers. The development environment is very visual - a program looks like a wiring diagram. It's a fairly low level language - it's not event driven like VB.

Other than the visual development environment, the other major difference between Labview and C is that it is a 'data flow' language, rather than a statement flow language. Execution flows from input variables along wires, through functions, to output variables. Sometimes in parallel. Instead of one statement (or line number for Basic/Fortran folks) after another.

It's dead easy to write simple code in.

I got into Arduinos a couple of years ago. Really nice. I got a "Uno", in a "Getting Started with Arduino" kit by Maker Shed. Got it at Radio Shack, IIRC around $60-70. But on the Radio Shack site now, they do not list it, only sell the Uno alone or the Mega alone.

Here's the getting started kit on Makershed's site:

https://www.makershed.com/products/...duino-uno-r3?gclid=CP_SkuSg88kCFQyPaQod8L4Ivw

[video=youtube;xl8HklqtWLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl8HklqtWLA[/video]

Of course if you have breadboards, buttons, resistors, LED, jumper wires, the 9V to 5 Volt voltage regulator, and other things the kit has, then you could just get the Arduino alone, and can be had a lot cheaper elsewhere if you are willing to wait. But if you do not have all the other stuff (I didn't have a lot of it, had never gotten into breadboarding), the starter kit is a great way to go. And the Uno (and decent quality Uno clones) is the best beginner Arduino. If you and/or your daughter really get into Arduinos, you'l lend up buying more later, anyway. So the later ones can be more advanced, or smaller, depending on the kind of projects and what they need.

The Uno was good for my needs, have not gotten into more advanced stuff that would need a Mega or Raspberry Pi. I even later got hold of some smaller Arduinos, like the Nano. But I still use the Uno for general programming of new designs. And if I had gotten into "Shields" or expansion boards that plug in, then the Uno is great for shields & expansion boards that are compatible with the Uno socket pinouts.

As for the use of existing programming.... well, OF COURSE! Geez, I didn't learn how to program Arduino from scratch, I used existing programming to first make it work and then tweak the number to modify say a blink rate. Then began to modify the existing program to do other things. That's how most people learn to program anyway.

Below, a video showing an Arduino Nano-based timer, intended to fire ejection at a set time after liftoff. I added programming to make it run an LCD display, in part so I could learn how to program the LCD Display, and in part as a de-bug test for the timer (the display would not be used for rockets). An odd thing I came to realize later was that when the serial option for the LCD was hooked up, the program ran longer per cycle, so the real-world time delay ran a lot longer. So for rocket flights, it would need to be used without the serial set up, or i'd have to set a shorter time in the programming to get the actual desired real-world time delay to ejection.

[video=youtube;6KEw_ym2RfE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KEw_ym2RfE[/video]

In the video, the red LED that lights up would be the ejection firing. Mode 1 is armed and waiting to detect liftoff (Wire = 1 means wire across nozzle is not burned or in this case is connected). Mode 2 is liftoff detected (wire = 0, disconnected or burned thru) and counting tenths of a second towards the pre-set time delay total. It was programmed so if "wire" goes back to 1 (re-connected), it would stop and reset itself. Mode 3 is fire ejection for 1 second. Also note a different beep pattern for each mode, so if I was hooking things up and suddenly the beep went from slow (mode 1) to fast (mode 2), I'd know it was counting to fire ejection, so either try to reconnect a wire if possible in a few seconds, or get away from it before it fired.

And yet, as complicated as all that sounds, the vast majority of the programming was from existing programming, edited together, with custom programming added that was often learned from other simpler individual programs.

But also, I did have problems at times. The Arduino Forum is fantastic for getting help. They won't create a program for you, but if you can document well enough what you are doing, they can often figure out what the problem is.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd start a kid out with an arduino. A couple of years ago, I needed something to monitor a couple of sensors, and sequence some valves. I found a Parallax "Board of Education" at Radio Shack and had what I needed prototyped that afternoon. It's (Basic Stamp) not as powerful as an arduino, but it's a lot easier to learn. The BoA comes with a variety of stuff to turn off/on, monitor, and control, including an R/C-style servo and a solderless breadboard. [edit] I just looked at the Parallax web site. They're not selling everything as a complete kit now. You've got to order the Board and the "What's a Microcontroller?" parts kit/instruction manual separately.

If you want to stick with arduino, I just found the SparkFun Inventor's Kit v3.2. It's almost the same thing as the BoA except using an arduino. This one comes with a kit of parts and a project guidebook. This makes it a better deal, saving you about $50.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12060

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back