Estes Ventris and it's loose transition... too loose?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Reaction score
I'm currently building a Ventris as my first MPR, and upon browsing youtube videos, I noticed one from a few years ago that appears to show the nose section coming loose during deceleration.
It appears to fall loose, making the rocket wiggle a bit just before apogee. It's at about 21 seconds into the vid. I had to watch it several times to be sure.

[youtube]EMg3lrwW67I[/youtube]

On my Ventris, if I shake the body tube a bit, the transition really wiggles. There's no friction, I can actually see the gap, maybe half milimeter on both sides.

My question is this: What would you recommend to tighten this up?

There are two things you can do to help prevent drag separation. You can add a wrap or two of masking tape around the nosecone shoulder (in this case, the transition shoulder). Make it tight enough that the forward section does not fall loose when you hold the rocket upside down, but it does come loose with a few shakes. And/or add a tab or two of tape to the outside of the airframe between the BT and the transition. The tape needs to be small enough to that the ejection charge will split it.

glue 1 wrap of 110# cardstock to the inside surface of the body tube(wide enough to match the shoulder length of the transition). you might still need/want a piece of tape(or two) on the transition. this also helps reinforce the bodytube.
Rex

glue 1 wrap of 110# cardstock to the inside surface of the body tube(wide enough to match the shoulder length of the transition). you might still need/want a piece of tape(or two) on the transition. this also helps reinforce the bodytube.
Rex
I like this idea. Thanks. Feels more permanent than tape. I do have a roll of 1 1/2" masking tape so I'll keep that handy for adjustments if needed.

While painting my Ventris, I got some paint on the transition shoulder and it made the fit pretty tight. I had to sand it down before the last launch. So you may be able to inadvertently solve your problem. If not, just use some tape or cardstock like the others have suggested. Thats how I make sure my nosecone doesn't separate from the payload bay. Easy fix.

Rex

This is a really nice way to fill the gap. The problem with tape wraps is that over time, the tape edge can roll, exposing the sticky side and potentially causing problems. If I must use tape, I'll take it off when I store the rocket, or at least replace it before the next flight.

had the same problem with both my ventris and my argent (same parts after all) only difference is that I figured out a fix for the argent. one doesn't need anything fancy glue wise, Elmer's white glue works. don't overlap the paper and use a round rod to roll the glue smooth(an xacto knife handle sans blade will work :)), remove or spread out the excess glue and you're done. good luck, hope it turns out well
Rex

I've found that smearing CA inside of the body tube has the same result. My intent was to try to reinforce the tube, but it also tightens the cone fit.

Back