Indiana MAC Performance FIRESTICK XL BF build - info always appreciated

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jim and Teddy, really appreciate your advice on this. I'll be charge testing tomorro

Today was a big rocket day since I had today off;
- picked up a Canon Vixia R700 HD Camera and accessories. Played with that for awhile - next week is three oaks Michiana Rocketry launch and would like to video as much as I can. Also installed the 808 camera and new Landru printed shroud.

IMG_8513.JPGIMG_8514.JPG

- Test Drogue charge and since I just finished repainting ad clear coat yesterday so protected the nose one and payload airframe with some old but clean socks.

This was my first attempt at the glove tip method which I really like - very simple - however i'm not crazy about where the ignitor wires are located - see picture. Next time I will route differently so they are not torqued on when the rocket is all together.

IMG_8509.JPGIMG_8510.JPGIMG_8515.JPG

Drogue test - with issues - the primary charge blew the backup charge becuase I did not isolate with tape well enough and the flame made its way down through the tape.

[youtube]gxo_8mwcTss[/youtube]

Had to try out the 808 camera as well.

[youtube]BNIh-c3crKA[/youtube]

Main charge test was successful - 4 shear pins although i don't believe I need that many, 1.5 grams with a 1.8 backup and this time the backup charge survived. Looked pretty energetic but still had one of the three bundles not undune and didn't sound too bad like the drogue charge.

[youtube]3YVktBK8aBU[/youtube]

I feel i really need to test the drogue again and better isolate the backup charge just to make sure. By the video it looked like the initial pop was the 1.5 and the smoke was the 1.8, so we shall see later on today. After this i'll be prepping the charges for next weekend and hoping for good weather, and a successful launch / recovery.

Last edited:
Drogue test #2 - still with 1.5 gram but backup charge is better Isolated. This worked however didn't look like enough - didn't pull any of my rubber bands - so I am thinking of going to 2.0 gram?

[youtube]3sFpliGmZjo[/youtube]

Nick, your Firestick XL looks really classy! When you retested the primary drogue charge, what did you do differently that better isolated the backup charge? More tape?

Guess I never update the thread sorry for those that are looking for info.

To update, the reason I bought this kit were really 2 reasons; I wanted to build a high quality kit and it could withstand weather, moisture and still fly. To MAC's credit - it has both.

First flight I used plastic charge wells and packed it very tight with dog barf to better isolate the ejection charge - too tight in fact which caused the charge well to turn into shrapnel which blew out the side of the payload tube. Up part was beautiful though
QCRS on a J330 to 3800'

2nd flight 3Oaks on a K515 to 7600' and landed in the very top of a huge tree - exposed to weather for 2 months until Justin and Eric graciously extracted for me at a later launch. Rocket survived! (Loaded weight 11.7lbs)

3rd flight - AMA Muncie Indy Rockets on a J244 to 3645' on a 4' chute was too small, decent rate too fast at approx 22mph. No damage

So I've put it through hell already - one tough rocket. Looking forward to many more flights...with better recoveries :).

Nice updates.

I am running some OR sims on this design and getting some iffy stability off the rail with 54mm K and L motors and 10mph crosswind. However, the "up" part of your flights seem to be just fine. Can you post the no-motor mass and CG of your build? Thanks.

Yes up part has been great on a J330, K515 and a J244 - no nose weight - but I do have a bay in the nose and have a DC-50 dog tracker - collar and all shoved in the nose.

Sure - I'll be prepping the rocket the next couple days for MWP so I'll post here my real CG no motor / no hardware but otherwise pad ready once I finish prep

Last edited:
Nice updates.

I am running some OR sims on this design and getting some iffy stability off the rail with 54mm K and L motors and 10mph crosswind. However, the "up" part of your flights seem to be just fine. Can you post the no-motor mass and CG of your build? Thanks.

My CG flight ready - no motor or motor hardware is 41" from tip - the over all length of the rocket is a total of 69.5" (just in case the length of your bird is different)

CG
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477939895.662637.jpg

Overall length for reference
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477939914.529234.jpg

Cool. Thanks. What is the mass that corresponds to this 41" CG? Need both to do a proper override.

Interesting. Yes, my design is ~72" long with Slimline. Your design has a little less stability margin as compared to my marginal sims, yet flies just fine on the K motors. I will dig into this some more.

Your rocket looks crunched and a little worse for wear. Sorry to see that.

Mass is 2890 grams or 6.36 lbs.
Rocket was up in a tree for a couple months last winter. Thx to a couple friends was retrieved.
Last flight was fine - but the first 2 were pretty rough on the Firestick!

Hopefully I will be able to pretty it up again this winter

Last edited:
flight at Airfest 2017 K711 54-6gr 11,763' 1302 mph Mach 1.7

this found the limit of the molded nose cone, so i'll be opting for a FWFG. The flight was successful however upon inspection the nose cone paint cracked off in spots. I'm taking this as the NC actually folded in alittle bit

this found the limit of the molded nose cone, so i'll be opting for a FWFG. The flight was successful however upon
inspection the nose cone paint cracked off in spots. I'm taking this as the NC actually folded in alittle bit

I know the limit of paint adhesion on a Madcow Torrent nose cone........one pass of a set of Uhaul tires

this found the limit of the molded nose cone, so i'll be opting for a FWFG. The flight was successful however upon inspection the nose cone paint cracked off in spots. I'm taking this as the NC actually folded in alittle bit

I believe it. I can easily push the plastic with my thumb. I probably won't push my Firestick as hard as you, but I now regret that I did not foam the nose cone. Too late now - I already installed the av-bay and painted the nose, and I am not gonna hack it up in an attempt to pour foam.

I believe it. I can easily push the plastic with my thumb. I probably won't push my Firestick as hard as you, but I now regret that I did not foam the nose cone. Too late now - I already installed the av-bay and painted the nose, and I am not gonna hack it up in an attempt to pour foam.

I wouldn't fret about it either, fine unless your going to push, then throw a FWFG at it and go. For what it's worth the K711 flight was arrow straight and I had no visual indication during the flight that anything was amiss. prolly up to a K650 power is where issues would show up.

I wouldn't fret about it either, fine unless your going to push, then throw a FWFG at it and go. For what it's worth the K711 flight was arrow straight and I had no visual indication during the flight that anything was amiss. prolly up to a K650 power is where issues would show up.

Don't be bashful! :wink:

Back