Estes Javelin #2005

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Reaction score
Here is one of my first rockets from about 1989 - Estes Javelin #2005. Rocketreviews has a listing, but the wrong Rocksim file. There was another Estes (Mini Brute) Javelin #0815 that was a completely different older design. This is the almost non-existent #2005, very hard to pull together all of this info, but here it is. Decals have been re-created @ 600dpi

PDF instructions should be very close to actual size when printed.

Javelin_final.jpg

View attachment Estes Javelin #2005.ork

2005Fin Sheet.jpg

View attachment 2005-1.pdf
View attachment 2005-2.pdf
View attachment 2005-3.pdf
View attachment 2005-4.pdf

UPDATE: previous image file lost scale info - updated for correct scale in either .jpg or .pdf for printing

View attachment 2005-decals-v3.pdf
2005-decals-v3.jpg

Last edited:
I finished building mine today. I started with assembling a "kit" and then went from there. Only thing is I couldn't find an engine hook retainer ring, so I made my own out of cardstock, which worked great.
This is a nice little rocket, can't wait to see it fly.

I'm sure the one I built when I was 13 was probably some mix of fluorescent colors brushed on. That was popular in 1989. I think I ended up losing it on someones roof though.

Cool! I have the original Javelin, the mini one that came in the combo pack with the Super Flea. Lost the Super Flea years ago to a tree, but the Javelin still flies once in awhile and is currently the oldest flyable rocket in my fleet at about 35 years now! Didn't know Estes had another kit with the same name until now but I know they've done that with others, like the magician.

Glenn

Good looking bird. Reminds me of the Ninja, which was the rocket that started me on the road back in 1994. Looks like it would work well as an upscale, too.
As for the original Javelin, it and the Super Flea are on my short list of cloning victims. One of the guys I started flying with in 1977 had them as his first kit. I was so jealous. Couldn't believe he found a two-fer.:cool:

I actually was at one point thinking about upscaling this one, using a Partizon. Seems like it could get kind of tail-heavy though.

Neat Rocket!

In looking at your rocket, and the .ork file, it seems to me that yours has fins that are a tad thicker than 1/16". Or is that just an optical illusion?

Thanks!

Oh, and modifying the Partizon, perhaps a mixture of both ply, and balsa would work? Ply main fins, balsa extensions.

Last edited:
Neat Rocket!

In looking at your, and the .ork file, it seems to me that yours has fins that are a tad thicker than 1/16". Or is that just an optical illusion?

Thanks!

Oh, and modifying the Partizon, perhaps a mixture of both ply, and balsa would work? Ply main fins, balsa extensions.

Sharp eye! Yes I forgot used 3/32 for the fins as that's all I had for the thin stuff. Now that I think of it, the shock cord I used is a bit wide as well. I believe the original had the more narrow cord.

I'm working on Cabernut's .ork file now. Taking the silver texture that was recently posted by neil_w, and adding my own flourishes to it (paint/decals, engine hook, notch in the fins for the retaining ring, and the nosecone's tip).

Problem is, I haven't figured out how to do layers, and applying that Javelin decal over the silver texture is still beyond my reach.

So, here's the graphic I've created (100 pixels = 1 inch) and Cabernut's image (which is (IINM) 264 pixels = 1 inch). Can someone merge the two images for me? Thanks!

Estes Javelin (2005) Body Tube Paint and Decals Test 1.png Estes Javelin #2005decal_layout_2.jpg

Cabernut's right. This rocket just begs for an upscale... BT-60? Hmmm.

I've also figured out a way using OR to simulate a retaining ring that covers the engine hook and looks good on the other side as well... Here's a peek.

Estes Javelin (2005) Special Effects.jpg

Any guesses as to how I did it? :wink: Oh, between the rear view and the side view, I did change the engine hook to silver just to prove it's concealed.

Last edited:
K'Tesh

Is this what you're looking for?

Estes Javelin Body Tube Paint and Decals Test 2.png

Hopefully the answer is Yes.

Diggr

K'Tesh

Is this what you're looking for?

View attachment 289516

Hopefully the answer is Yes.

Diggr

Thanks Diggr,

That was exactly what I was looking for. I noticed a little discrepancy (my bad). So I fixed it. Here's the results...

Estes Javelin (2005) Stock.jpg

The Engine hook retaining band and the engine hook weren't "painted" black deliberately. I wanted to make it more apparent that they are there, so they're a very dark grey.

I was thinking about this as an upscale, and it seems to me that the Argent's nosecone would be a closer match to the appearance than the Partizon's nosecone.

Last edited:
:) Glad to have been of some help. For the record that was done with Paint.net. Given your mastery of OR and paint jobs, I would respectfully suggest that you consider giving it a try. The learning curve seems daunting at first, but all in all it is quite a powerful tool and one can't beat the price. It certainly stands head and shoulders above MS Paint, in my opinion.

And thank your again for all the help you have provided the community on how to deal with OR.

Have a good day.

Diggr

:) Glad to have been of some help. For the record that was done with Paint.net. Given your mastery of OR and paint jobs, I would respectfully suggest that you consider giving it a try. The learning curve seems daunting at first, but all in all it is quite a powerful tool and one can't beat the price. It certainly stands head and shoulders above MS Paint, in my opinion.

And thank your again for all the help you have provided the community on how to deal with OR.

Have a good day.

Diggr

Every time I tried to download paint.net I was trying to go to a website, and couldn't find it. I realized earlier today that it's a program and not a website (thus the link that kept coming up has NOTHING to do with it. I've just downloaded the program and installed it. I've yet to play with it. I've got to say though that much of what you've seen with my decaled .ork files has been done completely with OR and MS Paint (still it's a pain).

Thanks for your words (and your help with this file). I'm glad that others are able to use what I've done and are enjoying what I've been up to.

All The Best!
Jim

I have this Partizon kit sitting in my build pile... You're giving me ideas darnit! :D

Love your work!

I have this Partizon kit sitting in my build pile... You're giving me ideas darnit! :D

Love your work!

I'm pretty impressed with yours too. That was a really nice job you did. My work was mostly modifications of yours using the new tricks I've picked up over the last few weeks since you posted your file.

Now, remember, my PSII upscale is a 2" upscale (Argent based nosecone) and not the 2.5" Partizon based nosecone (which would look too stubby IMHO).

[EDIT] D'oh! I was thinking of the Leviathan's nosecone, not the Partizon. I've simmed it with the Partizon's nosecone, and it looks pretty good actually.

Here's my version of the Argent based Javelin:

The Original:

and the Partizon:

I'd have added the .ork files for the original, and the 2.5" version, but they exceed the forum's file size limit.

Last edited:
Question is now: What material and thickness for the fins so that a 2" or 2.5" upscale could handle big H / baby I motors without fin flutter?

My Partizon kit is just waiting to be something other than a Partizon. I was thinking 340% upscale of a Ram Jet but that's too complex for my skill level at this point. This is looking more and more attractive as an option.

Question is now: What material and thickness for the fins so that a 2" or 2.5" upscale could handle big H / baby I motors without fin flutter?

My Partizon kit is just waiting to be something other than a Partizon. I was thinking 340% upscale of a Ram Jet but that's too complex for my skill level at this point. This is looking more and more attractive as an option.

I flew my OFFl rocket with 1/8" fins using a G, H, and I motors, and had no problems. I used 1/8" birch ply (papered).

So far a 2.5" upscale on med-big Hs sim to around 30-40G of accel with max speed around 500-600mph.

The fin flutter calculation excel sheet I got from Apogee shows 3/16 ply should be able to handle it with fins that size. Last thing I want is to rain fin debris on the people below. :y:

3/16 ply though would require a bit of nose weight to keep that CG forward enough. Sounds like it would be a fun build though.

Back