RCP-2015-2016 Cycle Now Posted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zog139

Reaction score
The RCP process for changing rules in the NAR Sporting Code a.k.a. “The Pink Book” is defined in the sporting code under section “F” of the appendix. The process can be reviewed online at https://www.nar.org/pinkbook/ the cycle for proposed changes runs on a one year cycle. A dedicated online RCP Forum for proposals to be reviewed, commented on, and finally voted on is here: https://www.nar.org/contest-flying/rules-revision-process/rcp-cycle-2015-2016/

Twelve regular proposals were received for this cycle. Take the time to read the proposals carefully. I also recommend that you discuss the proposals with fellow contest flyers for the pros and cons of the proposals. Some clubs even have discussion at business meetings to allow for opinions to be shared among members.

You will have UNTIL 11:59pm EDT April 15th, 2016 to comment on the proposals. Once the comment period closes details will be announced on voting procedures for the process. Once the proposals are voted on, they will require a 66% vote for the proposal to be passed and become a part of the pink book effective for the new contest year July1, 2016, but they will have no bearing on NARAM-58. I would like to remind everyone that the opportunity for you to submit a RCP is as simple as writing up your idea or submitting it online at the link you can find at: https://www.nar.org/competition/pinkbookrcpform.html

Jim Filler

NAR RRC
Contest Board

Anyone interested in discussing this?

There has been a rule change that was forced upon NAR members without discussion. NAR has a contest rocket email group that is heavily moderated for where they pretty much don't allow dissenting opinion.

I can provide more detail is this topic interests anyone.

Anyone interested in discussing this?

There has been a rule change that was forced upon NAR members without discussion. NAR has a contest rocket email group that is heavily moderated for where they pretty much don't allow dissenting opinion.

I can provide more detail is this topic interests anyone.

Well it seems their dog and pony show applies to the RCP public comments as well. My comments have been under moderation for more than three days now. What are the powers that be afraid of? The comment period ends at 1159 EDT on April 15th. Does that mean you have to submit them some arbitrary time in the future for that time and date to be effective?

I don't believe that the contest board nor NAR are interested in what the rank and file members have to say based on their action and tacit approval by inaction.

So what happens if there are no local meets to compete at? What about regional ones? Would that leave just one at NARAM? How does that fit into their grand scheme? What if they hold a contest and only one or two show up to fly?

Based on the way clubs were clamoring to host NARAM this year what happens next year? Hosting one is a financial and logistical nightmare. Of course this is off topic but indicative of the trend in contesting.

I don't believe that the contest board nor NAR are interested in what the rank and file members have to say based on their action and tacit approval by inaction.
Sounds like you are referring to the NAR RCP comment site? If so, give it some time for your comments to show. That site isn't a discussion forum anyways.
Based on the way clubs were clamoring to host NARAM this year what happens next year? Hosting one is a financial and logistical nightmare. Of course this is off topic but indicative of the trend in contesting.
It seems that the NAR leadership wants to make NARAM the one big event of the year where all things rocketry are poured into it. Having run finances and logistics for one NARAM, I can tell you that it is a tough event to host. I sort of wish that it could be stripped down to a simple national contest. What we have now is some sort of bloated rocketry convention. The expectations placed on the host section(s) are very high.

You have to not just host the national meet (which alone is difficult), but
1. an NAR Board meeting with all the trimmings
2. a 7-day sport launch
3. a make-it-take-it event
4. provide facilities to hold continuous high power rocketry flying
5. an FAI team flyoff
6. an auditorium for R&D presentations
7. extra fun events
8. a fancy banquet
9. huge trophies and medals for the top three places in all events across four divisions, plus the section champs...
10. a 4+ star hotel at Motel 6 prices

....and on and on. People come up with more stuff to add. Volunteers are scarce. What's a section with maybe a dozen active members to do? And if anything is omitted or somehow not up to someone's expectation of a world-class event, the criticism and grumbling gets heaped on the host section. It's no surprise to me that it's hard to find anyone to host the monstrosity that NARAM has become.

Back