New FAA rules for unmanned aircraft

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious; as a foreigner wishing to fly a FAI contest in the US, S8Ep RC rocket gliders for example, would I need to register with the FAA in order to participate?

Richard

Just curious; as a foreigner wishing to fly a FAI contest in the US, S8Ep RC rocket gliders for example, would I need to register with the FAA in order to participate?

Richard

Funny you should ask that. I direct a large collegiate competition where teams from all over the world come to the US to fly in a weight lifting event for RC model aircraft. It starts in eight weeks. (SAE Aero Design East, Ft Worth, TX on March 11-13)

I am working this exact issue right now with the FAA and the teams from outside the US.

If your RC S8E model weighs less than 9 oz/250 gr at launch, you do not have to register.

If it or anything else you fly via RC weighs more than that, you must register to operate in the US. Free flight is not affected and does not have to be registered.

The FAA registration process is quick and easy for US residents with US IP addresses.

If you are not a US resident, it will be more complicated for a while, as you cannot register until you are in country.

The web site does non currently accept non US addresses. That should be fixed within a few weeks, based in what my FAA contact in DC is telling me.

Right now the teams coming for my event will have to register after they are in the US and I an being repeatedly assured by multiple people from the FAA that by then, the system will accept non-us addresses, but they must still be on a US IP address to register.

Last edited:
Well looks like it will be ok at 200gm all up but I will keep an eye on it. :wink:

Thanks Tom.

Richard

There is no set size the FAA reg. number has to be so I simply made up a sheet of decals like I did for my NAR number. printed in a variety of sizes printed in black on white background decal stock. I'll simply cut them out and use whichever one fits the Glider or RC plane.

All this hub-bub about nearly Nothing. Seems to me putting an FAA number on our RC aircraft is no different then putting our NAR number on our contest Rockets and Models.

Despite many people claiming other darker reasons, the overwhelming reason for this silly registration is exactly what you said: to find the owner of a crashed "drone", especially any drone that crashes where it does not belong or when it has caused injury or property damage: crowds, dense urban areas, sporting events, large crowds, the Washington DC exclusion zone, other no fly zones, etc.

All other other "reasons" given by the FAA, such as educating users, are very minor in comparison to the main reason.

I agree. I also found this interesting from here: https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/a...-uas-registration-frequently-asked-questions/

Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?

A: No. AMA members are allowed to continue using their AMA number as the identification number on their aircraft. However, until the AMA registration process is finalized, members are required to have a hard copy or electronic copy of the federal registration certificate on their person while flying.

The mostly random numbers in the reg number are annoying. A co-worker did get a funny one....his ends with something very much like "pfhafft". We told him the FAA must be aware of what he is like after enchilada Thursday at work....;)

I just completed mine and got an interesting one......" FATYPAK " when I take out the numbers added! Not sure how that describes my low end Quad copters..... me on the other hand.... no contest!

Back