New F record at Bunnell Florida

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That motor is designed to carry a small diameter rocket over a mile so what's the big deal? They recommend using that motor in the Apogee Aspire to get those results so if you build something similar in weight and size then I'm sure it will go that high.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocke...-4_1pk?zenid=6178f5dd41d7bbfb4543e5108b43422d

I could see if it went 6500 feet or something like? I don't get it? For $25 it better go a mile

Last edited:
That motor is designed to carry a small diameter rocket over a mile so what's the big deal? They recommend using that motor in the Apogee Aspire to get those results so if you build something similar in weight and size then I'm sure it will go that high.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocke...-4_1pk?zenid=6178f5dd41d7bbfb4543e5108b43422d

I could see if it went 6500 feet or something like? I don't get it? For $25 it better go a mile

The big deal is that he actually did it and documented doing it.

-- Roger

That motor is designed to carry a small diameter rocket over a mile so what's the big deal?

The big deal is actually doing it AND getting it back. I have tried twice with a video camera on board. The first one shed its fins at about 4000 feet and after doing a few laps landed very close to the launch site. The second on was found after about an hour, The payload section had separated from the booster, complicating the recovery. Worse, the camera mysteriously shut off prior to the launch. I still have one of these motors in the launch box. One of these days!

So far, I have only been able to fly the E6 motor with a camera on board successfully:[video=youtube;99hCys7hpLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99hCys7hpLk[/video]

Congrats N27SB!

Building it is the easy part, So is flying it. The hard part is getting it back. With these small rockets I never fly them on a cloudy day or even with a little haze, They just disappear shortly after take off. All you get to watch is the smoke trail.So shortly after take off it just blends into the haze. On a good clear blue sky day you can watch them
all the way and see the deployment. The highest I've flown and got it back was just over 7000'.

Building it is the easy part, So is flying it. The hard part is getting it back. With these small rockets I never fly them on a cloudy day or even with a little haze, They just disappear shortly after take off. All you get to watch is the smoke trail.So shortly after take off it just blends into the haze. On a good clear blue sky day you can watch them
all the way and see the deployment. The highest I've flown and got it back was just over 7000'.

GPS.

It is always seems easy if you don't actually have to do it.

Just in case this offended anyone...I mean to clarify that the F record rocket was recovered with the use of a GPS system. My guess is that apogee was not tracked visually, nor was the descent or much of the ascent.

No Dan I just got a good set of 10x50 binoculars, you think the humidity could have anything to do with how clear the atmosphere would be? Here in utah we have a dry climate.

I launched a couple Aspires without any kind of tracking and I recovered them. Took me 30 minutes to find them but I did find them. Maybe I'm just lucky. In assuming they hit the mile mark

I launched a couple Aspires without any kind of tracking and I recovered them. Took me 30 minutes to find them but I did find them. Maybe I'm just lucky. In assuming they hit the mile mark

The cool thing about the Apogee F10 is that it is slow burning with lots of smoke. This flight was visually tracked all the way to touchdown. That's not usually the case here in Florida. It's the first MD rocket that I had recovered without the need for tracking. I always include an Eggfinder GPS. That adds weight, but I can find it.
The Aspire is a nice kit but if you run it on Rocksim and add the right amount of drag so that the results are realistic you will be lucky to get 4500'. I change the fin shape to rounded vs streamline in the simulation in order to do this. Actual flights on 24mm and 29mm rockets are consistent with this method. My design Sims out at over 7000' unless I make this correction. Not to mention that I carry a payload in order to verify altitude.
For some reason Tripoli won't post a claim for altitude because you "assume" it made it to an altitude. Also add to the fact that you have to be at a sanctioned launch, the weather has to cooperate and you have to get a straight flight. The rocket has to be recovered and must be able to fly again.

A Model Rocket in our sport should be recoverable and reusable. Anything else is Fireworks.

The cool thing about the Apogee F10 is that it is slow burning with lots of smoke. This flight was visually tracked all the way to touchdown. That's not usually the case here in Florida. It's the first MD rocket that I had recovered without the need for tracking. I always include an Eggfinder GPS. That adds weight, but I can find it.
The Aspire is a nice kit but if you run it on Rocksim and add the right amount of drag so that the results are realistic you will be lucky to get 4500'. I change the fin shape to rounded vs streamline in the simulation in order to do this. Actual flights on 24mm and 29mm rockets are consistent with this method. My design Sims out at over 7000' unless I make this correction. Not to mention that I carry a payload in order to verify altitude.
For some reason Tripoli won't post a claim for altitude because you "assume" it made it to an altitude. Also add to the fact that you have to be at a sanctioned launch, the weather has to cooperate and you have to get a straight flight. The rocket has to be recovered and must be able to fly again.

A Model Rocket in our sport should be recoverable and reusable. Anything else is Fireworks.

Seriously great flight! I know what a hassle it can be getting it back. Look forward to the next the flight:)

Had fairly good conditions at NEFAR December 2015 today and flew my new 29mm FX-2 on an apogee F10-8. It carries onboard an Altus EasyMini and an Eggfinder TX-v6 GPS. The GPS never lost track. This was the first time that I have flown a small diameter rocket and did not need my GPS to find it. It flew to 5407 ft. This breaks the prior record by over 1000 ft. I plan to add a little weight to get it up to optimum weight and trim the fins a bit. It has the potential to exceed 6000 ft.
Thank you Steve and Scott at NEFAR for all the hard work you do to make this a great club.

View attachment 277770View attachment 277768View attachment 277767

Congrats!!! :)

:)

Back