Help Needed with Eggfinder Rx LCD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2654

Reaction score
I thought I would move my request to a different place and try again. I have a LCD receiver and I got a new case from BLKKRW and after transferring it to it's new case, it quit working. Worked fine before.
Well I contacted Cris and he told me I need to reflash it. Well I know this is a DIY kit but when it comes to computers, Im a total caveman.
I need someone who has done this before and is familiar with programing EF's. I will also need the EF installed into the new case when finished
reflashing. I also have 1 TX that I need to have the freg reset. I tried but no luck. I will be glad to pay for your services but if you prefer to
keep these arrangement private, PM me and we can work something out. Cris is just too busy to get to this and I have had an offer
from someone here (Thanks Steve) to walk me through the procedure but I just cant go that route. I just don't have the computer skills.

Na, I figured Connor was busy enough and if he had time he would offer.

Offer stands... I'll be happy to look at it for you. It might take a week or so, however.

Glad that worked out for you Bill. You will find that there is a huge amount of support for the EF product. Both from Cris and others. Not only is the egg finder a great unit, it is also one of the smallest and certainly the least costly.

Thanks Steve. I just wish I was a little more computer savy. I also didn't know you could hurt a device by
it coming in contact with something conductive. Maybe some tape or some other protective film might help?

Already sent to Kurt. I must have missed your offer.

If I can't straighten it out you might have to try with Cris. He's sending me a replacement LCD as the one I have goes blank at totally unpredictable times. If it turns out to be the mainboard, I'll assume I did something with the build and just get
another one. Interestingly the data keeps streaming through the Bluetooth module to GPS Rocket Locator just fine. Turn it off and on and the display comes back and stays for awhile then goes blank. Could be 5 minutes, could be 30 minutes, could
be 4 hours. Really boggling gremlin here. I want one receiver to stay with a laptop in the car and one to go portable for recovery. I re-flashed mine for practice and that didn't change anything. I do have another EF LCD I'm using already and it works
great. I want to get the 2nd one installed in Kyle's case.

Doing a TRS build last nite a pad came off the board when soldering on the GPS receiver. I thought, "I'm screwed" but a careful look of the board diagram showed there was no trace coming off the pad. It's the GPIO7/SPI CS (whatever that is)
or terminal number 8. It's the three terminals together on the receiver on the one side 7,8 and 9. I'm thinking it isn't used. I soldered it quickly but the pad came up on the soldering pen. Am going to complete the build and if the pad is unused anyways, the unit should be fine. Stuff happens with kit building. Kurt Savegnago

... Doing a TRS build last nite a pad came off the board when soldering on the GPS receiver. I thought, "I'm screwed" but a careful look of the board diagram showed there was no trace coming off the pad. It's the GPIO7/SPI CS (whatever that is)
or terminal number 8. It's the three terminals together on the receiver on the one side 7,8 and 9. I'm thinking it isn't used. I soldered it quickly but the pad came up on the soldering pen. Am going to complete the build and if the pad is unused anyways, the unit should be fine. Stuff happens with kit building. Kurt Savegnago

More info please.

I had the same issue with a TRS build - (one of the GPS pads came off) and like you I'm hoping the pad is not needed. I just stopped the build, and set it aside. Figured I'll get back to it sometime later.

What board diagram are you referring to?
Got any photos of the pad?

I've knocked off gps pads on both of my egg-product builds. First time it was de-soldering on a trs and I emailed Cris for advice, it was just the mechanical pads that came off the board (i had a critical pad come off the chip itself, but mouser to the rescue). Yesterday I built an eggfinder, and sure enough one came off as I put too much lateral force while soldering. I freaked out, but then thought it must have heated up so fast because there was no trace coming off of that pad. Finished up, and the tracker works, not sure if the visual id of a trace is valid every time, I can't remember if there are any vias under the chip.

Last edited:
More info please.

I had the same issue with a TRS build - (one of the GPS pads came off) and like you I'm hoping the pad is not needed. I just stopped the build, and set it aside. Figured I'll get back to it sometime later.

What board diagram are you referring to?
Got any photos of the pad?

Look at the photos of the bare TRS board in the photos. Blow it up and look at the pad you removed. If it's just a pad with no trace leading to it, your device will probably work. This is the PDF on the Maestro GPS receiver: https://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/EVA2235-H.pdf . Go to page 14. You'll get an idea of what that terminal was. Look closely at the plain board in the photos on Cris site. You might have dorked an anchoring pad and
missing a few of those isn't going to make a difference.

I've dorked two GPS receivers. I've salvaged two boards. One I dropped the second I futzed with an outboard GPS receiver and whacked it trying to put the stock Maestro unit back. Weeeeeeell, I took an an outboard UBlox receiver, took the
3.3V +/- and fed that from the 3.3V regulated output at the tailend of the these V1 EggFinder GPS boards. I then took the signal out or TX of the outboard GPS and soldered that to Pad #18 on the board that's in that diagram in that PDF above on page 14.
That's it. Of course the switch no longer works so I'd have to turn it on from the battery. That's all folks, pad 18, one pad where the GPS is normally mounted and it will work. Of course I could have pulled the power Vcc+ and ground from there but easier to screw it in to the terminals I have on my older EFGPS boards. Good luck, I hope you tore a non-essential pad. Those are more likely to rip I think. Kurt Savegnago

Last edited:
Back