rail launcher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a photo of my 8' jaw stand rail - easy to build, cost $100-$115

Those are really nice. In fact, that's all our club uses now even with 1515 rail. Very stout setup. My one recommendation is make use of the holes in the feet and stake that sucker down. I've seen those tip over in a light breeze with something as small as a LOC Warlock on it.

Those are really nice. ...My one recommendation is make use of the holes in the feet and stake that sucker down. I've seen those tip over in a light breeze with something as small as a LOC Warlock on it.
From the very first use I used 12" aluminum hold-down stakes in those holes to firmly secure the launcher. Just the weight of the 8' 1010 rail laid horizontally is enough to unbalance the tripod.

But for someone who may be thinking of making this type of rail launcher, it's good to point out that some form of hold-down is needed. Thanks for the note...

If you are flying a light design like the 24mm Minimum Diameter model in one of my pics', than you can see why I prefer a long rigid rail, even for smaller rockets.
In the event that a motor "Chuffs", it does not pop the rocket to a height that could, if the motor ignites at the apogee of the chuff, cause a possible skewed trajectory, from either unsafe launch velocity or wobble, like you get with a rod when that situation occurs.
Safety first.

I'de hate to have that minimum diameter Alpha with launch lugs and only a 36" or 48" 1/8" rod chuff right up and off, only to ignite while horizontal.
I've not yet flown such lightweight models on composite motors, but I have seen chuffs in composites that have had sufficient thrust to bounce a heavier rocket a little on the pad.

I'll still launch 13mm stuff from the 48X1/8" rod, but after that I'll enjoy my rail buttons.

Maybe if someone brings back 13mm composite SU motors, I'll make them to fly from a rail too.

Last edited:
Even my LPR stuff is now fitted with micro railbuttons from railbuttons.com
The micro rails have less rod whip, and I only have to take one launch pad setup to the range. Our club on the other hand has 1/8" thru 1/4" rods, a micr rail, 1010, and now 1515 rails.

Back