rail launcher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you give us more detail about exactly what you are looking for?

Sent an email to Royce asking for information 2 weeks ago and never heard anything back. These look like nice pads.
They are very nice pads. I am very surprised he hasn't got back to you yet. I had great communication with him through out the whole build.

My recommendation?

Build your own....

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1453580415.141266.jpg

That's one of those halogen light stands. I have the rail attached with carriage bolts and wing nuts. I can set it up in less than a minute, and at teardown, pull the top bolt, the tripod folds up and you're good to go...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1453580813.005116.jpg

Very handy :)

Build your own usually comes out how you want/need it to.:)

A lot of folks here are proud to pay $200-$300 or more for someone to build and ship one to them.

Hey, if you have that kinda' loot, good for you, but I can handle making a piece of Rail stand up straight or at a slight angle for a lot less.

Build your own usually comes out how you want/need it to.:)

Hey, if you have that kinda' loot, good for you, but I can handle making a piece of Rail stand up straight or at a slight angle for a lot less.

+1

Total cost on mine... Zero

I built mine (post #18) from stuff I had laying around, I never used the stand for the lights anyway, and the maintenance guy at work gave me the rail. I offered him $20, but he wouldn't take it.

Heck, maybe I should start building and selling rail launch pads!

Whatever you end up with, don't forget that Makerbeam Rail fit's right into 1010 Rail so you can have a 2 in 1 Rail.

Todays Makerbeam Discovery 2015-04-17 001.jpg2015-05-13 001 2015-05-13 008.jpg2015-05-13 001 2015-05-13 010.jpgTodays Makerbeam Discovery 2015-04-17 002.jpg

Unless you do high power launches all the time don't waste your money on a launch rail, just use a cheap launch pad. Small rocket kits never come with rail buttons, so you don't have to deal with that inconvenience.

Unless you do high power launches all the time don't waste your money on a launch rail, just use a cheap launch pad. Small rocket kits never come with rail buttons, so you don't have to deal with that inconvenience.

Sure, just use crappy gear and crappy old school launch lugs. Who cares about anything if you're not doing High-Power all the time.

Nothing wrong at all with chintzy crappy launch rods and pads.:facepalm:

I don't like you RocketryBill.

Your thinking is not very revolutionary at all.

Allow me to pop an ice-cube into that scolding hot ramen you just served yourself. You may joke and think my thinking is pre-dated into the soviet era, however only a true visionary would see the great capabilities of old-school launch lugs.

Royce built a custom extra large launch pad at our AARG club. It's a good thing it supports the classic rod, cause boy I bet 99% of the rockets fired off that pad will need it.

Thanks Royce!

14639853492_cb51f7724d_o.jpg

Last edited:
That's very clever.

Thanks. It also serves the purpose of enhancing the rigidity of the makerbeam.

Were they separate, the makerbeam would be easily damaged by accident.
I had a a heck of a time getting a straight piece of makerbeam, as it ships UPS.:mad:

Thankfully, a member here was willing to make a trade, and properly package a section of it that they had received un-bent, since they come in two-packs.

I intend to keep my fragile makerbeam rail in its straight condition at all costs, as I now use buttons on nearly everything.

I keep the 2 in 1 Rail in a thick walled 2" cardboard shipping tube when not in use for protection, but I think a fishing rod case would be good to look for at garage sales this spring.

Back