Using a Cricut for rocketry projects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to be purchasing a Cricut Explore Air. I'd like to know if anyone has used one of these to do any rocketry related projects (transitions, fins, wraps, etc.).

might get a bigger response if folks knew what the gizmo does...I gather from looking it up, that it can be used to cut shapes etc. for scapbooking, and nope haven't tried it.
Rex

I use a Silhouette Cameo for model rockets and aircraft projects.

Mostly for vinyl markings and paint masks so far, but I see paper transitions and other similar things coming soon.

There are some craft cutter threads around here... One is over in the Techniques discussion area.

I think a cutter that uses a PC and computer based files to direct the cutter is the way to go.
For instance, I can draw a graphic in simple CAD formats like .dxf and .dwg, and send it right to the Silhouette software and instantly cut it.

I never liked the older Cricuts dependence on cartridges and how they sued the company that was marketing software that allowed Cricuts owners to use a PC to send cut files to the Cricuts.

The Cricut Expression debuted with the ability to do your own designing... But only over the internet via Cricut on-line software and storage space. You could not even use the compatible cartridges unless you were on line. Cricut was supposed to release the ability to design and cut offline (like the Silhouette and all other craft cutters) late this year, finally bringing them up to date with the rest of the market.

Last edited:
I just bought my wife a CriCut Explore Air for Christmas, it does have a limitation of 12"x24", but you should be able to do your own vinyl on it with the better cutters they have now. Of course Cricuts design software is a web browser thing and there are no 3rd party solutions currently. You upload your design to their server and manipulate it there then send it to your machine to cut.

My wife has had one for about 5-6, and fortunately got the software that allows you to create your own custom designs before they got sued. Unfortunately, it means that the software hasn't been updated in about two years, so she has had issues with it at times because of OS and hardware changes that have presented some workflow challenges. Some things turn out OK, but then at times the device will just inexplicably stop mid-cut. Since my wife uses it for just about everything in the world EXCEPT scrapbooking, the cartridges that are out there are about useless to her. She only got it at the time because there was 3rd party software available that worked quite well. For these reasons, when it comes time for her to find a new hobby cutter, she'll probably go to one that does not lock you into their proprietary crap.

The entire arts and crafts market is just full of manufacturers that want to keep people locked into buying nothing but their hardware and software and have gone out of their way to make sure you pay them too much for proprietary cables/card readers/cartridges, etc., instead of putting simple USB interfaces or SD/CF readers on them. Her Brother embroidery machine is much the same way, she has to load her designs into a proprietary card/card reader then plug the card into the machine.

might get a bigger response if folks knew what the gizmo does...I gather from looking it up, that it can be used to cut shapes etc. for scapbooking, and nope haven't tried it.
Rex
This is it. https://us.cricut.com/home/

It will cut balsa. (I'm guessing up to between 1/16" to 3/32" and possibly 1/8") so it might be useful for cutting fins. It will cut cardstock, thin plastics, and thin aluminum. Might be good for cutting parachute gores. I doubt it will cut Kevlar. It will also print colors if I understand what it does so making vinyl decals is possible.

The list price for the full system with supplies is ~$330. It's wireless so it will connect to most modern tables and computers.

https://shop.cricut.com/en_us/machines/cricut-explore-air.html

It would be nice it the website had more technical information, but it's designed for mass marketing, and $330 for the full-blown package is no more than artsy crafty hobbyist would spend to this type of product.

Bob

The Cricut Explore Air (newest version) can be found on sale this time of year for about $250 (I just paid $229 for it as a bundle with extra stuff from JoAnn's Fabrics for my wife). Maximum material cutting depth is 1.5mm so 1/16th balsa is barely doable if it will work (testing required). Cricuts don't actually print they either cut with a blade cartridge or draw using special ink pens. Multi-piece vinyl decals are doable, they just take a little extra work lining the pieces up on the transfer tape. The mats that the Cricuts uses are expendable in that they have an adhesive on them to hold the work piece being cut, they come in 6"x12", 12"x12", and 12"x24" (there may be others). If some already owns a cartridge with special designs from an earlier model Cricut they can still be used via the online software, you just enter the cartridge serial number into your accounts database.

The Explore has several variants the main ones being:

Explore Air= Bluetooth built in and two cutter/pen holders so it can cut or draw,

Explore=USB connection to computer or a separate bluetooth adapter is available for purchase, it also has 2 cutter/pen holders,

Explore One= USB connection, not sure if Bluetooth adapter is available but probably, ONE cutter holder or pen holder.

Edit: iirc all the models can do the same functions other than cutting and drawing without changing tools, the Explore One only having one tool holder requires changing tools before doing another task, where as the other two model can cut then immediately start a draw operation without changing tools.

The Cricuts are really neat tools but they do have a fair learning curve, I happen to have 3 sisters, 2 sister-in-laws, and my Mother that all own them and most of the cartridges between them, the new cricut can make use of jpgs and other file formats in the Design Room online software to create your own designs. Maximum size of work piece is the size of the largest mat iirc so about 12"x24". There are probably lots of things I have missed but basically if its under a 1/16th of an inch and you can cut it easily with a Xacto knife then the Cricut is able to cut it, as for the thin aluminum its probably more like foil thickness. My wife is just itching to get at her's, of course I plan on using it as much or more than her. :eek:

Last edited:
Vinyl cutters are great for lettering, and for making grills, static port markings, and other features.
Learn the trick of peeling away the waste vinyl that you don't want to apply, then cover with painters tape, peel up, and apply to your rocket.
The painter's tape peels off easily, leaving the letters with the original perfect spacing.

roxvinyl2.jpg

By the way, this is kit (Estes PS II, I think, or maybe Executioner) that I went a little overboard on with custom laser cut fins.

Last edited:
I own an older CriCut and use the older 3rd party software. Once that functionality went away the CriCut is a paperweight. The cartridges are a joke and expensive. Buy a Cameo or a Black Cat and Make the Cut software for really great functionality. Just my $.02.

I know that they are a little more expensive than the mass-market Cricut and Cameo systems, but KNK makes some very nice cutters from what i can tell. The new one they have coming out early next year supports a dremel as well as the cutting and embossing. It could be a solution to all of us hobbyists who can't use an exacto and scissors to save our lives.

Thanks Jason

The KNK machine is the most versatile I have seen at that price point. Really great that there is a rotary tool option and 3rd party software is available. That should make cutting centering rings a breeze.

Thanks Jason

The KNK machine is the most versatile I have seen at that price point. Really great that there is a rotary tool option and 3rd party software is available. That should make cutting centering rings a breeze.

Agreed. I am on the fence on pulling the trigger for this. On one hand I KNOW that I'll use it but on the other hand there is a good chance that after a month or so it'll just collect dust if it's a pain in the butt. The dremel option is what is really pushing me on this one. I don't think that you'd be able to pull off cutting fiberglass plate but it would really make cutting thicker basswood and aircraft ply pretty simple.

I don't want to hijack the thread but if you took shallow cuts by manipulating the software it shouldn't be a problem. You may have to change out the cutter more frequently since fiberglass is a bear on cutters. This is one of those tools that I have used for a bunch of stuff that you normally wouldn't think of ie. signs, tool box labels, panel stencils, printed circuit masks and Christmas presents. With a rotary tool attachment I would be willing to bet that it could drill the through holes and vias for the PC boards. Just my thoughts.

To get the thread back on track, what materials have Cricut users cut that are rocketry related.

So what is the name of the third party software?

Thanks for the replies!

Makes the cut or sure cuts a lot are two that I am familiar with. I went with Makes the Cut because I liked the UI. They each have a 30 day trial period.

Joe

So I just wonder what the last version was that would load the cricut plugin. The fact that they sued others and disabled use of their hardware with other programs is not really a killer for me. My wife will be using it more than I. I'll probably be purchasing one next week.

So I just wonder what the last version was that would load the cricut plugin. The fact that they sued others and disabled use of their hardware with other programs is not really a killer for me. My wife will be using it more than I. I'll probably be purchasing one next week.

I bought an Explore Air for my wife for Christmas, the lack of stand alone software at the moment is not a deal killer. I will probably use it as much as my wife....

Back