M Class Avionics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

So we have a massive engine for which we've developed a rocket for. The engine has a solenoid valve which we need to control and shut off if the gyro sensor shows an extreme tilt and also open and shut after a pre-defined burn time. We also have to use an altitude sensor to record altitude to an SD card and deploy parachutes via a charge and apogee and a second pre-determined altitude. We also want to have a camera which logs to an SD card. Also an accelerometer to log acceleration and allow us to work out velocity.

I know thats a lot of requests but we have very little electronics experience so would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about the solenoids, but I know you can use keychain cameras (BayouRat Rocketry), or a Mobius camera for your camera.

For the accelerometer, I believe the Raven 3 does that. It's about $150. It will also deploy your parachutes.

EDIT: I know that the Altus Metrum series of avionics has a few electronics that can abort an event if the rocket senses more than a certain tilt. I also know that the tiltometer can do the same.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! Would I be able to do all of this with one arduino do you think? And do you know of any good guides that explain how to manufacture them?

Heh.... I have almost NO experience with Arduino. I think the farthest I got was making a few LED's turn on.

All of the functions you are talking about are doable, but you actually have to know how to do them. A microprocessor without software is just a useless piece of impure silicon and metal.

There are off-the-shelf systems like the Altus Metrum that do most of what you are talking about, but at a minimum you would need to add an external solenoid driver.

Thank you all for your advice it is very much appreciated. I shall look into everything ASAP and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

I've been developing an avionics board that you might be interested in, but it's not cheap. PM me if you're interested in beta-testing it at BOM cost. Thanks for reminding me that I should add inductive flyback voltage protection though.

Last edited:
I've been developing an avionics board that you might be interested in, but it's not cheap. PM me if you're interested in beta-testing it at BOM cost. Thanks for reminding me that I should add flyback protection though.

Holee Cripes!

Wetmelon, if you have the where-with-all to do that kind of experimentation at least consider changing your moniker to something like, "One Smart WetMelon".
Kurt Savegnago

Im not an electronics guy but I do mess with solenoids (hybrid guy),

I would understand a few things about the solenoid, it takes a significantly higher voltage and current to open (in a NC) or close (in a NO) the solenoid than to keep it in that state. For the hybrid solenoids, I use a capacitor and resistor to lower the voltage and current after the solenoid actuates. This does a couple of things, it lowers the power needed plus the solenoid runs MUCH cooler. Without a resistor they will burn out (ask me how I know).

Mike K

Im not an electronics guy but I do mess with solenoids (hybrid guy),

I would understand a few things about the solenoid, it takes a significantly higher voltage and current to open (in a NC) or close (in a NO) the solenoid than to keep it in that state. For the hybrid solenoids, I use a capacitor and resistor to lower the voltage and current after the solenoid actuates. This does a couple of things, it lowers the power needed plus the solenoid runs MUCH cooler. Without a resistor they will burn out (ask me how I know).

Mike K

I'll bite.. how do you know? :p

And if I were to PM you a solenoid data sheet would you by any chance be able to explain parts of it to me? I would really appreciate it!

Hi all!

So we have a massive engine for which we've developed a rocket for. The engine has a solenoid valve which we need to control and shut off if the gyro sensor shows an extreme tilt and also open and shut after a pre-defined burn time. We also have to use an altitude sensor to record altitude to an SD card and deploy parachutes via a charge and apogee and a second pre-determined altitude. We also want to have a camera which logs to an SD card. Also an accelerometer to log acceleration and allow us to work out velocity.

I know thats a lot of requests but we have very little electronics experience so would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Waitaminute here.....tell me more...what kind of engine? What's the impulse? Where you going to fly that thing and do you have proper clearance (FAA)?
no matter what this is EX so you gotta be Tripoli Level 2 to legally fly in the US, so you wouldn't be asking these things.
If you're not US, we need to be watching out for ITAR

I really think you need to gain some significant experience before you fly a M motor. You know, walk before you try to run...

We're in the UK. And whilst I thank you for your concern we have one of the top dogs on the UK scene on our team. For him this will be a walk he just wants our help with avionics as he doesn't know too much about that side.

Waitaminute here.....tell me more...what kind of engine? What's the impulse? Where you going to fly that thing and do you have proper clearance (FAA)?
no matter what this is EX so you gotta be Tripoli Level 2 to legally fly in the US, so you wouldn't be asking these things.
If you're not US, we need to be watching out for ITAR

I really think you need to gain some significant experience before you fly a M motor. You know, walk before you try to run...

This is NOT true. The Tripoli Level 2 requirement for EX is ONLY for Tripoli sanctioned launches. It has nothing to do with legality and everything to do with Tripoli insurance. i.e. money. That may mean the L2 requirement applies to any Tripoli launch no matter what country it's in.

Last edited:
I'll bite.. how do you know? :p

They smell like burnt chocolate when the coil burns out...
Left the vent on, once the nitrous ran out it started to overhead and fry the coil.

I rigged up a solenoid saver, having said that there are lots of people on here that know better than me, so...

Can someone post a schematic for a R/C solenoid saver?

Mike K

This is NOT true. The Tripoli Level 2 requirement for EX is ONLY for Tripoli sanctioned launches. It has nothing to do with legality and everything to do with Tripoli insurance. i.e. money. That may mean the L2 requirement applies to any Tripoli launch no matter what country it's in.

Ahhhhh,

If a person has their own property, gets a waiver on their own from the FAA they can mix and do whatever they want. They're responsible for everything though. Kurt

Back