Woodworking project - need your opinions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
So I bought this piece of padauk a few months ago. I squared off the edges so it is now about 28.25 X 12.25 inches. As a Christmas present for my wife I want to make a work table using the multi-colored side as the top. However, she slightly prefers the solid color side, although she said I could use either side as the top.

I found some more padauk at the hardwood store that has a similar multicolor grain and will use that as the sides of the table. I will make the top hinged so that there is storage inside the table. I bought some 1/2 inch aspen to use inside the table as dividers in the storage area. Aspen is white and a pretty close match to the whitish color of the padauk. She doesn't know that I am making a hinged top with storage inside.

So would you use the multicolor side or the solid color side on top?

IMG_4094.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

So I bought this piece of padauk a few months ago. I squared off the edges so it is now about 28.25 X 12.25 inches. As a Christmas present for my wife I want to make a work table using the multi-colored side as the top. However, she slightly prefers the solid color side, although she said I could use either side as the top.

I found some more padauk at the hardwood store that has a similar multicolor grain and will use that as the sides of the table. I will make the top hinged so that there is storage inside the table. I bought some 1/2 inch aspen to use inside the table as dividers in the storage area. Aspen is white and a pretty close match to the whitish color of the padauk. She doesn't know that I am making a hinged top with storage inside.

So would you use the multicolor side or the solid color side on top?

View attachment 277134

View attachment 277135
I would go with the solid colour only for the reason it may be able to be matched and restained/repaired easier. I do think there is a kinda 'Japanese wave' style in the other surface that could be highlighted for good effect.

Two ways to answer this question, both with the same result.

Answer #1

In my house, if my wife said she preferred the solid color on top, that would be the answer. Nice and simple. If I started questioning her authority on furniture related items, she might start questioning mine in other areas..... :wink:

Answer #2:

It's all about color coordination. If the aspen matches the padauk, put them together. This is how my mother taught me to pick out my clothes, and I've never advanced my knowledge in the the dark arts of fashion. Then again, a colleague of mine retold a story of many years ago, when I was such a bad dresser at work (different company) They used to make bets on what I would wear, then come down to my floor to settle the day's book making.....

If you are using a similar multi color grain on the sides, I think that using the multi color on the inside would tie the storage area to the rest of the piece.

You're making a gift for your wife. You may want to consider her preferences if your goal is fr her to enjoy it :=)

Ari.

Another nice wood with similar color Bloodwood, that's the piece on the left with the runners of poplar glued to it so I could flatten it with my thickness planer (it had about 1/8" twist to it).

I would definitely take the wifes opinion into account, however using the bi-color section on the inside would definitely tie in the top with the dividers.

Bedparts2.jpg

I would definitely take the wifes opinion into account, however using the bi-color section on the inside would definitely tie in the top with the dividers.

View attachment 277175

I hadn't thought about that. Maybe I'll make everything without the top and then make a decision about which side to use.

I have never used bloodwood, but I am pretty sure that they have some at the store. They have two pieces of padauk that are 12-14 feet long and about 10 inches wide. If I could figure out a use for them I would get them. At $150 each they are a bit pricey to speculate on.

Have you seen canary wood? Its gorgeous too.

I hadn't thought about that. Maybe I'll make everything without the top and then make a decision about which side to use.

I have never used bloodwood, but I am pretty sure that they have some at the store. They have two pieces of padauk that are 12-14 feet long and about 10 inches wide. If I could figure out a use for them I would get them. At $150 each they are a bit pricey to speculate on.

Have you seen canary wood? Its gorgeous too.

That piece of BloodWood and the piece of maple under it are going to become a laminated Mortise gauge and a a Marking Gauge as well, with brass fittings. Just gotta finish the bunk beds first which is what the pieces in the picture are. Today cut all the mortises for the top and bottom rails on the head boards, footboards, and gaurd rails. The plan is from Rockler its a Mission style bunk bed.

This is one of the guard rails.
.BedGuardRailDryFit.jpg

Last edited:
Back