SPEV Chronicles Vol2: Iroquois-G

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
Continuing with a previous theme of rockets designed to use up existing parts, I present the Iroquois-G:

23078369829_ac9972b683_b.jpg
22817979884_d3864548e1_b.jpg

The story - I recently kit-bashed a Pro Series II Argent to build an upscaled Cherokee-D (it would be more expedient to use the Panavia now). That left me with a number of extra parts, namely the fins, the 2" upper tube and the 2" nose cone. Of course, it also leaves the 2"-2.5" transition, but that doesn't play into this. Knowing this would be the case, when I ordered the 2.5" nose cone needed for the Cherokee, I also ordered a slotted 2" lower tube and 2" coupler.

Fast forward to when the Cherokee is done and flown, I decided that since the original Argent fins are Cherokee-like (though not of the same proportions), that the finished rocket will also be Cherokee-like. However, the slotted 2" tube has four slots rather than three, so not only would the rocket have somewhat different fins, it would have four of them. But given that the overall length to diameter ratio would be proportionally taller than a Cherokee, we wind up with a rocket which is clearly related to - but distinctly different from - the Cherokee. A cousin, perhaps. So I decided to name it for a different tribe, and picked one that was NY-based originally. Thus the Iroquois-G was born. Fitting with the theme, Mark Hayes modified a set of Cherokee-G decals by changing the name, the color and allowing for four fins.

The final product is 2" diameter, 36.75" long, weighs about 12.5 oz. I made the first flight on an E30T-7 with an adapter, which should be good for about 900' based on Rocksim projection. A G80 should push it to around 2300', though I'm holding off on that sort of thing (like with a lot of rockets) until I can get my hands on a JL Chute Release.

22746156504_eeced87534_b.jpg
23078725860_69b5e6a642_b.jpg

Back