Can model rocket motor hardware be shipped internationally?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wil

Reaction score
Multiple websites say that they do not ship rocket motors outside the USA . I can understand this for single use motors and reloads, but does this still include hardware as long as no propellant is included?
Also, can igniters be shipped internationally as well?

I am trying to ship to New Zealand and will probably have to use an 'on shipping service' to handle the shipping (it is still much cheaper this way).

I know that you can purchase these same motors here (29/40-120 hardware), I am only buying them elsewhere to save money, so I don't think that restrictions will be an issue.

Last edited:
Multiple websites say that they do not ship rocket motors outside the USA . I can understand this for single use motors and reloads, but does this still include hardware as long as no propellant is included?

Well, I can't say for certain if they are importable to the country you're wanting to... However a "lamp" or a "table" might slip by...

il_570xN.281516263.jpg
28730f72189b7c2f8dd4f80a99ed972a.jpg

I've purchased motor hardware from US sites several times. It is sometimes difficult to get someone to be willing to ship the items out of the U.S. because of hassles with international shipping/tracking etc. To me, this has been more of a barrier than motors as motors. When I purchased some hybrid motors, I was clear to the seller that any preheater grains needed to be disposed of prior to sending me the reloads. Same for igniters. --- to be clear, I meant that I also asked for igniters to be excluded from hybrid reload orders. Angelo makes a good point below. There may be restrictions depending on your Country. Export or Import.

Last edited:
It depends on what you are shipping and where to.

Hardware can usually be shipped internationally, unless there are restrictions in that specific country. You also may have import and customs fees being charged to the receiver.

As for igniters, that is completely different. They may be considered HAZMAT so you would need approval from the carrier to even ship them. And for example in the USA, the buyer (and seller ) need a LEUP in order to buy them.

Ok, I think that shipping the hardware will be fine.

Are you sure you need an LEUP to buy igniters? So for any rocket launch in the USA someone needs an LEUP just to ignite it, even for the smallest of rockets?

... So for any rocket launch in the USA someone needs an LEUP just to ignite it, even for the smallest of rockets?
you would need to check. But my understanding is you can use the igniters that come with the motors, but it is difficult to buy them on their own. Model rocket motors are different and can be easily bought

I am trying to ship to New Zealand and will probably have to use an 'on shipping service' to handle the shipping (it is still much cheaper this way).

I know that you can purchase these same motors here (29/40-120 hardware), I am only buying them elsewhere to save money, so I don't think that restrictions will be an issue.

I can't imagine there would be any restriction on shipping motor hardware. Igniters might be a different story.

I'm in the US, and I can buy these >>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJRORBA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm not entirely certain it's legal to do so, - just saying it can be done. (not suggesting you should do anything illegal) So if you are in New Zealand, is something like that available to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't they simply aluminum tubes?
That's what I thought until I saw it say "Sorry... We do NOT ship rocket engines outside the USA." on the apogee components website in the space under the reloads (does hardware count as a rocket engine?). Just wanting to make sure before sending it to an international shipping company otherwise I might not be able to return it.

Last edited:
I can't imagine there would be any restriction on shipping motor hardware. Igniters might be a different story.

I'm in the US, and I can buy these >>> https://www.amazon.com/BILUSOCN-Firew.../dp/B00RJRORBA

I'm not entirely certain it's legal to do so, - just saying it can be done. (not suggesting you should do anything illegal) So if you are in New Zealand, is something like that available to you?
Those were exactly the igniters I was looking at buying. You can buy them in NZ but it is at least twice the price of anything in the US.
Oh well, I guess I'll just get the hardware then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back