World records

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is altitude world records for each size of motor. For instance the world record rocket flight for a rocket using a single D12?

Both of the clubs I belong to have club records & some happen to be TRA records.

Wow, Thats a nice list!

28k+ on a L640!

I bookmarked it to try and get my name on the list a couple times.

I find the NAR list unbelievably confusing. It seems like there are so many categories, age divisions, etc. that I simply have no idea how to find a simple answer to basic "what is the X record" questions. And with (as Bob noted) TRA's webpages being broken, out of date, or whatever, it's hardly any better there.

Say I wanted to know - "What are the current NAR/TRA altitude records for F-impulse motors?". The more I try to find out, the more confusing it gets.

s6

I find the NAR list unbelievably confusing. It seems like there are so many categories, age divisions, etc. that I simply have no idea how to find a simple answer to basic "what is the X record" questions.

It's easy as "A, B, C..." NAR distinguishes the records set by kids, teenagers, adults, and teams. As for the categories... welcome to wide world of rocketry.

Like hsa been said the NAR list is broken out by age division and then event. If you want the highest recorded F Alt flight you have to look at all divisions.

It's currently 2089m set in Team division. Optically tracked, too.

If you are trying to set a record, you'd look at your age division- assuming you're over 18 that would be C division, and you'd have to get an optically tracked flight over 1741m or fly an altimeter over 1701m to get on the list.

kj

I find the NAR list unbelievably confusing. It seems like there are so many categories, age divisions, etc. that I simply have no idea how to find a simple answer to basic "what is the X record" questions. And with (as Bob noted) TRA's webpages being broken, out of date, or whatever, it's hardly any better there.

Say I wanted to know - "What are the current NAR/TRA altitude records for F-impulse motors?". The more I try to find out, the more confusing it gets.

s6

2089 METERS?!

:y:
Altitude events may use single or multistage rockets and the relevant item is the total installed impulse, so for 80 Ns F altitude events you could launch a 2-stage rocket with each stage using a full 40 Ns E motor...

Bob

s6

the NAR records are simple enough for an A divisioner to read. Simply look at the event and read the record. A division is for kids 7 -13, B division 14-18, C-division 19 & Up, D division is for Teams. If your looking for D12 Altitiude records just look for that Altitude competition F-motor in your age division, couldn't be any easier.

for your Example
A-div. F altitude 1829m
B-div. F Alt. 1430m
C-Div F Alt. 1741m
F Alt/alt 1701m / altimeter
T-Div F Alt. 2089m
F Alt/alt 856m / altimeter

Last edited:
I wonder what the Micro Maxx sized rocket record is.
I don't think anyone ever made a composite motor for an MMX Rocket.
I know about the EX motors and the Apogee in 13mm, but maybe the motor case would just be too small MMX scale to have any room left for a sliver of propellant and some kind of core ignition source.

I wonder what the Micro Maxx sized rocket record is.
I don't think anyone ever made a composite motor for an MMX Rocket.
I know about the EX motors and the Apogee in 13mm, but maybe the motor case would just be too small MMX scale to have any room left for a sliver of propellant and some kind of core ignition source.

You don't have to wonder, MMX is categorized as 1/8A in the NAR records.

Looks like 82m.

kj

https://www.fai.org/ciam-our-sport/s-space-models

This is the international spacemodeling competition organization and keepers of the international records of the covered model rocket categories.

NAR has their own US records for their classes of competition. https://www.nar.org/contest-flying/records/

TRA also has their own records, but the page links are broken.

Bob
I get Page not Found for the FAI link. I was wondering if they actually certify and maintain general altitude records in motor classes, or if they only deal with records of weird models in accordance with the specific FAI competition events?

FAI records page is now here: https://www.fai.org/page/ciam-records . Their records all relate to models that conform to the current rules for the specific events, i.e. most models have to be 40mm diameter for a majority of their length. This means the modern FAI records will be well below the maximum achievable altitude for the motor class, though some of them are pretty amazing given the constraints. Before the rule changes (years ago) the FAI records were fairly representative for the motor types. The NAR records are a better reference today.

FAI maintains records for all of their various aviation activities. Spacemodeling is a very tiny part of what they do. International model rocketry is very different from NAR style events. There are 8 events routinely held at international space modeling contests. Almost all of those are flown in a fashion similar to NAR multi-round events. So "records" are not really applicable to those events. The only FAI Spacemodeling event in which records are maintained is the altitude event, S1B. Here is a link to the current record: https://fai.org/record/18602

Since that record was set the rules have changed, outlawing pistons, so it is unlikely that record will be beaten.

As for the FAI "weird" models, LOL, the 30+ other countries who compete in those events consider them normal. NAR style events like Plastic Model Conversion, Superroc duration, Classic Model, Spot Landing, and Egg Lofting seem "weird" to them.

If you want to know the best performance of any event using standardized motors like we use in the U.S. (not routinely used in competition by the rest of the world), look at the NAR records page for low and mid-power events, Tripoli records for high power events.

FAI maintains records for all of their various aviation activities. Spacemodeling is a very tiny part of what they do. International model rocketry is very different from NAR style events. There are 8 events routinely held at international space modeling contests. Almost all of those are flown in a fashion similar to NAR multi-round events. So "records" are not really applicable to those events. The only FAI Spacemodeling event in which records are maintained is the altitude event, S1B. Here is a link to the current record: https://fai.org/record/18602

Since that record was set the rules have changed, outlawing pistons, so it is unlikely that record will be beaten.

As for the FAI "weird" models, LOL, the 30+ other countries who compete in those events consider them normal. NAR style events like Plastic Model Conversion, Superroc duration, Classic Model, Spot Landing, and Egg Lofting seem "weird" to them.

If you want to know the best performance of any event using standardized motors like we use in the U.S. (not routinely used in competition by the rest of the world), look at the NAR records page for low and mid-power events, Tripoli records for high power events.

Thanks. I don't follow FAI competition, I barely even keep track if NAR competition any more. Please tell me more about the "outlawing pistons". Is that only for records? I fully support banning p8ston launchers from NAR competition, although it has spawned a number of R&D reports.

Back