APCP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I burned an H268 from 1991 I think it was, went fine, even ignited quickly, the guy I got it from said it had been kept in a climate controlled storage area with low humidity, and the package was still factory sealed.

Nate

Are you talking about an Aerotech H 268 RL?

FYI:
AT didn't make H 268's till 2000 or later.....
The 29 mm 360 came out with the I 200 first.

JD

I burned an H268 from 1991 I think it was, went fine, even ignited quickly, the guy I got it from said it had been kept in a climate controlled storage area with low humidity, and the package was still factory sealed.

Nate

People have flown motors made in the 80's/90's a good 20 years later and they've worked. The delays can be a bit sketchy though.

However they may last a long time, but I got this recent email from Karl Baumann of Aerotech about the delays and some good advice in reply to an email I sent about a I218R that I thought the delay went way early. Actually now after a couple of months of reviewing the flight in my mind it was actually most likely a drag separation of the zipper less motor/fin section from where I forgot to friction fit the coupler.
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your post, your example is a good reason to use the motor within a reasonable time
period. What’s reasonable?, one to three years is average. The motor you flew was almost 11
years old. Redline propellant tends to sublime some of its constituents over time. We have seen
burn rate catalysts migrate into the delay propellant and accelerate its burn rate in Blue thunder
motors. This issue was mitigated by the separation of the delay grain from the propellants
by inner bagging the delay grain and eventually changing the burn rate chemical. Chemical reactions
over time do occur, so the best course of action is to use the reload in a timely manner and to
take into consideration the above information when using an older reload.

Industry standard on motor performance relating to the delay is +- 20% , so a loss of one second
over 10 years isn’t bad. My suggestion to you if you have old reloads you want to use, purchase
either an RDK pack or CRDK at the delay timing of your choice. This will insure you will be close to
the timing you expect.

Best Regards.

Karl Baumann
Vice President,
R&D and Facilities
RCS RMC, Inc.
Cedar City, Utah

Last edited:
However they may last a long time, but I got this recent email from Karl Bauman of Aerotech about the delays.

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Hi Rich,

Thanks for your post, your example is a good reason to use the motor within a reasonable time
period. What’s reasonable?, one to three years is average. The motor you flew was almost 11
years old. Redline propellant tends to sublime some of its constituents over time. We have seen
burn rate catalysts migrate into the delay propellant and accelerate its burn rate in Blue thunder
motors. This issue was mitigated by the separation of the delay grain from the propellants
by inner bagging the delay grain and eventually changing the burn rate chemical. Chemical reactions
over time do occur, so the best course of action is to use the reload in a timely manner and to
take into consideration the above information when using an older reload.

Industry standard on motor performance relating to the delay is +- 20% , so a loss of one second
over 10 years isn’t bad. My suggestion to you if you have old reloads you want to use, purchase
either an RDK pack or CRDK at the delay timing of your choice. This will insure you will be close to
the timing you expect.

Best Regards.

Karl Baumann
Vice President,
R&D and Facilities
RCS RMC, Inc.
Cedar City, Utah[/FONT]

Yes, should qualify. Throw away the delays and use electronic deployment. Then you'll be fine.

Yes, should qualify. Throw away the delays and use electronic deployment. Then you'll be fine.

I agree all my PSII rockets and larger are DD or Electronic Deploy these days, and as I acquire and build more Quarks it will be even less work, my L1 and L2 sized rockets I usually keep the regular RMS delays for backup purposes only.

Are you talking about an Aerotech H 268 RL?

FYI:
AT didn't make H 268's till 2000 or later.....
The 29 mm 360 came out with the I 200 first.

JD

Oh. Well nevermind then. Maybe the H123 was from 1991. Welp, nevermind. But it was certaintly old using an older delay sealing system with two small O-rings for the delay grain.

Nate

Back