Expensive hobby?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, isn't that 70 volumes/kits? If so, that's only about 57C/$42 each which isn't so bad. :wink:

Other hobbies are definitely more costly...even when comparing rocket kits vs. other hobby kits. I've sold single Pocher car model kits for about $1K, 1/16 die cast WWII tank kits for up to $1.5K and several Lego kits all about $800+. Which reminds me that I need to sell more to pay for that whopping BF/BS credit card bill I've racked up (and my wife recently left a print out of the charges on my desk this morning). :facepalm:

Of note though is that as you get to the really large rockets, the costs definitely...skyrocket. :wink:

As an owner of a ski boat, gas for boat, gas for truck to haul it, lake slip fees, boat accessories , etc...one weekend of boating fun could easily buy a decent size M reload

Then there is winterizing the boat, storage fees for boat....list goes on

For me I never complain nor do I care how expensive rocketry is.

Actually, isn't that 70 volumes/kits? If so, that's only about 57C/$42 each which isn't so bad. :wink:

Other hobbies are definitely more costly...even when comparing rocket kits vs. other hobby kits. I've sold single Pocher car model kits for about $1K, 1/16 die cast WWII tank kits for up to $1.5K and several Lego kits all about $800+. Which reminds me that I need to sell more to pay for that whopping BF/BS credit card bill I've racked up (and my wife recently left a print out of the charges on my desk this morning). :facepalm:

Of note though is that as you get to the really large rockets, the costs definitely...skyrocket. :wink:

As an owner of a ski boat, gas for boat, gas for truck to haul it, lake slip fees, boat accessories , etc...one weekend of boating fun could easily buy a decent size M reload

For me I never complain nor do I care how expensive rocketry is.

Ah I had a 26" cabin cruiser up in Georgian Bay for 12 years, great boating and I miss it very much. However the wife was not into it as much, then we had kids, and it is an expensive hobby to have sitting around not using so I sold my baby. Boat = hole in water you pour money into...my monthly was about $1,600. So even though the wife is not into rocketry, the kids enjoy it and it is much less expensive than boating or other hobbies, so no complaints here.

Funny thing is that yesterday my wife was telling me we should sell our boat (maybe it was all that rocketry spending!). The boat was proving to definitely be a hole in the wallet in my case. :wink:

Rocketry is cheap for sure lol / could be cheap lol

you guys above are missing depreciation on boats / we have a RV, insurance plates etc. and didn't leave the yard once yet this year :(

I have a paintball marker hording problem... That can get very expensive as well.. $100 to $2000 for each one, but unlike rocketry they don't really lose value.

Lego, got that one. it's hard to leave a store with less than $150 worth... R/C planes, yup, also a costly one. Try fly fishing.. And fly tying.. also not a cheap one to start..

I have a paintball marker hording problem... That can get very expensive as well.. $100 to $2000 for each one, but unlike rocketry they don't really lose value.

Tell that to my KP2SC I can't seem to unload for a decent price. :/

Boats.... man.... They could give 'em away free and they'd still make you broke. My wife bought a sailboat "think of all the money we'll save in gas!!!" :facepalm:
I grew up playing around on Lake Erie though, so I want the kids to enjoy that as well.

Rocketry can seem expensive at times... but it really pales in comparison to other hobbies. I think the trouble is the cost/launchtime many people look at. "$200 for a 30 second flight???" But looking at the whole experience, a couple grand a year isn't as bad as say motorcycle payments, slip fees, tires for race cars, etc. There's also not a lot of cross over uses for rocketry stuff. You spend a couple hundred on hiking boots... you can use those for more than hiking. You spend a couple hundred on an altimeter....it's not like you're going to be able to use that to make coffee or something.

All in how you count it. I enjoy building, so the $/hr enjoyment is an excellent value. If I only liked flying, this would not be a value hobby for me.

Lego, got that one. it's hard to leave a store with less than $150 worth... R/C planes, yup, also a costly one. Try fly fishing.. And fly tying.. also not a cheap one to start..

The lego store is just brutal....Felt like an addict in a bar....
15298447871_7e44904a73_z.jpg

All in how you count it. I enjoy building, so the $/hr enjoyment is an excellent value. If I only liked flying, this would not be a value hobby for me.

depends on how much data you pull out of flights. I find I'm enjoying building less and less as time goes on, and evaluating flights more and more.

Tell me about it, I have a 7 yo who likes Legos and Star Wars. He doesn't realize it yet, but he could get anything Lego for Christmas if he asked. Mercifully, he is a modest kid, so he asked for an X-wing...got off for $80. He was starting awfully hard at that Death Star and Super Star Destroyer though.

Some of the guys on the sports car forum I peruse send their Lamborghini Gallardos in to tuners for 100k+ engine upgrades so they can compete in events like the Texas Mile. It's all relative.

Www.undergroundracing.com

Last edited:
Tell me about it, I have a 7 yo who likes Legos and Star Wars. He doesn't realize it yet, but he could get anything Lego for Christmas if he asked. Mercifully, he is a modest kid, so he asked for an X-wing...got off for $80. He was starting awfully hard at that Death Star and Super Star Destroyer though.

We gave our son free rein and he only wanted a minecraft set and some small star wars stuff. I'm like "R2 looks cool right?" :( no dice, lol.

I was into R/C speedboats before rocketry. With that, the cost of a boat was $400-$500, not counting upgrades and the huge LIPO batteries needed in each. Of course, flying at 50-60 mph on water when you flip, it does damage to a FG hull. My girlfriend loves it, but every single time we'd run, I'd be nervous with over $1200 racing around on the water. With rockets, I'm risking $60 or so with my mostly MPR flights. Of course, each motor costs money, but I get more enjoyment from the rockets.

I was into R/C speedboats before rocketry. With that, the cost of a boat was $400-$500, not counting upgrades and the huge LIPO batteries needed in each. Of course, flying at 50-60 mph on water when you flip, it does damage to a FG hull. My girlfriend loves it, but every single time we'd run, I'd be nervous with over $1200 racing around on the water. With rockets, I'm risking $60 or so with my mostly MPR flights. Of course, each motor costs money, but I get more enjoyment from the rockets.

Its pretty easy to put 2500 - 3000 into a twin rigger. Then you toss it in and race 6 other boats going 90 - stuff happens real fast like. :wink:
Oh yeah , 50 a gal for nitro - glow plugs 5 bucks a pop - the support equiptment and and and ......

Funny...:)

Although, since it takes all 70 subassembly kits/volumes to build the one model it is still a hunk of money.

I think some newer kits have subassembly subscription units that are around a hundred bucks each.

Funny...:)

Although, since it takes all 70 subassembly kits/volumes to build the one model it is still a hunk of money.

I think some newer kits have subassembly subscription units that are around a hundred bucks each.

Well, that does change things! $3K for one kit is really substantial! Then again, that is a LOT of subassemblies! :wink:

So what is the kit and each "volume" like? Sounds like it's one of the top level kits out there and I've never heard of it.
Edit: Nevermind...I clicked on the other photos. Very nice! :)

Last edited:
Someone said words to this effect MANY years ago, to the general question whether the hobby is expensive:

It's only as expensive as you want it to be

The core of that holds true. Of course it'd be nice to have an unlimited budget.

So, when I see some complaining about the cost, then see what KIND of rockets some are doing that cost so much…. it's not that "the hobby" as become too expensive it's that they are doing the hobby at a level of expense that they can't justify anymore, or were over-reaching to begin with (I'm oversimplifying a bit, such as other "life" issues like reduction of income, sudden expenses such as needing to replace a car, etc).

i've had some times when I had to cut back. In some of those times I still went to club launches, but mostly to be involved with the launch, flying little. And cutting back on building more expensive stuff.

My secondary hobby is R/C planes (and some multicopter flying in the last year). The expense of those is sort of relative and sort of based on luck or other random events. Once having bought say a Radian Electric plane and having four battery packs (and a charger that can charge 4 packs), I can fly for two hours, and in theory fly all day long (always charging 2-3 packs), for a few cents worth of the electricity to charge the battery packs, and a few cents of depreciation on the battery packs for eventual replacement. BUT, stuff happens, R/C models can crash (The last two major crashes I had, one was a bad receiver brand that turned out have terrible range, the other was a stupid thing I did at low altitude too far away). So then there is the cost of repair, or replacement if it's a total loss or if the model flies away. But for awhile, I had a string of several years where I flew the same electric sailplane on hundreds of flights without incident, the only cost was the electricity to charge the batteries, and the packs going bad due to so many charge cycles, so I had to replace them. Indeed, ironically, that electric sailplane that I flew for so many years, was the one that had a bad crash due to changing from 72 mHz to a 2.4Gig receiver that turned out to be a bad receiver with terrible range.

More often, the cost of something new, whether a new model (like getting into Multicopters) or a piece of equipment (upgrading to a charger that can charge 4 packs). The Quadcopter I have is one I built mostly from scratch (using a $10 frame), which saved some $ and let me build what I wanted (it's a 250 sized model that I added GPS to). I have not had a major crash with it, so far the extra expenses with it have been minor to replace broken props from "landing incidents". The technology allowing these models to work and fly like this, software tweakable by the flier (ArduPilot type), is still incredible. And….the flight controllers used for those can be used to make model rockets fly vertically…. such controllers themselves cost as little as $25 now.

- George Gassaway

[video=youtube;vS2dcA2Wp84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2dcA2Wp84[/video]

Last edited:
For years I have sort of straddled the hobbies of radio controlled aircraft and rocketry.

Almost universally, the rocket folks that were not familiar with RC were of the opinion that RC was more expensive than rocketry. And, almost universally, the RC folks not familiar with rocketry felt that rocketry was more expensive than RC.

:)

Last edited:

My 6 year old son has a bad case of Lego fever. I am guessing that he has about 200 kits, mostly Star Wars, City and Arctic. I keep threatening him when he misbehaves that daddy is going to sell all of his Lego and retire early.

My 6 year old son has a bad case of Lego fever. I am guessing that he has about 200 kits, mostly Star Wars, City and Arctic. I keep threatening him when he misbehaves that daddy is going to sell all of his Lego and Build his level three 98mm CF tomach for an O3400

There I fixed it for you....

My neighbor has an expensive hobby. He remote-starts his deisel pickup at o-dark-thirty, idles it for 10-15 minutes, then gets in and takes off only to return 10 minutes later with a cup of coffee from the convenience store. The expense is the risk of a ticket for loud exhaust. Also a warm cab is important with sleeve tatoos as it's hard to be intimidating with goosebumps all over 'em.

My neighbor has an expensive hobby. He remote-starts his deisel pickup at o-dark-thirty, idles it for 10-15 minutes, then gets in and takes off only to return 10 minutes later with a cup of coffee from the convenience store. The expense is the risk of a ticket for loud exhaust. Also a warm cab is important with sleeve tatoos as it's hard to be intimidating with goosebumps all over 'em.

HA! There must be a club because I had a neighbor like that once too. Nothing like the sounds and smells of diesel wafting into the house at 5:30am...

Back