TLP PAC-3 and Bullpup-c

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidPaintball

Reaction score
I finally started with one of my TLP kits out of my stash... To be honest they kind of scared me due to all the paper parts, but sucking it up and getting over my fear.

I cracked open the kit today and started work. But i noticed the balsa is kind of weak. I almost feel that if i used these I would need a gallon of CA to get these strong. Besides replacing the balsa with basswood or even using a gallon of CA, what other method is recommended? Also the clay was rock hard and the package was inflated like a balloon, but im thinking about lead and using my foam to replace it. Is the chutes any good? I know Mylar can be easily torn, but it is also light and due to TLP trying to keep the weight down i figured that was the reason?

Anyways I love how many of their kits has the engine mount a good 1 1/2" into the body. So i tried to get fancy, which i might have done it wrong but i still like how it came out..

WP_20151129_22_23_49_Pro_zpsbcvkpe3g.jpg

tried to simulate metal in there with aluminum foil on the body ring, but next time i try this i will pick up dollar general foil; its heavier and less wrinkles.

Last edited:
I wrote a review of this kit for Rocket Reviews a month ago, but it has yet to be published. That would have hopefully answered your questions.

I used basswood for the lower fins, and made them TTW. IMO, the Mylar is no good for a rocket this big, go with a nylon chute. As far as the clay, weigh it and make sure whatever nose weight you use is at least as heavy.

If you want your rocket to really stand out, try these vinyl decals: https://stickershock23.com/PAC-3.html.

I seen your thread on your build and others about the witches hat. I like the ideas! Too bad I didn't look here first before diving into the kit...

Also do you have pic's of your finished rocket?

Acid,
For strengthening of balsa wood, perhaps papering them may be the answer to your dilemma. You wouldn't need a bunch of CA, nor would you need to shop for an alternative fin stock. Since I assume the balsa fins are on the thin side, perhaps using label paper instead of glue&copy paper would be beneficial (the latter could lead to warping of the balsa due to the H2O content in the glue).

To simulate aluminum, I used Rustoleum "Metallic Aluminum"; it didnt give it that somewhat fake looking ridiculous shine, yet still kept some degree of metal glimmer.

looking forward to your build

Last edited:
Awesome! I have the kit as well and I've been dying to build it. :)

IMHO TLP kits are made to be built light...otherwise they may not fly on a D12-3. The balsa can be sketchy, so you can 1) replace with your own balsa; 2) CA them as per instructions or 3) paper them. I'd say 1 or 3 is best, but that's my opinion after having the CA warp the fins like mad and spending a lot of time straightening them (maybe doing both sides at once would be better than one side at a time).

If you prefer a stronger build, basswood is a good option; however it would make it heavier, so be aware of that.

You can replace the clay with some of your own...same weight or a bit more to account for the moisture loss (try weighing the clay in the package, then subtracting the package weight).

Awesome! I have the kit as well and I've been dying to build it. :)

IMHO TLP kits are made to be built light...otherwise they may not fly on a D12-3. The balsa can be sketchy, so you can 1) replace with your own balsa; 2) CA them as per instructions or 3) paper them. I'd say 1 or 3 is best, but that's my opinion after having the CA warp the fins like mad and spending a lot of time straightening them (maybe doing both sides at once would be better than one side at a time).

If you prefer a stronger build, basswood is a good option; however it would make it heavier, so be aware of that.

You can replace the clay with some of your own...same weight or a bit more to account for the moisture loss (try weighing the clay in the package, then subtracting the package weight).

Well I did the papering and sealed on the edges with ca. They came out good for the most part... bit warped. But after attaching to the body they were solid, which I was very surprised due to the lightness of the balsa in the kits.

The paper part for the tip was extremely easy, just time consuming. I picked up more paper before I started the hat and made some templates, which I never needed. Now all I need is the acme rail guides to finish it up.

Wow! Looks great! Good luck on your first flight...let us know how it goes!

BTW - I mentioned earlier that "If you prefer a stronger build, basswood is a good option; however it would make it heavier, so be aware of that"; however I should've also added that the extra weight would be on the back end, which may throw off the CP/CG (on a rocket with very small fins to begin with), so anyone going that route may want to add a bit more nose weight for an extra measure of stability IMHO & YMMV.

Wow! Looks great! Good luck on your first flight...let us know how it goes!

BTW - I mentioned earlier that "If you prefer a stronger build, basswood is a good option; however it would make it heavier, so be aware of that"; however I should've also added that the extra weight would be on the back end, which may throw off the CP/CG (on a rocket with very small fins to begin with), so anyone going that route may want to add a bit more nose weight for an extra measure of stability IMHO & YMMV.

I was about to order bass stock, but I was wanting to do a tlp kit with out to many mods. So I kept this one near vanilla as much as I can and I enjoyed the build. I know I'm ordering more once I can unpack the rest and figure out what I don't own. :facepalm:

I was about to order bass stock, but I was wanting to do a tlp kit with out to many mods. So I kept this one near vanilla as much as I can and I enjoyed the build. I know I'm ordering more once I can unpack the rest and figure out what I don't own. :facepalm:

LOL! I know where you're at...I'm trying to slowly acquire many of the TLP kits and they certainly have a big selection of kits!

Many of my recent builds are heavy fiberglass DD affairs, but I still love TLP kits for being affordable and light. However the light also makes them more fragile and ones based on guided missiles are by nature less stable, so this is a unique niche and you don't really see many other kits like this. Still, I think it's a hoot to fly a 4' missile off the LP pads...kids definitely love it. :)

I'll also add that despite my early concerns about using the mylar chutes included, to my surprise, they've worked each time I've used them (so far). YMMV

I think I'm going to go with the mylar for this build. But finally for some eye candy?

WP_20151221_21_17_15_Pro.jpgWP_20151221_21_17_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20151221_21_16_36_Pro.jpgWP_20151221_21_16_57_Pro.jpg

I still have some light sanding cleanup, but now I cant wait to start on my Bullpup.

Last edited:
Looks FANTASTIC! Really great job on the tip!

I'm itching to start on my Bullpup as well...both of them (12C & B)! :grin:

I had to scratch my itch and here it is so far...
WP_20151226_15_06_33_Pro.jpg

I had the nose cone hanging up to fully cure and the part that was the anchor for the nose cone and string got bumped, which the nose cone took a dive.... :bang: I chipped the tip. I let a few words loose, but I think it might be fixable. We'll see.

Last edited:
Back