Leaving the hobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that. :roll: Seriously just want to get my L2. The rocket is built, just needs paint and my PML Bull Pup is about ready for paint. Those two rockets I want to complete, launch my L2 bird and retire from the hobby for awhile. Maybe spend time designing some stuff on RS. I want to mess with my RC Trucks more. I love my hobbies, but need some balance if you know what I mean?

I have an old pinball machine I want to learn how to work on. That would save me money than to have someone else do it. I also want to take some more road trips on my down time.

There's a big difference between "leaving the hobby" and "taking a break." Sounds like you need a break. Come back when you want. It's like riding a bike -- you won't forget how to do it. :wink:

I think about this when I buy something on the spendy side – what if I decide abandon the hobby. The great thing is there’s a market for the higher-priced items in used condition. Electronics, motor hardware, retainers, even chutes. I wouldn’t get what I paid for them, but that gap would be the value of the fun I had for however long I was in it.

It’s worth it.

So how many of you guys want some of my assembled kits with AP retainers. MPR mostly but well built. You know my work. Pretty OCD when it comes to assembly and paint

I'll post them in the yard sale. They have AP retainers. Not sure on the price yet?? Mad cow Batray ( Halloween paint scheme) Scooter standard paint which is on Stickershocks website.

I also have 2 sets of laser cut pieces for Shrox Skunkwulf. Basswood I think 3/16" ?? Really nice!! Makes the build sweet & easy. Custom vinly decals too

I'm a BAR, but definitely consider myself a novice. I sure felt ready to quit today, when I launched with the safety flag still on the launch rod......!

Take the safety key - the part that plugs into the launch controller - and tie it to the safety flag.

That way you can't launch without taking the flag off the rod.

I switched one addiction for another 15 yrs ago.
20 diff fishing rods, gear and tackle that runs the gauntlet from freshwater stream, lake, river to deep sea, bay, surf.
Drawers full of fly tying material.

Last time I held a fish, it was frozen from walmart.

Forgot this. Cleaning out the garage the other week, found 6 diff anchors. whoa.

Last edited:
What about motors? I see you live in So Cal (I'm in Fullerton) so I could pick them up.

I'm thinking about hanging it up? Not that I don't like it, but maybe get into something else or at least limiting my time with it?

Any of you feel that way from time to time?

It happens, I know... I have left the hobby, sold everything off, and bought everything back multiple times. I have left certain aspects of the hobby due to medical scares, but I always find my way back. It is good to have something to fall back on when you do leave (or step back from), something to keep the mind occupied...although you will find that not many hobbies can exercise the brain like model rocketry. More than likely you will return with a deeper respect for rocketry...

It happens, I know... I have left the hobby, sold everything off, and bought everything back multiple times. I have left certain aspects of the hobby due to medical scares, but I always find my way back. It is good to have something to fall back on when you do leave (or step back from), something to keep the mind occupied...although you will find that not many hobbies can exercise the brain like model rocketry. More than likely you will return with a deeper respect for rocketry...

I love it when Johnnie leaves the hobby--I hover trying to get first dibs! :)

Been flying on and off since I was a kid. Sometimes things get too serious and you need to reevaluate your priorities. Got enough rocket and quad copter stuff in the office to keep me going for years. Been a couple of months since I went to the club launch, I'm trying to go once a quarter, time permitting. But I just reorganized my three range boxes to make it easier to just pick up LPR and go to the park. Took a friend and his young son out to the park last Saturday. Flew 3fnc and 4fnc on A-C motors, a couple of flights of a saucer. Blue Ninja on a C11-3 and a D12-3. [video=youtube;fS-zAWDJiJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS-zAWDJiJs[/video]

Three years ago got my L2, two years ago so busy with quads I only flew rockets at the one big club launch. This year striking a balance between the two. Best to just not take it too serious. Relax, enjoy and don't sell of a bunch of stuff you'll regret later and buy back. 15-20 years ago I was riding bicycles long distances. I just don't have the time for that, let alone the the capacity. But I still have bikes in the garage. I still have all the bike tools, probably a tube of grease somewhere too. Some weekend, I'll pop on some tubes and tires and go tour around the wash.

I'm thinking about hanging it up? Not that I don't like it, but maybe get into something else or at least limiting my time with it?

Sometimes I feel that way, but my job/family/life in general eventually come along to take care of that problem for me...right now I'm itching to build something if I can just find time.

Any of you feel that way from time to time?

I've been on/off for 45 years.
For various reasons.
My first break was my first vehicle and dates.
When I worked construction, I was all over the state.
I didn't have much time for anything but shi_t, shower n sleep.
For 10 years I lived on 3 to 4 hours of sleep and just rested up on weekends.
One thing I have never regretted was I never got rid of my rocket stuff.
Things gets lost in moves, broken in storage, etc.
But I was always glad when I wanted to, I could open up a box or two and go launch some rockets.
Everyone is different. I can't give you advice on what you should do.
I can only let you see what I've done, and glad I did it that way.
And hope you make a decision that you won't regret somewhere down the road.

Sure do! Almost every year at about April when our flying season comes to an end I'm ready to be done with it. So I just pack the rockets away and don't even think about them unless there is some big launch I want to do in the middle of the summer. Then, when I see the crops are getting cut I start thinking about rockets again and I am ready for it. Having the occasional break from the hobby is not a bad thing at all.

The thing that has kept me in the hobby is two fold: I have managed to diversify my activities within the hobby and will probably continue to do so. The other is the people. I have a great group that I fly with on a regular basis that I can't stand not to see them once in a while. This is very much a social activity for me.

-Dave

Living where I do, the weather is always a factor. There have been months at a time when no rockets launched due to weather. And I admit, often times a damaged rocket will cause me to want to hang it up. Hours upon hours of work to make the fins perfect, the carefully aligned and secured rail buttons, building the a/v bay, and the carefully lined fillets inside and out. It's enough to make you cry.

Then I see a kit I love and I'm back at it. While I'm at it, might as well repair that damaged one. I have a velociraptor that I picked up in a charity auction for $15.00. There's a damaged tube. The a/v bay had a huge key switch in the side of it. There's a small crinkle in the booster tube. The fins weren't worked well. The paint was rather sloppily done.

I ordered the parts for the A/V bay. I'm going to rebuild her. This isn't going to be easy. It's probably going to annoy the sh!t out of me. There will most definitely be before, during and after photos.

I'm sure about half way through, I'm going to throw something, say I'm done with rockets, and pack everything away. But it won't last.

I think as I mentioned after I get my L2 I'll hang it up for awhile, but when I come back I'll focus on one somewhat complex ( for me anyway) rocket per year. I each rocket I build to be something new and challenging. This could be a scratch build or kit or combination of both. I think that's my problem. I need new challenges. I admit I'm looking forward to hanging it up for while and starting with a new perspective.

I think that's my problem. I need new challenges. I admit I'm looking forward to hanging it up for while and starting with a new perspective.

Really?
I find that this hobby has challenges like no other I've experienced! I'm juggling scratch build ideas (have a book full, but never enough time); trying clusters and stages; RBGs; Full stack shuttles (multiple scales from LP to HP+); MD, Mach'ing birds, big L2 rockets; possible L3 builds...list goes on! It's like being a kid in a candy shop where previously I only had sugar cubes! :grin:

Really?
I find that this hobby has challenges like no other I've experienced! I'm juggling scratch build ideas (have a book full, but never enough time); trying clusters and stages; RBGs; Full stack shuttles (multiple scales from LP to HP+); MD, Mach'ing birds, big L2 rockets; possible L3 builds...list goes on! It's like being a kid in a candy shop where previously I only had sugar cubes! :grin:

Well I don't know what your schedule is like? Mine I don't have all that much free time ...maybe you do and I say go for it, but I don't so that's why I want to do a build make it something new every time.

Well I don't know what your schedule is like? Mine I don't have all that much free time ...maybe you do and I say go for it, but I don't so that's why I want to do a build make it something new every time.

Actually my time is rare...I'm currently working 12+ hour days this week and possibly this weekend (because of flooding in India, I'm a handful of U.S. workers trying to make up the work of ~150 offshore workers...not pretty). That's why there's still so much I want to do...not enough time right now to do it all. :)

Well, whatever you choose, I wish you the best and if a hobby bores or stresses you out more than soothes/satisfies you, definitely take a break...we all deserve at least that much. :grin:

As much as I love the hobby, I have no practical way to do it.

First it's the cost... I work at Walmart and will soon be starting my study at UT. I have to sink at least 500 dollars in each rocket to have it functional (kits, misc. hardware, electronics, etc.) not to mention it would take up lots of space. Not really interested in model rocketry at this point... it would make things a lot cheaper (but there's still the second problem)

Then it's the distance. Hutto is too far away to get to without a ride. A car would have cost a minimum of 400-500 a month to maintain/insure/pay, so I'd have to choose between living in a car or a house... and I'd much rather live in a house. Furthermore AARG launches once a month IF the condition is right, on a saturday (a day that I will never have off), and even if I could no one there would want to give me a ride anyways.

I stuck with shooting but I'll admit that I haven't been shooting much either. I can get to red's by bus but range fee kinda adds up, as do ammo/component cost. Sometimes I wish there were more hours in a day, more days in a week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back