Leaving the hobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about hanging it up? Not that I don't like it, but maybe get into something else or at least limiting my time with it?

Any of you feel that way from time to time?

I do, but only because I'm 60 and not sure how much longer I will care to make long walks retrieving rockets. I suppose I could eventually limit my launches to Black Rock desert where I can drive to retrieve my rockets.

I do, but only because I'm 60 and not sure how much longer I will care to make long walks retrieving rockets. I suppose I could eventually limit my launches to Black Rock desert where I can drive to retrieve my rockets.

I'm on the same page with you. This is the first year I didn't buy anything on Black Friday or Saturday.

I love the hobby, but I really don't have as much time as I like to be involved with it.

I'm also a slow builder IDK? Maybe once I get my L2 I'll hang it up

Slow or detailed? I think about quitting every once in a while, but my family is in the hobby and it keeps us together.

I'm thinking about hanging it up? Not that I don't like it, but maybe get into something else or at least limiting my time with it?

Sure do! Almost every year at about April when our flying season comes to an end I'm ready to be done with it. So I just pack the rockets away and don't even think about them unless there is some big launch I want to do in the middle of the summer. Then, when I see the crops are getting cut I start thinking about rockets again and I am ready for it. Having the occasional break from the hobby is not a bad thing at all.

The thing that has kept me in the hobby is two fold: I have managed to diversify my activities within the hobby and will probably continue to do so. The other is the people. I have a great group that I fly with on a regular basis that I can't stand not to see them once in a while. This is very much a social activity for me.

-Dave

Slow or detailed? I think about quitting every once in a while, but my family is in the hobby and it keeps us together.

That's nice that you have your family involved and it does keep you bonded. I also have other hobby's like Nitro RC trucks which I own 4

Sometimes I just want to get rid of the clutter

I'll voluntarily quit when I permanently drop to room temperature.

I quit about 15 years ago. Too many hobbies, new family, etc. Now my kids are 12 and 10 and it's a good family hobby. I quit racing RC boats about 12 years ago, Then planes about 6 years ago and finally cars about 2 years ago. I don't miss them at all.

Put your rockets away for a while and if you don't feel the itch anymore unload them and get into something else.

I suppose it depends on how committed (and busy) you feel you need to be. My primary involvement, for a number of years, has been online. Due to family, job, school, and money pressures I just don't have a lot of time for hobbies in general. As my kids are heading for college that is getting a little better but that is still a year or two away. I still build and fly, but for me that often means that I get to one or two launches in a year and build one or two rockets. I have tubs full of unbuilt kits and boxes full of rockets that need minor repairs. I still have hope of getting to them... someday. Maybe you need to quit, but maybe you just need to take a break or scale back for a while.

It's all good, even if you aren't full-throttle.

I never leave a hobby; there are just some that I'm not doing right now.

When I got into the nitro SCT I really enjoyed it and still do and then I started working on them and for me I think the aspect of building the motors and porting and polishing them is what really hooked me. To take something and make it faster or better, which is why rocketry was with me for so long.

I think right now I might be going through one of those priority checks you know? And the funny thing is this. I don't really have a lot of rockets or kits. I think I'm just hitting a wall.

I get out maybe twice a year to launch at Lucerne. Maybe if I went to Black Rock that might bleed it back into me?

That's nice that you have your family involved and it does keep you bonded. I also have other hobby's like Nitro RC trucks which I own 4

Sometimes I just want to get rid of the clutter

That I agree with.

BTW - I want to say that I have never met a nicer group of people than I have come across in this hobby..... everyone I have met over the years has always been very sincere and just willing to go out of their way for you. You guys are great people!

I had a year where I did not do very much and I let it be. I went to a few launches and did not buy much. Last summer I got the urge to build a new project and finished it before our regional launch (my avatar picture now). While I would not say that my interest level is where it used to be, it is a lot higher than it was. I still love to watch rockets soar into the air, but the time sink can be a downer. I continue to daydream about rocketry and have so many projects that I would love to pursue; someday I will not be active duty military and may have more time! I think backing off a little but not selling everything off is a good way to go.

I have other hobbies and each seem to have their 'season'. Allow time for the Rocketry Season to happen again. If after a year or two the twinge does not bring you back, then sell. Or, sell the higher-end stuff that you will not need and keep the MPR & L1/L2 level equipment.

Hello, I understand and have come close to quitting. As many know, I was one of the main Moderators of Rocketry Planet. That was a lot of work, and frankly there was a lot behind the scenes. It turned my hobby into a job, and frankly beat the fun out of it. After Darrell died and we eventually shutdown RP I did not think about a rocket for a good 6-8 months. Then I started poking around again. Now I am back.

So, if I were you and to the point of wanting to do something else I think doing so is a wise move. This is a hobby and it is supposed to be fun. If it is not, it is totally voluntary. Try something else- life is short so please try things. I would not sell your stuff just yet, but cleaning, organizing, and packing it away for a while is good. That way if/when you come back to it stuff is orderly, or if you decide to get out/sell your stuff you know where stuff is.

Mostly, be happy. If rockets are not doing it now move on. You can always come back to it.

Hello, I understand and have come close to quitting. As many know, I was one of the main Moderators of Rocketry Planet. That was a lot of work, and frankly there was a lot behind the scenes. It turned my hobby into a job, and frankly beat the fun out of it. After Darrell died and we eventually shutdown RP I did not think about a rocket for a good 6-8 months. Then I started poking around again. Now I am back.

So, if I were you and to the point of wanting to do something else I think doing so is a wise move. This is a hobby and it is supposed to be fun. If it is not, it is totally voluntary. Try something else- life is short so please try things. I would not sell your stuff just yet, but cleaning, organizing, and packing it away for a while is good. That way if/when you come back to it stuff is orderly, or if you decide to get out/sell your stuff you know where stuff is.

Mostly, be happy. If rockets are not doing it now move on. You can always come back to it.

I remember Darrell. I use to go on there all the time and he made me a mod as well. I even wrote an article about CHAD staging for him on a Patriot missile rocket that I modified. I enjoyed RP and the articles that were available. Looking back I've been involved since 2008 so going on 8 years

I wonder?? Lets say I get my L2 and I take a break from the hobby for a few years. How can I still keep my L2 status? Do I just renew my NAR membership every year?

I have quite a bunch of hobbies over the years but I son't see it happening with rocketry. Mostly because I can't do it enough to get burned out. I put rocketry in the same category as fly fishing, I may slow down or skip a season but I won't get rid of my crap. I also purposely try to keep things simple and uncomplicated which is a hobby all to itself.

I started my last post before you posted the above...I think we're both saying the same. I'm a slow typist...at least when watching TV at the same time. ;)

I wonder?? Lets say I get my L2 and I take a break from the hobby for a few years. How can I still keep my L2 status? Do I just renew my NAR membership every year?

from https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/

"NAR HPR certifications, once earned, are valid whenever NAR membership is current, and are reinstated after membership lapses."

If a break is what you need or want (defined any way you like), concerns over your HPR certification status shouldn't stand in your way.

I don't quit something however, I will take a break and pursue other things. I just don't quit unless I don't like what I am doing. The one constant that I have is that I like to build things.

I almost considered it earlier this year after I lost a flying site that I flew from for 10+ years. It was a hay farm that was sold off to new owners. Then I tried asking for permission to fly from a local soccer complex and was promptly turned down although that was probably a good thing when I noticed in an aerial pic of how many rocket-eating trees and light poles there were around it.

I did however give up HPR due to the fact I could no longer justify spending $$$ on the motors. My TRA membership and L2 cert has since expired as well. I do miss it and maybe I'll take it up again if my financial situation improves.

Now I'm mostly into RC boats and helis. I get the same pleasure of watching one of my boats rip across the pond surface at nearly 30 MPH as I did flying HPR rockets.

I would get one of the 50+ MPH boats like the newly released ProBoat Zelos 48 but unfortunately it requires a very large lake or pond and costs about $1,000.:surprised::surprised::surprised:

Helis are a lot of fun except with the larger ones, 180 size and up, an unexpected landing not on the skids usually results in $$$ spent in replacement parts and time spent repairing.

I'm a BAR, but definitely consider myself a novice. I sure felt ready to quit today, when I launched with the safety flag still on the launch rod...first flight of that rocket, and it scraped the paint completely off a 1/4"x1.5" section and sheared off the launch lug which was epoxied on...I can't believe it didn't pop off, but most of all, I'm pissed at myself for missing it. Almost called it quits for the day (and for a second say screw it all together), but decided to drive on and fly a couple more flights with another model. The learning curves and challenges of techniques for building and finishing drive me crazy, but at the same time, it's what drives me to keep going. I can't help but embrace the suck with learning and being challenged, and I'm easily challenged HAHA!

Whatever you decide either way isn't the wrong decision. Nothing wrong at all with taking a break. Take care and keep us posted!

I've been suffering some rocket "blahs" this year. Just can't seem to get motivated....
I have normally averaged building 10 rockets a year. So far I have only 3 done.
I do have 3 in process, but I just haven't wandered down to work on them very much.

Because of the "Blah" mood. I did not buy very much during the sales - just one kit and 1 motor.

Hopefully I'll get re-motivated soon

I've been suffering some rocket "blahs" this year. Just can't seem to get motivated....
I have normally averaged building 10 rockets a year. So far I have only 3 done.
I do have 3 in process, but I just haven't wandered down to work on them very much.

Because of the "Blah" mood. I did not buy very much during the sales - just one kit and 1 motor.

Hopefully I'll get re-motivated soon

I hear ya I have my L2 rocket built just needs paint. My MADCOW 4" Patriot and I'm finishing the body work and primer on my 3" PML Bull Puppy

My L2 will be a simple J500 with single deploy at about 3800' figure once I pass the written exam and that chute deploys I'll put things away for awhile.

I have a MPR pad and miscellaneous kits I might be selling, but I want to keep that Punisher kit 3" I bought when they came out and my L2 rocket

I might even sell some of my already built rockets and they all have AP retainers on them.

what quit rocketry ? NEVER it is in my blood :)

Slow down ? sure !

quit ? only when they pull my Black Brant Rocket from my cold hand !

I cant run through the woods like I use to but I can still walk look for rockets and enjoy the scenery at the same time .

When I cant walk anymore I can still sit and talk about old rocket war stories with the friends I have met at rocketry launches over the years

To each his/her own.

Some could consider trying some different designs or ways of flying.

Here's a simple one. Whatever physical size of rocket may be typical, try to build one that weighs a lot less, like 50%. Then you could fly that on half of the engine power of the heavy version... costing a lot less than the heavy one but flying about as high.

And you don't have to fly everything as high as possible or as high as you can throw money into the engine mount to make it go. If a LONG walk to retrieve it is the problem, there's some options for that (My favorite solution is R/C glide back..... :) ).

So, there are plenty of ways to fly less expensively, and try some other methods.

Also, there are certainly many things that can be done in the hobby. So for some who are having the "blah's", maybe trying something different would help re-awaken their inner rocketeer.

I don't say any of the above as a criticism. Just that maybe trying some other ways might help spark more interest and/or help with the budget, or possibly address some other issues.

And I do realize that people fly the way they want to fly, that's true for all of us, so for some it may be that it's either all-in the same as always, or nothing at all.

Also, there is the burnout factor. But many who burn out, later come back, and often regret letting go of the stuff they end up needing to re-buy (or even let go of collector's kits that could have helped to buy new stuff). So, anyone considering leaving the hobby..... unless you are 100% sure you're never ever ever gonna come back (and some of THOSE people do come back anyway), maybe try to find a way to store the stuff, just in case.

I've been building, designing, flying, and crashing since March 1970. Always find things that interest me to still design/build/fly, including kits (Ah, the new Estes 1/45 Little Joe-II, drool). Long as I'm able to do it, I plan to keep doing so for decades to come.

- George Gassaway

I agree George. I plan on saving some unbuilt kits, but need to focus on other things. As I mentioned I like to get my L2 and then hang it up afterward. Maybe having some time off to design and not so much build will definitely spark my interests again, but right now I'm kind of drained.

Sure do! In fact, I've already pretty much given it up for the time being. Haven't touched a rocket in months, and I don't frequent the forum that much anymore. I found myself getting frustrated with our club which seems to be losing members without gaining new ones. And the current CAD exchange rate is pretty pathetic meaning it's an even more expensive hobby then usual at the moment. If things improve in the spring I'll likely resume where I left off, but for now current rocketry projects are on hold and no new projects are planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back