programing softwre (Qb64)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
ah, for the days when, if I wanted to write a program to pick lotto numbers I could just fire up Qbasic (or do a simple one line equation). anyone try Qb64 (or have other suggestions for a basic editor/interpreter)? thanks
Rex

I use QB64. It's nice except for when you type fast it will lag behind. Emulates the SCREEN x modes well and runs fast.
I was a QBasic master back in the late 90's before I got into C. I once wrote a Z-Buffered filled/shaded polygon 3D object viewer where you could spin it around with a mouse. I can't remember exactly how that was done(CALL VARPTR$ ?) Anyway...
Now I use basic when I want to write something quick / test a one-line algorithm while writing in Java elsewhere. In fact I just used QB64 two days ago to test out a method for visualizing simulation data exported from OR.

I have been giving a go, there do seem to be some variations between the two(and I need a magnifier to read the output:)), but nothing I can put a finger on, yet. wrote a short bit of code for an offline shroud/transition thingy.
INPUT "smaller tube dia"; d1
INPUT "larger tube dia"; d2
INPUT "length of transition"; l
y = (d2 - d1) / 2
sa = 1 / SQR((l / y) ^ 2 + 1)
a = 360 * sa
a2 = sa * 2
r1 = d1 / (2 * sa)
r2 = d2 / (2 * sa)
PRINT "r1 = "; r1
PRINT "r2 ="; r2
PRINT "angle ="; a
still need to figure out/remember how to format the output, don't really need 8 decimal point accuracy:), and it isn't idiot proof, but it works.
Rex

I think that the '_fullscreen' statement and I will get along nicely :).
Rex

Cool. That program actually gives me an idea...

That's the one thing about Basic, it's quick and painless. I just wish I could change the background color in QB64.. I have always found that big blue screen overpowering after a while.

so after re-downloading and reinstalling...to change the editor colors; select 'options/ide colors' from there you can customize the colors of various bits using sliders, I chose to adjust the 'background' color by sliding the blue control from 255 to 29, no more bright blue box :).
I also copied my code from here to recover my transition maker :).
Rex

Rex

just use the computer magnifier
anything on the screen you just hold down the "CTRL" button and while holding it down tap the " + " key
every time you hit the " + " key things will get bigger use the " - " negative key to shrink things back down

another trick is if you want to save text or an image that is on desktop hit " print screen " button go and open MS PAINT
and hit the " paste " option what ever was on screen when you hit " print screen " will then be saved as an image file :)

Bobby

I have been giving a go, there do seem to be some variations between the two(and I need a magnifier to read the output:)), but nothing I can put a finger on, yet. wrote a short bit of code for an offline shroud/transition thingy.
INPUT "smaller tube dia"; d1
INPUT "larger tube dia"; d2
INPUT "length of transition"; l
y = (d2 - d1) / 2
sa = 1 / SQR((l / y) ^ 2 + 1)
a = 360 * sa
a2 = sa * 2
r1 = d1 / (2 * sa)
r2 = d2 / (2 * sa)
PRINT "r1 = "; r1
PRINT "r2 ="; r2
PRINT "angle ="; a
still need to figure out/remember how to format the output, don't really need 8 decimal point accuracy:), and it isn't idiot proof, but it works.
Rex

That's definitely one thing badly needed in QB64. That bright blue screen is hard to stare at for long. Back when I was spending hours upon hours on QBasic, I had the background as black, so much easier on the eyes. That, or light gray with black text.

Last time I used QB64, I began writing a simulation/flight playback visualization program where you could export a simulation from OR as a csv, copy and paste as a DATA command, then run it and see the flight in 2D. Still needs lots of work and I may have to tinker with it again

ah, for the days when, if I wanted to write a program to pick lotto numbers I could just fire up Qbasic (or do a simple one line equation). anyone try Qb64 (or have other suggestions for a basic editor/interpreter)? thanks
Rex

Open EXCEL or WORD and hit alt-F11
Boom
Visual Basic.

Use Processing. Java like syntax, anything you put in the setup() method will execute exactly once and output will display on the console. I use it for my telemetry and GPS rigs. www.processing.org

Back