questions on 29mm motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arakid01

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just getting back into this sport/hobby after a couple year hiatus. I am very interested in finally getting my level one. I will be using one of the Estes PSII kits for this cert. I have them all just haven't decided which one to use yet.*

More importantly I am looking into propulsion options. I would like a casing that I can use mpr reloads and the occasional high power launch. I have been eyeing they at 29mm 40/120 case but would really like some help from you guys with this.*

I want the most versatile 29mm motor I can. That's the goal here. I have read things about this. Done lots of research but help and advice from the experienced is what I need most before pulling the trigger.*

Thanks so much. Hope you're all having a nice weekend.*

Eric

The 29 40/120 is the most versatile, but not capable of an L1 cert flight. The 180 with a couple of spacers would give a pretty wide range.
but don't forget about Cesaroni motors. They are much easier to deal with but usually more expensive. There are H motors for a cesaroni Pro29 3 grain and if you get a couple of spacers it fits a lot of different motors.

Agree on Cesaroni. There is a 29mm starter set that has the three grain case, rear closure and spacers so you can fly 1, 2, and 3 grain reloads in the same case. Used a 3G baby H in an Estes Leviathan (built almost entirely stock) for my L1 cert.

+1 for the Cesaroni (CTI) 29mm stater set. It comes with a 3 grain case, rear closure, a delay adjustment tool, and 2 spacers allowing you to fly F-H motors using that one case. That's what I started with. Aerotech reloads are cheaper, but their hardware is more expensive. If you fly an average amount the net cost will probably be similar in the end, regardless of which brand you choose.

https://www.pro38.com/products/pro29/pro29.php
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocke...er_Set?zenid=77ef97124cd8a3ac9f4803b007369fed

what does your on-field vendor sell? Picking one over the other might be much more expensive if you have to mail order it (unless you buy A LOT). Your on field vendor also has cases and the know how to get you running. AT has single use H's.
If you really want to fly the estes rockets you need to use the lowest total impulse (CTI H87, AT H165R) because it's gonna go way out of sight. If you can borrow a tracker, all the better.

I'd look at LOC or Public Missles if you want to make a cardboard rocket. They have thicker tubes that are more damage resistant and can be bigger (size, diameter and weight) so it doesn't have to go out of sight. I did my L1 on a LOC vulcanite which has a 38 mm motor mount as well. Got about 1300 feet on a H180. The other good thing is that you can use 38 or 29 motors in it - but you can never adapt a motor mount up in sight

Keep in mind that CTI motors all ship HAZMAT at $28.50 a shipment, while almost all of the Aerotech 29mm can ship parcel post. That's a huge cost difference unless you have access to a local CTI vendor. That said, CTI isdefinitely easier to use, and the hard ware is cheaper. A couple options:

1) buy a 29/40-120 Aerotech case for all your MPR flights - Hobbyline reloads for this case tend to be very inexpensive at Hobbylinc or Wildman. Then, pick up a free 29mm CTI case with their cert special. This is the route I took - we don't have any CTI vendors in AZ but Bay Area Rocketry came out for NARAM so I saved the HAZMAT. Actually, the 29mm CTI starter kit is a great deal too, since you'll want the delay tool and spacers anyway.

2) Get the HPR 29/180 case from Aerotech plus the Reload Adapter System. This gets you up to the "baby H" you'd want to flyyour PSII on for cert, plus several mid power loads.

Agree on Cesaroni. There is a 29mm starter set that has the three grain case, rear closure and spacers so you can fly 1, 2, and 3 grain reloads in the same case. Used a 3G baby H in an Estes Leviathan (built almost entirely stock) for my L1 cert.

+1 on the CTI starter kit. Bought one for my level 1 and have used it to fly a wide variety of sizes. Probably the most versatile case system for mid and high power unless you start to go BIG. Also, if you get a 38mm engine mount kit you can always reduce down to 29mm. Remember to ask for the certification special that CTI offers through it's vendors. It gives you a free case. Some vendors will give you a cost offset equal to a case if you get the starter set.

Last edited:
Definitely the CTI starter kit. Everything you need there to fly mid power to high power. Mine has served all my needs very well. I also have all of the AT reload casings. Yes, less expensive for reloads, but just starting out with reloadable motors and a L1 cert, I'd do CTI again in a heartbeat.

+1 on the CTI starter kit. Bought one for my level 1 and have used it to fly a wide variety of sizes. Probably the most versatile case system for mid and high power unless you start to go BIG. Also, if you get a 38mm engine mount kit you can always reduce down to 29mm. Remember to ask for the certification special that CTI offers through it's vendors. It gives you a free case. Some vendors will give you a cost offset equal to a case if you get the starter set.

That's how I wound up with two three-grain cases.... :)

Keep in mind that CTI motors all ship HAZMAT at $28.50 a shipment, while almost all of the Aerotech 29mm can ship parcel post. That's a huge cost difference unless you have access to a local CTI vendor. That said, CTI isdefinitely easier to use, and the hard ware is cheaper. A couple options:

1) buy a 29/40-120 Aerotech case for all your MPR flights - Hobbyline reloads for this case tend to be very inexpensive at Hobbylinc or Wildman. Then, pick up a free 29mm CTI case with their cert special. This is the route I took - we don't have any CTI vendors in AZ but Bay Area Rocketry came out for NARAM so I saved the HAZMAT. Actually, the 29mm CTI starter kit is a great deal too, since you'll want the delay tool and spacers anyway.

2) Get the HPR 29/180 case from Aerotech plus the Reload Adapter System. This gets you up to the "baby H" you'd want to flyyour PSII on for cert, plus several mid power loads.

+1 while AT reloads are only SLIGHTLY more difficult to use than CTI the affordability of the AT loads is a good offset, also if you can read (AT instructions even have pictures) you can assemble an AT reload in just a few minutes.:)

The 40-120 case is certainly versatile but it won't give you a L1. You could always get that and a single use H if you don't see flying H's that much. If you see flying H's a lot a still want versatility, the CTI 3 grain case is a great way to start flying. I would also caution you on the Estes kits for your L1. Sure it can be done but they get uncomfortably high on high power. I have seen a fair share of lost high powered Estes kits.

Get the CTI L1 certification special with a 3G case for your HPR flights, but get an AT 29/40-12 case for your MPR flights. Best of both worlds... and the additional 6G CTI case is pretty inexpensive when you want to bump things up a notch. And, as was mentioned previously, the AT 29mm loads are generally non-Hazmat and relatively cheap. I buy almost all of my HPR loads from the on-site vendor (after I run out of the stuff I buy from the Black Friday sales), but I buy the HPR loads from Hobbylinc or pick them up from the local hobby store.

Latest posts

Back