Eggfinder RX + Mac?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
I just finished building my Eggfinder RX dongle this weekend and I'm trying to figure out how to interface it with my Mac (running El Capitan). I have seen a little chatter on this forum, but has anyone discovered a definitive method?

I'm on the opposite end of the country than my electronics right now, so I can't confirm this at the moment, but assuming you're using the Prolific cable that Eggtimer Rocketry sells and installed the driver for it, you should just be able to launch Terminal (it's in Applications/Utilities) and type "screen /dev/cu.usbserial 9600", and provided the TX is sending and the RX is receiving (you see the LED blinking on the RX module) it should start showing up in the Terminal. To get out of screen hit ctrl-A followed by ctrl-\.

I'll admit that I use a different terminal program than screen so I haven't tried the above, unfortunately I can't distribute the program I use. If that doesn't work I can poke at it once I get home in the next few days. These tips came from this page, which has some other download links for other terminal software (screen comes with the OS as does Terminal, so its the solution that requires the least downloading/installation of extra 'stuff', you just need the Prolific driver).

If you have trouble let me know what isn't working (PM or here) and I'll see if I can help.

Hi Will (and anyone else who is interested),

Thanks for offering to help. I'm pretty sure that the RX and TX are communicating because they flash in sync when the TX is connected to power and the RX is plugged into the USB.

IMG_1116.jpg

Unfortunately, the command that you mentioned isn't working. I thought it might be easiest to just show you what is happening with a quick screen cast:

[video]https://youtu.be/CVtCyvoolvY[/video]

Do I need to install a serial to parallel driver? I think I saw something about this one on a different thread: https://www.prolific.com.tw/us/showproduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41

Thanks for your input. Any help is appreciated.

Brenton

Hi Brenton, that screen cast helps a bunch! screen did briefly flash an error message at the bottom complaining that /dev/cu.usbserial couldn't be found, so that suggests that you don't have the Prolific serial driver installed which is a necessary step. You can download it from here, make sure you grab the 1.6.0 version as that's the one you need for El Capitan[*]. It's generally best to install these types of drivers with the device NOT attached, and then attach it once the install is finished (a driver like this should not require a reboot of the Mac, though their installer may ask you to do it anyhow, if it does then let it do the reboot).

Once you do this when the cable is attached the /dev/cu.usbserial node should be present. You can type "ls -l /dev/cu.usbserial" in the Terminal window to confirm, if it still says no such file it would help to do a "ls -l /dev/cu.*" and see what it comes back with, generally Prolific's driver has used that name when a single device is attached, it gets more creative when a second device is attached since each one has to have a unique name to access it. Note that it will only exist when the cable is attached, things in /dev/ come and go as the devices come and go.

[*] As a total aside and purely FYI (since I heard "El Captain" in the video), it's El Cap i tan, pronounced more like "L cah-pee-tawn". It's a Spanish name (though it is Spanish for "The Captain"), and in Spanish A's are pronounced soft, like the A in "palm", and I's are pronounced like E in English, in fact reading the Spanish vowels A-E-I-O-U sounds like "Ah-A-E-O-Ooo", but at least in Spanish words are pronounced just like they're spelled (and vice-versa), nowhere near the goofy rules/exceptions English has ("I before E except after C? That's weird!" :p ). There's also an accent on the final "a" that changes its sound a bit (it's technically "El Capitán", so that last syllable is more like "lawn" in English). It's a famous rock formation within Yosemite National Park. Amazing place, and I got a particularly good introduction to the park the first time I visited, as I came in after dark to stay in a village within the park, so I saw nothing but trees on a windy road when I came in, and stepped out of my cottage the next morning to find that I was deep in a valley surrounded by gigantic rock walls. That was pretty awesome. :jaw: Now it seems a bit odd to me that the OS name shifted from the entire park (Yosemite, 10.10) to a single formation within the same park (El Capitan, 10.11). I don't quite get it, maybe it was meant to suggest a more focused update, like Lion->Mountain Lion or Leopard->Snow Leopard. Mavericks (10.9) has nothing to do with Yosemite other than also being in California. :)

Progress! I can now see the communication between the RX and the TX in the terminal, but it just looks like an uninterpretable stream of data. So the new question is....now what?

Here is the new screencast: https://youtu.be/u3z_WC5sjrk

Thanks for the help.

Progress! I can now see the communication between the RX and the TX in the terminal, but it just looks like an uninterpretable stream of data. So the new question is....now what?

Here is the new screencast: https://youtu.be/u3z_WC5sjrk

Thanks for the help.

That's the usual NMEA output you get. Now you have to pipe it to some sort of a mapping program and you'll be able to see the device on a map. I'm not an Apple person but you'd want to have a mapping app that could plot
two serial steams. In the "doze" and Linux world there aren't any. An APRS tracking program is not going to help you though you could use this as the GPS input of the tracking program that would ordinarily show your position. You could treat this as if this was the output of a USB GPS receiver. In essence it is with the Rf link acting as a very "long wire". Only problem is you won't have your position plotted on the same map as the rocket so you wouldn't be able to directly use it to navigate.

You very easily could read the lat/long of the final received packet and input into a handheld mapping GPS and use that to get close to the rocket. Problem is, is if the rocket was still 100' or so in the air when the last received position is received and there's a stiff wind. Might not see the rockets final resting place when you get to the site. You'd have to go back and drag out your laptop to the last known position and try to receive a new position.

This is where the EggFinder LCD can be helpful. You can read the lat/long off of it. If you install a B/T module in your receiver I do know it can be bonded to an Android device and the program GPS Rocket Locator can be used. I hear Apple is very
particular about their proprietary B/T methods so I don't know if that would be possible. You can add B/T to that receiver that you have. You could switch it so it could use the cable or a B/T module Kurt Savegnago

Does anyone have any more insight about this? As previously mentioned, I have installed the Prolific driver and can see the NMEA data coming into the Terminal, but I don't know what to do from there. I read somewhere else on TRF that Google Earth may be able to sort our the live NMEA data, so I'll give that a shot later tonight, but I'd love to hear if anyone else has some experience with the RX + Mac.

It looks like the handheld LCD unit is the way to go. I purchased one of them as part of a TRS starter set on Black Friday, but it sounds like Cris is still waiting on a few parts. I'm hoping to attend two launches over the next two weekends, so I'd like to rig my current RX/dongle system to work for the time being.

Back