NEFAR - TRA Research Launch - December 12, 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
Everyone,

I sent an email to the president of the club several days ago inquiring if the event will take place. I have yet to receive an answer.

Maybe club members reading this and can inform me on the status.

I'll be coming in from Germany and would like to make hotel arrangements ahead of time.

Thanks.

Last I heard yes & they usually send out invites on facebook to club members 1 week before launch. Their web site says tentative because last december they apparently had low turnout. I was there & didn't think so. Try emailing Steve the VP. He's pretty responsive & occaionally stops here on TRF.

Thank you! I don't have nor want to be on Facebook.

We're not going to make it this month. Too many other commitments. But, maybe I'll actually get a rocket ready to fly in January!

-- Roger

Hey Leo,
I hope to meet you at NEFAR! (I'm always at low power!)

I am certainly looking forward to meeting you Chris and others as well!

I just booked my 2 nights in a hotel near by and will now prepare some rockets that I am taking along.

I think this will be my second visit to the field. The first was back in 2003 for the official start of Tour de' Deuce.

We met Leo at NSL earlier this year which helps diminish the disappointment at not being there to see him. :)

- - Roger

Leo I don't know if we meet in Orangeburg a couple years ago but if you get a chance or maybe set up close to the Swamp Monster camp be sure to stop by and have a chat.

IMG_20151114_135623_886.jpg

Last edited:
Will do Bill.

Here is me as I will be presenting myself with shown rocket on Saturday:

Me_With_Ascender.jpg

After a 7 hour drive I arrived at Flagler Beach where I'm staying.

Looking forward to tomorrows event!

I'll be rolling out of here in about an hour. It takes me 1 1/2 hours to get there. Going to be a nice day. Forecast says no snow :)

I'm back in my hotel and what can I say...

Those who weren't their missed a fantastic event. Near perfect conditions and a grass field to sleep on. You just can't beat Florida weather in December.

I was able to meet some famous people e.g. Chris Michielssen and forum member Bill aka Getmore and many others.

All of my flights were a success particularly the Estes Ascender 2-Stage flight. Here some teaser pics...

Ascender ready for launch:
Ascender_2Stage_12.12.2015_0.jpg

Ignition:
Ascender_2Stage_12.12.2015_1.jpg

Booster separation:
Ascender_2Stage_12.12.2015_2.jpg

Flightline from the air:
Ascender_2Stage_12.12.2015_3.jpg

Separation at apogee:
Ascender_2Stage_12.12.2015_4.jpg

Thumbs-up:
Ascender_2Stage_12.12.2015_5.jpg

I drove 455 miles to attend this meet and I will driving all the way back with a smile on my face :)

Pictures/Videos to come in a couple of days when I'm back in Germany.

Leo it was nice to meet you and enjoy your rocket flights. The Ascender was a perfect flight. Glad you where able to make the trip down and fly with us. Great time.

It was my pleasure Bill. Thanks. It was a great time indeed!

One picture of your beautifully made rocket. It also was a perfect flight!

Thanks for having my altimeter logger fly with the rocket!

Bill_Fields_1.jpg

Hey Leo!

Leo and Me, NEFAR Dec. 2015.JPG

Great to meet you too!
This picture by Jimmy Yawn, from the nefar.net website

I love the booster drop-off shot in the 2
Stage Asscender series.

Last edited:
As promised here the flights of rockets I recorded on video in order of launch sequence.

[video=youtube;-ahx1Lp8ZdA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahx1Lp8ZdA[/video]

Bill aka Getmore was kind enough to let my altimeter logger ride in his rocket.

Here the result of the flight:
ALTDuino_Oh_boy_Oberto.png

Here the data of my 2-stage Ascender flight:
ALTDuino_NEFAR_2015_Ascender.png

Back