3/4 Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the weather like down there this time of the year?

Were you here for LDRS 36? God only knows. Could be sunny and beautiful, could be cloudy, rainy, and cold. Could be windy one day and calm the next. The motto on Maryland's Eastern Shore is: If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and check again.

Forecast for April is high 55, low 40, but that's still a week out.

Were you here for LDRS 36?

In mind but not physically :) I had intended on attending, purchased the tickets, bought the shirt raffle tickets and even booked the room, but when I saw the forecast taking into consideration the long drive I decided not to attend.

If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes

I spent many years boating in Georgian Bay and that was the same motto.

Forecast for April is high 55, low 40, but that's still a week out.

Thanks, sounds balmy compared to Canada right now.

When I arrived on Thursday for LDRS, it was cloudy, cold and gloomy. Also extremely muddy. And then in the afternoon a thunderstorm ripped through the field knocking over everyone's canopies and even the spot-a-pots.

Friday the winds eased off a bit, and the clouds lifted a little, and I got off an M flight to 2590'. Saturday got even a little nicer, and I took an N to 8600'. I was not there on Sunday, but I hear it was very nice.

Looking awesome! Are you going to do a trial stack assembly beforehand, or just build it at the launch?

next question- where the heck are you going to put it after the launch is over? :)

Looking awesome! Are you going to do a trial stack assembly beforehand, or just build it at the launch?

next question- where the heck are you going to put it after the launch is over? :)

Well, duh, that's why they built it in sections... Each member takes a section home :wink:

Maybe it'll end up at a NASA museum like Steve Eves' Saturn V. Goddard has the rocket garden....

Technically the USSRC isn't a NASA museum, but it is close to the space center, and it does have lots of rockets!
(incidentally, there may be a picture of an intern riding aforementioned 1:10 Saturn V five years ago that may have been taken by another intern that likes to ride dinosaurs :cool:)

I’ve been cutting out the graphics for this for the last couple of days, because I happen to have access to a six-meter vacuum cutting table that we have at the loft and no longer use for manufacturing, but which happens to be perfect for very large vinyl graphics...

The capsule graphic... has a lot ... of pieces ...

IMG_4968.jpg IMG_4969.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

IMG_4984.jpg
IMG_4987.jpg

I don’t think Adrienne is ever going to forgive me for telling Geoff how good she is with vinyl graphics LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

This thing is just ridiculously awesome looking. Still on track for next Sat launch?

This is a great example of what I've found, you can take a simple structure like the capsule and add some markings and you don't have to do all the 3-d detail to make it look great.

Frank

TRF,

Team worked on decorations for almost 8 hours. That took us to about 10:00 last night. Today we have a good look at these decorations in the daylight. They really make the project “authentic.” Bill Cook and Adrienne have exceeded everyone’s expectations. Outstanding!

We gathered early today to load the trailer. Packing requires about 2 hours. The project completely fills a 45 foot dry van trailer. Driver arrives tomorrow morning for the 3 hour drive to Higgs’ Farm.

Feckless Counsel

Full van.jpg

Turner with decorated tubes.jpg

Is it bad to pray for bad weather on Saturday? My flight from southeast Asia lands at Dulles at 4 PM Saturday. D'oh!

Ah well. Good luck Saturday and make sure you post lots of video!

Good luck!!!! Wish I was there to see it.

Ground testing is today at the Farm. Weather for Saturday now starting to look good!

TRF,

Team worked on decorations for almost 8 hours. That took us to about 10:00 last night. Today we have a good look at these decorations in the daylight. They really make the project “authentic.” Bill Cook and Adrienne have exceeded everyone’s expectations. Outstanding!

We gathered early today to load the trailer. Packing requires about 2 hours. The project completely fills a 45 foot dry van trailer. Driver arrives tomorrow morning for the 3 hour drive to Higgs’ Farm.

Feckless Counsel

Those pictures are ... spectacular. I wish I could see this one in person. What a great job you've done!

Back