3/4 Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures/ video of ground testing?

I would have to guess that someone there is taking pictures and/or video, but you might not see it for awhile. There is a ton of work to do to make the Saturday window.

Djs,

Video of a ground test. Testing is a success. T-5 days and counting.

[video=youtube;VsRKTOjORNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsRKTOjORNY&ab_channel=THoward[/video]

Launch is pushed to Sunday, 8 April between 1:00 and 4:00.

Saturday’s forecast is about an inch of snow. That may leave muddy conditions on the field and in parking areas. Please come prepared.

Are you going to post guards so that someone doesn't try to climb into the capsule at the last minute? :)

Are you going to post guards so that someone doesn't try to climb into the capsule at the last minute? :)

Just have to keep an eye on the rug rats. I dunno if anyone older than 7 could fit in a 3/4 scale Mercury capsule. The full size one was small enough!

TRF,

Was a big day at the field. Crane truck was used to erect our 48 foot launch tower.

First was to drop an 8 x 20 road plate. That piece of steel weighs about 6,500 pounds. The previous night we drilled the road plate to receive a smaller leveling plate. Four 1-8 threaded studs join the two plates with nuts in between. Nuts are adjusted until the smaller plate is level. The arrangement is similar to how highway light poles are made plumb at installation.

The crane was then used to set the tower onto the leveling plate. Once plumb was confirmed stiffening braces were welded in place.

Feckless Counsel

Tower setting crane.jpg

Tower setting baseplate.jpg

Tower ready to lift.jpg

Tower leveling plate.jpg

Tower drilling baseplate.jpg

Tower braces.jpg

Ahh, the memories! The full scale V2 took over two days to stack, and the start was remarkably similar :wink:. It will start to become very real when the rocket begins to stack up.

Enjoy :)

I'll be there Sunday around 12:45, if there is anything still left to be done at that point.

Holy cow! Just found this thread. Makes my 1/6th scale Redstone look tiny in comparison. Outstanding job! Can't wait to see pics/vids of the launch.

Was looking forward to getting up there for this one, but need to wrap up a big project at work so I can go to the Culpeper event this week

Good Luck to all !

Pictures and Vids please.

TRF,

Was a big day at the field. Crane truck was used to erect our 48 foot launch tower.

(Snip for brevity's sake)

Feckless Counsel

Creeeeeeiiiiiiippes!, You should'a stuck the receiver tracker antenna up on that 48 foot tower. Would'a got some heck'va amount of "range" out of it!! Kurt Savegnago (Jes' kidding!):wink::lol:

That pic of the guy assembling a section from the crane pretty much says it all. Simply amazing.

I really wanted to make this launch..
I'm super glad to see in the pic's so far they seem to have great weather..

All the best of luck to you all..

Godspeed...

Teddy

Back