White Primer Suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calambert

Reaction score
I need a recommendation for a good (sandable) white primer that can be coated with Testors lacquer.

TIA.

I need a recommendation for a good (sandable) white primer that can be coated with Testors lacquer.
White sandable primer - at the local autostore....
https://duplicolor.com/product/sandable-primer

I usually use a gray "high build primer" for the first coats which get sanded down, followed by the white primer. Sand the white layer and it really shows if you have any high/low spots. And the white is a good base coat for color.

The last paint I tried (and liked) was the lacquer spray paint of the kind sold to florists. Had no issues with this type of paint over a primer.

Last edited:
White sandable primer - at the local autostore....
https://duplicolor.com/product/sandable-primer

I usually use a gray "high build primer" for the first coats which get sanded down, followed by the white primer. Sand the white layer and it really shows if you have any high/low spots. And the white is a good base coat for color.

The last paint I tried (and liked) was the lacquer spray paint of the kind sold to florists. Had no issues with this type of paint over a primer.

+1 this, the Duplicolor primers are easy to work with, dry quickly (they are lacquers) and sand without clogging the sandpaper. I use the Duplicolor primers exactly as Astronwolf does, high build first then the white for finishing.

I have had great success with Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Primer under all kinds of paint. It's fairly cheap and easily available.

I probably deviate from the norm, but for my light-colored rockets...especially metallics such as aluminum...I have had great success using Kilz. It is a bit pricy, but it provides a good base coat that has been compatible with every paint I have tried and it has the added benefit of being a great filler for spirals and imperfections. YMMV

Cheers,
Michael

I probably deviate from the norm, but for my light-colored rockets...especially metallics such as aluminum...I have had great success using Kilz. It is a bit pricy, but it provides a good base coat that has been compatible with every paint I have tried and it has the added benefit of being a great filler for spirals and imperfections. YMMV

Cheers,
Michael

Which version of Kilz are you using?

Which version of Kilz are you using?

I use Original Aerosol. I can usually find 6 packs on sale, which helps absorb some of the cost. It is not so much the price per can, but it goes on rather thick so a can doesn't go as far as some other primers.

Cheers,
Michael

I have been using the oil-based version of Kilz for a long time, with good results. However if top coating with lacquer, which has hotter solvents, you need to be sure it has fully cured, or you may experience a nice wrinkle finish.

Another fan of original KILZ. I have used it for years without issue, as it is compatible with most paints that I use such as Krylon and Rustoleum... of which I only use Rustoleum paints now.

+1 this, the Duplicolor primers are easy to work with, dry quickly (they are lacquers) and sand without clogging the sandpaper. I use the Duplicolor primers exactly as Astronwolf does, high build first then the white for finishing.

Thanks guys! One additional question. Are you using Elmer's Wood Filler (or similar) to fill spirals and sanding them prior to spraying primer, or are you just letting the primer fill the spirals?

Thanks guys! One additional question. Are you using Elmer's Wood Filler (or similar) to fill spirals and sanding them prior to spraying primer, or are you just letting the primer fill the spirals?

Just filler primer will work, but it takes some extra coats to get a really smooth finish. I use either Elmers Wood Filler or Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty. They both work well.

If I use the Elmers, I will dilute it down with water until it is about the consistency of a thick wood glue. I had one occasion where the filler didn't adhere well to the spiral, and someone here (I can't remember who) suggested the dilution and I haven't had that problem since.

Cheers,
Michael

I use Elmers Carpenters Wood Filler (color change type) before primer or Bondo Spot and Glazing Putty after priming, however the Duplicolor Filler (gray) primer will fill the gooves in several coats as well.

I use Elmers Carpenters Wood Filler (color change type) before primer or Bondo Spot and Glazing Putty after priming, however the Duplicolor Filler (gray) primer will fill the gooves in several coats as well.

Great. I'll start with Elmer's.
I see you are with Tricities. (I'm with OROC). Are you the owner of the "Seahawks" Rocket?

Great. I'll start with Elmer's.
I see you are with Tricities. (I'm with OROC). Are you the owner of the "Seahawks" Rocket?

Nope, the Seahawks rocket belongs to our club president Dave King, I currently only fly my home field until next spring when I will be making my L3 flight from either Mansfield, WA (WAC) or Brothers, OR. , depends on when I can get it built, still working on the L3 paperwork package. Check out our website, the link is in my signature. We have an awesome launch site with a 10k waiver (sod farm).

I used the Duplicolor primer until I couldn't find it one time. I started using the Rustoleum Filler Primer I get in the Automotive section at Wal-Mart and never went back. It builds very quickly and sand well.

I use joint compound or spackling compound to fill spirals and small imperfections. It sands much easier then any of the wood filler products.

I've use a final coat of white primer before, but usually just put a white base coat of regular paint over the primer before I start on color coats.

Back