DIY streamer material?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
OK, so I did some searching with no luck, but this has to be something someone's done before. I'm looking for a good source for material for making my own streamers. I was thinking of buying one of those mylar "space blankets" and strengthening one end with some tape (would duct tape be too much?) for attachment. I figure the mylar would catch the sun and be nice and visible.

Here's why: I bought the Estes "Chuter Two" kit .... which is great, but the two-chute recovery seems ... overkill. First flight was great, negligible wind. Both chutes had about a 3" hole in them (I just cut along the line in the middle). The body drifted down briskly but safely and landed on the grass about 30 feet away. The nose section .... was another story. My first thought was "Oh no, the nose chute just detached and is drifting away...." then I realized that no, it's just THAT LIGHT. Like I said, the wind was really close to calm (a candy wrapper dropped from six feet fell straight down), and just the tiniest breeze that was there was enough to send the nose about 400 feet away.

I'm considering converting it to use just one chute. But I kind of like the "two part" recovery, so I'm thinking about using a streamer. I haven't used streamer recovery since I did this as a kid, I'm not even sure what they're made of these days....

You're right - there are a lot of ways to make streamers. I like to use crepe paper - buy a roll of a visible color (orange, red, etc.) at a party store and you can make streamers 'til the cows come home. I like to reinforce the ends with clear tape, but they will still wear out. No biggie - just make some more. You can tie it on with a length of kevlar or cotton string.

Different types of nylon work well. Rip-stop is great if you can find it. Mylar is good too, especially when it glints in the sun as you mentioned. It does tend to rip if any tears develop, though. I've seen people use yellow "construction zone" plastic tape that you can find at home improvement stores.

I've not built or flown a Chuter Two, but a separate chute for the nose cone does seem like a loss waiting to happen. That would be a great place to try one of your homemade streamers, or just attach it to the shock cord as you mentioned. Chuter One just doesn't have the same ring to it, though. Good luck!

At club launches I've seen a few Chuter Two nose cone sections drift away and be lost.
A streamer would certainly help bring the payload section down closer but that pointed nose cone (if balsa) would get scratched up
when it digs itself into the ground.
Best solution, a longer shock cord and tie it all together so it comes down together.
The single 12" chute should be enough for that sized model.

Making your own streamers?
Caution Tape from Home Depot. One roll should last you a long time.
For example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Safety-Flag-Caution-Tape-200-Ft-Role-CBT3-200/202547662
Rip-Stop nylon from a fabric store. You'll have to have the edges sewn up.
Plastic Sheet table covering. (Don't buy from the Dollar Store, theirs is too thin)
The sheet plastic I get at the grocery store is thicker.
Crepe Paper party streamers. (Also flameproof and can be used for cheap wadding)

The Rip Stop nylon is strong and very visible if in bright colors.
The crepe paper streamers are pretty weak and have to be replaced more often.
Mylar looks great but is thin and prone to easily melting if the ejection charge hits it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions, everyone! I'm thinking this is going to be a one-chute rocket from now on. But I'm keeping the streamer suggestions in mind for the "Bandito" rockets I got for the boys - the minuscule chutes they have on them did not do well.

I'm partial to the 4"x12' 'happy birthday' Mylar banners from the party stores for my 29mm min diameter 'launch it and loose it' rockets.

I picked up a roll of 2 inch ribbon from a local fabric shop. Works great, no worries on tearing or burning it as I simply replace the length every few flights.

Chris pretty much nailed it. A couple things to add about space blanket Mylar streamers: I use them a lot for competition and they work great with a bit of modification. I use a red Sharpie Magnum marker and color one side red. It will still be shiny, but the dark side will improve visibility on overcast days. I attach the streamer to the shroud line with silver Mylar tape I bought at Blick's (if you have one, they also carry those Magnum Sharpies). Just tie a knot in the end of the string and secure it along the bottom edge of the streamer - the knot keeps it from pulling out. Also, you want to put half inche pleats in your streamer. This will cause it to catch the thermals better and provide more drag. Tim van Milligan posted a video a few years back on the Apogee website about how to pleat Mylar streamers without baking them in the oven - definitely worth a watch.

As mentioned before, be very careful when cutting your Mylar streamers. Use a brand new blade in your hobby knife (dulled blades snag and create tear points) and a long metal straight-edge - I got a nice one meter (39") long metal ruler from Hobby Lobby that works well. And if your streamer is longer than your straight-edge, be very careful moving the straight-edge and resuming the cut - any change in the cutting direction or nicks will cause a tear point. Just go slow and steady.

Streamer materials:
crepe paper ribbons
Space Blanket
corrugated mylar ribbons
nylon rip-stop material
plastic "flagging"/warning tape (ribbon) from hardware store (or nearest crime scene...)
plumber's teflon pipe tape

Some of these are flame resistant, such as the crepe paper ribbons and the plumber's tape, but you still need a small amount of wadding to keep them from getting scorched. Some are good for small rockets only, due to the size of material available (plumber's tape).

Thanks for your comments, Greg.

I am rebuilding a CATO'd rocket that I only expect to fly once.... if it makes it off the pad.
As a result, I'm not planning on putting a parachute on it, but do think a streamer would make sense, both for visibility and for some form of recovery system.

So I intend to either find some caution tape from a crime scene (not as hard as you might think) and/or a roll of crape paper streamer at the local Dollar store.

Thanks for the ideas!

I have used some mylar space blanket material but ditto the comments that it tears easily from any nicks in cut edges. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to try cutting it with a hot knife to prevent those little tears. I have a soldering iron/woodburning tool that has a chuck for #11 hobby knife blades.

I've had good luck using a plastic tablecloth from the dollar store. Still messing around with lengths and widths.

Been making my own streamers for sport and competition models for a very long time. Chris and other have most of the best "Cheapest" materials listed particularly for Sport flying. My go to material for Sport Model Streamers has always been 2" Crepe paper in whatever color you like. if a bit wider material is needed for a bit larger model 3" plastic yellow "Caution" tape is an excellent choice. I've also use 4 to 6" heavy Ribbon from the fabric store. DO remember these ribbons are NOT flame proof or retardant at all. Where as Crepe paper is already treated with flame retardant.

I also concur with Greg about cutting any mylar streamer as the do rip fairly easily. Usually you want 1/2mil Mylar if you can get it. Most emergency blankets are 1mil thick. One trick I've leaned about flying Mylar streamers is to use a piece of .022ga steel music wire taped along the base width of the streamer attaching the Kevlar thread in a loose loop around this wire through a punched hole centered on the base. I've found the best tape for use on mylar streamers (and chutes) is 1/2" Chrome adhesive backed Monokote or Christmas wrapping mylar tapes. ASP also sells a roll of 1/2" mylar tape that is excellent. ASP also sells rolls of 4" wide 2mil mylar streamer material that is Way to heavy for competition use but just fine for Sport flying.

Sometimes a picture makes the concepts easier to see. Hope this help a bit.

Streamers-a1_Mylar,Micafilm,Crepe materials_09-30-06.jpg

Streamers-c_Cheap materal_2in plastic Caution Tape_01-08-10.JPG

Streamer Fab-c1b-sm_thread needle in center_10-02-06.jpg

Streamer Fab-c1d-sm_Tape over Thread_10-02-06.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I could remember to look for crepe paper streamer material when I'm at the Family Dollar General Store next....

I get a lot of crepe paper streamer from local thrift shops. Sometimes I find the wide stuff for use as wadding in large models.

Flagging tape from builder's supply stores is good for smaller models. Metallized mylar gift wrap and holiday door covers are a good choice for wrapping around a motor meant to eject in flight.

A -little- off topic, but I use the Dollar Store crepe paper streamers as wadding. Unroll a couple feet like off a toilet paper roll, rip it off, and stuff it in. Less messy than dog barf, and assorted colors to boot!

Sorry, hijack off.

I grab red danger and yellow caution tape from the trash at job sites. 2" wide thin poly. Not the best material for a streamer, but can't beat the price.

Back