Lunar launch Snow Ranch Dec.-5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

423yjl

:-]
Reaction score
Has there been any word, or rumors about the Dec-5 launch?
We have had some RAIN so things are starting to turn green.

It's scheduled to rain Thursday and Friday, so how muddy does it get out there?

If it rains too close to the launch date, the launch can be cancelled. Cuz it gets pretty soft out there. And if the creek gets too high, it can make it tough to get by one spot on the road.

Watch the LUNAR announce and general mailing lists. I expect Bill will be making the announcement very shortly.

As always, check the hotline for updates before driving all the way out to the ranch on Saturday morning. Or you might find that you're the only one out there.

Been working like crazy on my red 3" punisher to have it ready for the 5th for my L1 but I won't be getting my eggtimer TRS tell a day or two before the launch and someone thought it would be a good idea to steal my RMS casings. Seems like everything is against me right now. Regardless I want to be there just to watch worst case.

Been working like crazy on my red 3" punisher to have it ready for the 5th for my L1 but I won't be getting my eggtimer TRS tell a day or two before the launch and someone thought it would be a good idea to steal my RMS casings. Seems like everything is against me right now. Regardless I want to be there just to watch worst case.

What casing were you planning on using? I have a 38/360 and a 38/720, along with the reload adapter system. You are welcome to borrow it for your cert if you want.

There ya go. Problem solved. :cheers:

If ever in doubt, come see James for a NAR cert. If possible, print a cert form from the NAR website and bring it along. We try to have forms available at the launch, but sometimes we run out. If anyone is looking to take the L2 written test, let someone on the BoD know ahead of time, so we can be sure to have a test available with your name on it. Those can get used up quickly, too.

Hank!!! You still around? I'm gonna have to see if I can find your stuff. It's out in the shop somewhere. Lost in the Black Hole of Darkness. If it ever warms up, I might arm myself and go out there again. Some day. Quite frankly, I'm afraid. Very afraid. :y:

Now, if the weather will cooperate, this could prove to be one heck of a season at the ranch. Looks like we're going to be trying out a new branch of the ARLISS program. And from what I hear, people involved in that are going to be busy. Very busy. Lot of can-sats to be flown. We'll see how it goes.

Now it looks like rain only on Thursday, and partly cloudy with LIGHT winds for Saturday.
does anyone know if it is green enough there yet?

fingers crossed

Well, it's really up to Bill. He makes the final call. But if I had to guess, I'd say check your motor cases, fluff your chutes, and gas up the car.

If it rains Thursday, you might want a pair of boots that you don't mind getting muddy. If it rains on Friday, don't be surprised if the launch gets cancelled.

Call the hotline.

What casing were you planning on using? I have a 38/360 and a 38/720, along with the reload adapter system. You are welcome to borrow it for your cert if you want.

Thank you very much. I will let you know.

Hank!!! You still around? I'm gonna have to see if I can find your stuff. It's out in the shop somewhere. Lost in the Black Hole of Darkness. If it ever warms up, I might arm myself and go out there again. Some day. Quite frankly, I'm afraid. Very afraid. :y: .

Don't do that James, ya scarin' meh bro.

There's a black widow out there the size of a Chevy. I think it's been eating the neighborhood pets.

No, you don't have to replace anything. I just need to load the 357 and shoot that spider.

When I saw it, I thought it was a tarantula. But it's a widow. Biggest widow I've ever seen. Silver dollar size.

With all the issues, it's been a while since I've been out there. Not surprised there's things living out there.

Last edited:
As of right now from what I have heard its a go as long as its not to wet out. I would make sure you call the hotline Sat morning to make sure.

An email was just sent out in the LUNAR mailing list that said the launch is a go, just that it may be muddy so stay on the road. Be sure to check the hotline before you drive out.

Yup. Bill says it's a GO! (Call the hotline!)

It's going to be wet. Bring boots that you won't mind getting muddy. Stay on the road. If there's a puddle, drive thru it, not around it.

Working cattle ranch. Real wildlife. Be wise.

Snow Ranch is ON!

I could not be more excited. Well, maybe if the orange peel was not setting in on my L3 bird. I hope I can get it cleaned up in time for the photoshoot I have scheduled with an L910 cstar!

I will have a single NAR L2 test in hand, in addition to one each for those who scheduled with me beforehand. Also I am happy to witness any L1 or L2 flight. Ask for Eric at or near the RSO table.

Snow Ranch is ON!

I could not be more excited. Well, maybe if the orange peel was not setting in on my L3 bird. I hope I can get it cleaned up in time for the photoshoot I have scheduled with an L910 cstar!

I will have a single NAR L2 test in hand, in addition to one each for those who scheduled with me beforehand. Also I am happy to witness any L1 or L2 flight. Ask for Eric at or near the RSO table.

:grin:

Snow Ranch is ON!

You flying the L910 on Saturday? I'll try to get my Phantom up for some arial video, and actually keep the video files this time :) Let me know if you need any help with setup at the away cell.

Any chance I could borrow your PVC tracker module for my Frenzy flight?

Last edited:
I'm scrambling to get my Excel fin repaired after its fillets cracked at OS, lost the last two weekends to holiday travel so it's evening work this week. I'd like to get another flight or two on it before my next L2 cert attempt at the next TCC launch. I haven't done anything on the rebuild of my Firestorm 54 (Bumbl-B) yet, no way I'd have it painted in time and I don't know if I'd want to fly it with the lower-half painted and the upper half naked. But I still have my 38mm MD to fly, need to start thinking about some motors to fly in it (probably make another mile-shot), my CTI 38mm cases both have motors already loaded that were meant for the Excel, so I'll need to look for some interesting AT loads or fly the Excel to free-up one of those casings.

You flying the L910 on Saturday? I'll try to get my Phantom up for some arial video, and actually keep the video files this time :) Let me know if you need any help with setup at the away cell.

Any chance I could borrow your PVC tracker module for my Frenzy flight?

Yes sir!

The tracker, should be fine but I need to find time this week to replace its antenna. The module I made has a bad tendency to break them. If I do not get that far I think I know of a different transmitter you might be able to borrow, and you are certainly welcome to my receiver.

I'm scrambling to get my Excel fin repaired after its fillets cracked at OS, lost the last two weekends to holiday travel so it's evening work this week. I'd like to get another flight or two on it before my next L2 cert attempt at the next TCC launch. I haven't done anything on the rebuild of my Firestorm 54 (Bumbl-B) yet, no way I'd have it painted in time and I don't know if I'd want to fly it with the lower-half painted and the upper half naked. But I still have my 38mm MD to fly, need to start thinking about some motors to fly in it (probably make another mile-shot), my CTI 38mm cases both have motors already loaded that were meant for the Excel, so I'll need to look for some interesting AT loads or fly the Excel to free-up one of those casings.

Get some epoxy on that fin, bump your powder charges, and L2 will be yours!

I would love to see that 38mm bird fly again; you are definitely welcome to borrow my casings if that helps.

Yes sir!

The tracker, should be fine but I need to find time this week to replace its antenna. The module I made has a bad tendency to break them. If I do not get that far I think I know of a different transmitter you might be able to borrow, and you are certainly welcome to my receiver.

Thanks much! I think I may have a solution for my Eggfinder, but not totally sure, so having this option is great. My plan for the Eggfinder was to wrap it in foam, and then put it in a cut down plastic tube (the thin plastic cases CTI hardware comes in), and then secure the pod to the shock cord with tape and a kevlar leader. Think it will work? If it works for you, I'll probably wait and see at the launch and then decide what to do for tracking...

What other flights are you planning?

Last edited:
I was just thinking that we ought to schedule launches every weekend just to bring the rain and end this drought. :grin:

I was just thinking that we ought to schedule launches every weekend just to bring the rain and end this drought. :grin:

You might be on to something...

Wanna buy a hunk of 6" a/f tubing with an av-bay on it? I'm having a blowin'-'em-out-the-door-cuz-I-kilt-that-spider-out-in-the-garage-sale. Such a deal I'll make for you!

See ya at the ranch tomorrow.

Thanks much! I think I may have a solution for my Eggfinder, but not totally sure, so having this option is great. My plan for the Eggfinder was to wrap it in foam, and then put it in a cut down plastic tube (the thin plastic cases CTI hardware comes in), and then secure the pod to the shock cord with tape and a kevlar leader. Think it will work? If it works for you, I'll probably wait and see at the launch and then decide what to do for tracking...

What other flights are you planning?

That sounds like it should be fine. Give it a shot!

I have a test for the new top end of my Punisher, a basic flight test for my rebuilt oblong Arreaux, and I still need to hit my Nuke Pro Max with a sledgehammer aka I540 motor.

That sounds like it should be fine. Give it a shot!

I have a test for the new top end of my Punisher, a basic flight test for my rebuilt oblong Arreaux, and I still need to hit my Nuke Pro Max with a sledgehammer aka I540 motor.

Want to join the Warlock I540 drag race Thirsty and I are flying with the Nuke? Slight difference in design, but could be interesting...

You might be on to something...

Wanna buy a hunk of 6" a/f tubing with an av-bay on it? I'm having a blowin'-'em-out-the-door-cuz-I-kilt-that-spider-out-in-the-garage-sale. Such a deal I'll make for you!

See ya at the ranch tomorrow.

Awesome James . . . I'll buy that for a buck :grin: Bring the spider too :wink:

Since it looks like the weather is going to cooperate, I had better start building some motors. Got a K1499 to burn in my Wildman Interceptor A.A.D.

Last edited:
Back