QCRS 2016 Season

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm would love to come but 20 mph winds , ehh. 3 rockets prepped and would hate to lose them. Would really like to meet the QCRS gang... Talk me into it!

20mph doesn't affect a rocket moving upwards at 800mph... Short answer? Vmax.

Well I don't have any Vmaxs but will come anyway with a J330 in the MAC, K??? For the Magnum and I-180 for the Super Batray .
Be nice to get to meet some of you

Well I don't have any Vmaxs but will come anyway with a J330 in the MAC, K??? For the Magnum and I-180 for the Super Batray .

NICE! I have a Super Batray as well!!!... Wanna race? I've got a couple 38-3grains laying around somewhere...

NICE! I have a Super Batray as well!!!... Wanna race? I've got a couple 38-3grains laying around somewhere...
Sure! I have a couple I-180's not sure if there will be a vendor there, if there is I'm open for a different motor

Sorry........ I meant 19.9 mph.
Thank you for reminding me because I was 100% serious and was about to embark on a whirlwind of destruction, launching rockets willy nilly under dangerous circumstances, regardless of common sense and safety. Clearly, I'm always 100% serious in everything I post. There's no room for sarcasm here on TRF. It just won't do.
Thankfully, we've got the safety monitors roaming the hallways, er, forum.
Maybe we can come up with a bright orange safety vest logo to help people feel more important? That would be fun.

I'm would love to come but 20 mph winds , ehh. 3 rockets prepped and would hate to lose them. Would really like to meet the QCRS gang... Talk me into it!

Nick...GO...they are great "people's" and, your a good "people's". You have much in common already. ;)

Heres talking you into it....

No way you can predict Saturday's winds on Tuesday. Even if it is 19mph....we still fly, still recover and still have a great time.

see you there!

He means- "Get your butt up here..." Sometimes what they do after flying and, recovering has been...what you might call...Epic.

Trust me they will like you...They like me...They are like family ( Chicago Rocket Mafia Thingy) too me...that flys on the one weekend day i have to work and, Griffins like a little brother i never had...:sigh:

Sure! I have a couple I-180's not sure if there will be a vendor there, if there is I'm open for a different motor

OHHHHHH..... There will be a vendor there. Remember that line in the movie The Poltergiest?
*Dont GO into the light* :no:
If...and, you will...Go into the light (and, warmth) of the Wildman Hobbies Trailer-
I cannot be responsible for your health, welfare and, financial well being.

You've been warned.

Have a great day of flying everyone! Could someone burn some *Sparkie* and, dedicate it too me?
You'd KNOW I'd do it if i was there....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry........ I meant 19.9 mph.
Thank you for reminding me because I was 100% serious and was about to embark on a whirlwind of destruction, launching rockets willy nilly under dangerous circumstances, regardless of common sense and safety. Clearly, I'm always 100% serious in everything I post. There's no room for sarcasm here on TRF. It just won't do.
Thankfully, we've got the safety monitors roaming the hallways, er, forum.
Maybe we can come up with a bright orange safety vest logo to help people feel more important? That would be fun.

I suggest you go outside and take a deep breath of that 19.9mph wind.

Two rockets prepped and ready... Nothing big and fancy. Batray with an I 195 red and Shredder Jr on a G250 Vmax

Nick...GO...they are great "people's" and, your a good "people's". You have much in common already. ;)

He means- "Get your butt up here..." Sometimes what they do after flying and, recovering has been...what you might call...Epic.

Trust me they will like you...They like me...They are like family ( Chicago Rocket Mafia Thingy) too me...that flys on the one weekend day i have to work and, Griffins like a little brother i never had...:sigh:

OHHHHHH..... There will be a vendor there. Remember that line in the movie The Poltergiest?
If...and, you will...Go into the light (and, warmth) of the Wildman Hobbies Trailer-

You've been warned.

Have a great day of flying everyone! Could someone burn some *Sparkie* and, dedicate it too me?

If wildman has a K675 - ill burn a Sparkie in honor of Gus! Gus - you still underground building secrets to go west?
13mph wind! all prepped
hope to be there around 10:30.

IMG_7793.JPG

also bringing my Fugly rocket to test the winds if necessary

If wildman has a K675 - ill burn a Sparkie in honor of Gus! Gus - you still underground building secrets to go west?

First off, thanks for offering too burn some Sparkie for me...

When I think of Sparkie, I touch myself...mostly around my hind quarters...because I KNOW I want it...I NEED it and, i can never find my wallet-

We are still a go for "The Wild Wild West" unless that pesky Alaskan Cruise *thingy* gets in the way.

Right now I'm laying pipe on my Midwest Power 14...Super Secret BIG Project that is guaranteed to either be the most awesome piece of flying art ive ever handcrafted or...The scariest f#%*ing thing to come off the Away Cell come November.

Don't hold your breath on a build thread...but, I would suggest that Justin Farrand brings a flak jacket and, kevlar helmet along with his video camera.

Hope you all are having fun and, be good...Hasta La Heavy Chevy i got get some sleep-

Done Gusser!
I launched a HUGE Sparkie for you- G69 :facepalm:
Oh well, at least I did launch a rocket and had fun. Actually the G69 was pretty cool for only one grain.
Maybe I'll try to get a Sunday launch put in for me and Gus once my busy season starts in the spring....

Adrian

OK,,
Dats it,,
I can't take it anymore,,
I'm coming,,
Gus,, I've got a 75 / 5120 L 1365 DM that's just achin to git lit........

Nick,,
When you attend a QCRS launch and meet and hang with these guy's you will be changed........
You have been warned.......lol...

I'm on my way.........

Teddy

Froze my rear end today... Stupid me didn't dress for the weather. Jeans and hoodie are great for 50 degrees and low winds. Not so much for days like today...
But had a great time anyway. Got my Shredder Jr. up on a G250 Vmax for a fun flight. Found out that 9 second delay was a bit too long for it...
The Bat-car styled Batray went on an I-195 Red. Gorgeous flight with lots of whistle (LOVE those fins).
Then sat in cars and talked a great deal with good company. Sitting in that fancy truck of Gus's would've been more fun... And Teddy, if you're on the way, I'll start prepping the L640 for the Demon 98... :-D

OK,, OK,, OK,,
So I missed today,,
but you guy's have been teasing me...
I really wanna go...

Teddy

Done Gusser!
I launched a HUGE Sparkie for you- G69 :facepalm:
Oh well, at least I did launch a rocket and had fun. Actually the G69 was pretty cool for only one grain.Adrian

Dude! :D G 69's ROCK! I've sacrificed a few to the Gods of blue skies and, green ( slightly NOW scorched ) Earth.

OK,,
Dats it,,
I can't take it anymore,,
I'm coming,,
Gus,, I've got a 75 / 5120 L 1365 DM that's just achin to git lit........

Nick,,
When you attend a QCRS launch and meet and hang with these guy's you will be changed........
You have been warned.......lol...

I'm on my way.........

Teddy

Teddy, you and, Fred are ALWAYS welcome to come visit when time/budgets allow!
I'm really looking forward to Mini Midwest Power. :p

Eric? Layers- the key is LOTS of layers! I know, I was leaving Lasalle in my Semi around 7am this morning and, it was darn c:surprised::surprised:l!

I'm glad that you all had a good day and, anything that didn't can always be fixed...looking forward to the pictures and, videos if you managed to take some! :smile:

Dude! :D G 69's ROCK! I've sacrificed a few to the Gods of blue skies and, green ( slightly NOW scorched ) Earth.

Teddy, you and, Fred are ALWAYS welcome to come visit when time/budgets allow!
I'm really looking forward to Mini Midwest Power. :p

Eric? Layers- the key is LOTS of layers! I know, I was leaving Lasalle in my Semi around 7am this morning and, it was darn c:surprised::surprised:l!

I'm glad that you all had a good day and, anything that didn't can always be fixed...looking forward to the pictures and, videos if you managed to take some! :smile:

Thank you Gus,,,
Man,, I'd love to make it back out there before the fall....
I'd bet my bottom buck Fred would too.......lol...

Teddy

Looking forward to the videos! It was a beautiful day and looking forward to being out there next month.

You've been warned.

Just a quick note, the trailer probably won't be there in February. I should be able to stop by Tim and grab preorders for people, but Tim will be recovering that day... So plan ahead for February!

Did QCRS end up getting their 16ft rail back, or does anyone know whats up with that?

No pictures or video...yet? Hmmmm...Good time for a good old fashion "Gus Story" :rolleyes: while we wait-

Eric? Your comments about the weather yesterday brought back a happy memory from days past...

Most of you know that i drive for a small non-Union Trucking Company with Terminals all across the USA and, Canada. Some of our Terminals tend to be rather large of course (almost like a little city) too handle the bigger towns or small to service more rural areas...

For years, until major budget cuts and, financial restructuring... I was based out of a small Terminal located in Linden Indiana (NOT far from Malfunction Junction ;)) that serviced west central Indiana.

It was a fun time! One Boss, a Salesman, a Secretary, two Supervisors, twenty five or so drivers and, a small building with 34 dock doors to load/unload trailers...A happy little family of misfits out away from all the corporate eyes-

It came upon us to create our own fun sometimes.

One day Kelly (our Secretary and, very sweet young lady) brought in one of those "Thrift Catalogs".
Now if you know what I'm talking about...this is where you can find all kinds of neat gadgets and, household items too make life so much easier! :D

Well, it sat on the break room table for a week and, all the drivers had their turn sifting thru its wares.

I remember that Fred took a liking to the Foot Stone that took the roughness off your feet after wearing work boots all week long! :eek:

Jimmy, really liked the super cuddly bathrobes and, ordered a pair for him and, his wife.

Bruce, ordered one of those stress massagers that's shaped like a hotdog since he thought if that young lady in the pictures rubbing her neck looks SO happy- maybe it too can help me unwind on the weekends!

Then I found it! :smile: The ONE thing that caught my eye and, couldn't live without! I grabbed my credit card, called the order line while on my break and, two weeks later a small box arrived on my front porch...

This is where it gets G:D:DD!

Freshly imported from Tawain was my newest bundle of fun! A ten inch tall Brass Monkey Figurine mounted to a plate...Now this wasn't just ANY ole Brass Monkey but, a SPECIAL Brass Monkey!
You see it had a set of brass colored spheres attached via a small magnet and, monofilament line to its mid section-
You see where this is going?

When it got cold enough (roughly 32 degrees farhrenheght) the "Balls" would overcome their magnetic holding forces and, fall down hitting the brass plate...Thus a slight "TING!!" sound and, you knew it was below 32 degrees! :surprised:

GENIUS!

Well the Boss let me attach it to the outside of the window sill located in the Drivers room so we could do our own weather monitoring at our remote location and, it worked quite well!

As a matter of fact during times it was SUCH a sensation that announcements over the intercom became quite regular from our supervisor overseeing us all from his heated office...

*Attention Gentleman-IT IS NOW OFFICIAL! It is cold enough too knock the BALLS off a Brass Monkey! Now get your A$$'s back too work!*

That was usually QUICKLY responded with comments like "No $&%T!"..."Why don't you come out here B!$@H?"..."I got your COLD right HERE!" *beep**beep* from our un heated dock!

It became such a common thing that eventually our neighbors (a small rural Church) located roughly 500 feet to our south started complaining about the intercom...At that time the thought of spending eternity in a "Warmer Place" didn't sound too bad for most of us...

Anyhow, we eventually had to close that terminal down due to budget cuts and, most of us relocated to larger Terminals like the one I work at now in Indianapolis...

On those last few days at Linden the Brass Monkey mysteriously disappeared from the window sill...Popular belief is that a Coyote slipped in under the fence line and, took off with it. At least that's the way i hope...instead of in the dumpster- I'd like too think that my $19.95 investment found a good home considering all the joy it brought to us...:sigh:

Now WHERE are those pictures and, videos?

Last edited:
You don't want to see my pics, good to meet Eric, Jason and Steve, bad to meet the hard ground of the frozen tundra with the two SLAMs I had. The demise of the Batray and high damage to the Firestick - lost camera, broken transmitter, whine whine.
Licking my wounds today.

The up part always looks good... Had some deployment issues. Better than crashing a race car I guess. Back to the build table for me.

Gus I did burn an I-180 SK and had a K675 ready to go but 0 for 2 rockets decided to head back south. Still had fun though.

Things I learned - I'm done friction fitting - looser and shear pin; no more cardboard; more BP

Last edited:
Is that a long 1515 rail? Our group has a 10 foot 1515. 16' is really long. Or is the 16' piece a chunk of C rail for the Gigantor type projects? Kurt
That might be it. I think I am confusing QCRS with another club maybe? I had heard that they loaned their 16' 1515 rail to a member and that member hasn't (or won't) give it back? 16' is definitely longer than standard, but I am looking for one a little longer for a hybrid.

You don't want to see my pics, good to meet Eric, Jason and Steve, bad to meet the hard ground of the frozen tundra with the two SLAMs I had. The demise of the Batray and high damage to the Firestick - lost camera, broken transmitter, whine whine.
Licking my wounds today.

The up part always looks good... Had some deployment issues. Better than crashing a race car I guess. Back to the build table for me.

Gus I did burn an I-180 SK and had a K675 ready to go but 0 for 2 rockets decided to head back south. Still had fun though.

Things I learned - I'm done friction fitting - looser and shear pin; no more cardboard; more BP

Definitely good to meet you. Next time I'll dress warmer and be able to socialize a little more. Sorry that your launches went the way they did. Back at it, and we'll get that K up in February.

That might be it. I think I am confusing QCRS with another club maybe? I had heard that they loaned their 16' 1515 rail to a member and that member hasn't (or won't) give it back? 16' is definitely longer than standard, but I am looking for one a little longer for a hybrid.

No, I gave the 10 foot chunk to PARS and as far as I know, it's not missing from the club trailer. I didn't know one could get a hunk of 1515 16' long. Man that would help with some "marginal" projects.:wink:

Friction fit sucks with cardboard rockets and DD. Shearpins are doable but one needs to J&B some thin pieces of metal or steel on the inside of the cardboard tube to act as a shear. Saves the tube getting ripped to bits.
Must also use powder cups or secure the canisters via zipties to a long screw on the bulkheads otherwise..................... Unrestrained canisters can blow out the sides of cardboard rockets. Stupidhead here had done it twice before he learned.

Kurt

We DID have a double 8' 1515 rail that was joined and then piggie backed onto a unistrut rail. When Manny took the rail to build his launch trailer, we never saw it again.

We DID have a double 8' 1515 rail that was joined and then piggie backed onto a unistrut rail. When Manny took the rail to build his launch trailer, we never saw it again.
I think that is the one that I had heard about. Is there any chance of seeing it being back at QCRC in the future?

17 days..........
Depending on weather...
I800Vmax + Blue Angel + Chute Release = Awesomesauce
K2045 Vmax + Demon98 = headsnap
Any requests for a 3rd?

Back