Hi, I'm new

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leethomas

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Lee, I'm 26 and I live in North Carolina. I'm looking to get started in model rocketry, but everything that I read wants beginners to start out with low power rockets and I would like to start with something with a little more power like in the mid power range, something like F motors. Is this asking too much to start off with or is this a good start? Any help would be great. Thanks.

welcome aboard.
You can start where you want, but F power rockets have quite a bit of power in them - that's probably why you want to start there, but its a bit like learning to drive a car - you would not start in a Bugatti Veyron Bleu Centenaire.
best to start out a bit lower, and build a kit or two, make sure you have the skills and then progress.
no-one is suggesting that you build 50 lower power kits and wait 3 years, but it would be best to build a few low power kits - a 24mm mount, if you want a bit more of a boost and then move up to mid power.
If you get it wrong on a powerful motor then all sorts of nasty things can happen!
and i'm sure everyone will tell you the same -join a club, learn from others that have been there before and already made the mistakes. you will find rocketeers very friendly and helpful people.

leethomas,

We are glad you joined in here---we always have room for one more!

We're sure not going to beat you down and force you to wear low-power training wheels, but jumping straight to mid-power can be a pretty big first step.

F-powered models can sort of straddle the range between extreme low-power and introductory mid-power rocketry. If the rocket is (relatively) large and heavy, it will not accelerate as severely with an F motor, and low-power construction materials and techniques may let you get by. OTOH, if your F-powered model is (relatively) small and light, you are going to need to learn some more about advanced building materials, adhesives, and techniques if the rocket is going to survive the launch, ejection, and recovery.

It would help you a LOT if you could find a local club, where you could see some of these things in person, and where you could get good advice. If you don't have a club in driving distance, I would suggest you start with low-powered models. For one thing, you will have a lot less $$$$$ invested in the rockets, motors, launchers, etc, while you make a few first launches.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a C or D-powered rocket is just a "kid's toy" because some of these will perform just as well as many mid-power designs. If you build a low-power rocket properly it will be light, and a D (or E) motor will take it pretty high. A corresponding mid-power rocket will often be built of more durable materials, but this also makes them a little heavier, so even with an F motor, a mid-power rocket can sometimes turn out to be slower and lower than a lightweight low-power model with a D or E motor.

Take a look at Estes' Blue Ninja, or Stormcaster, or Big Daddy. These will take D motors, and can still use 18mm motors if you use an adapter. Some are already designed for Estes E motors, or can easily be modified. And there are other low-power rocket designs from other vendors that will also perform very well for you.

Starting with Estes-type, low-power rockets will get you started with launch pads and electrical launch controllers that are easier to master, motors that are much easier to find (and cheaper), and igniters that are easier to get the hang of. Many Aerotech mid-power motors now come with improved igniters, but if you happen to get hold of some "old stock" with "Copperhead" igniters you may have a few problems (and learn why many people called them "Crapperheads"). Starting with Estes-type rockets is not really such a bad thing.

If you want to try mid-power right off the bat, you need to know that if you also start off with a nice kit and a reloadable motor system (RMS), you will spend a little chunk of $$$ that could end up drifting away unless you very quickly learn how to compensate for winds aloft. This is another place where low-power rockets can come in handy, because you will want to begin your launch with one or two flights of less expensive rockets to see exactly what the winds up there are doing that day.

Do come back here often to TRF and ask more questions. There are lots of folks here willing to share experiences and opinions, and they can point you to places where you can save money, or safely cut some corners on your way to mid-power operations.

Welcome to TRF!

Just wanted to add to the chorus. Starting off with low power is an inexpensive way to learn the little details and procedures that come with the territory. The stuff you don't know that you don't know.

If you get a few launches with low power, your first mid power will probably go a lot more smoothly.

Lee,

Welcome to the funny farm! A lot of us are old timers and have made all of the mistakes and had the successes.
Powderburner had a lot of great comments as have the others. My first thought of when you mentioned F powered models, was "does he have a suitable launch field?". There is no sense in flying a model if you can't do it safely and get it back. If you have a Hobby Lobby or Micheal's near by, use their weekly or semi-weekly 40% off coupons to get a starter set and see if this is really what you want to do. SEMROC is in eastern NC and they sell kits from 13mm mini-motors to models that will handle a G class motor.
If you can hook up with a club - check out NAR.org and look at the section list, you do not have to have launch gear. It is not impossible to leap to an F motor, but there are lessons to be learned by starting small and learning the basics. If you start with an F, lets hope you own a good pair of running shoes.

Chas
NAR 9790

Hello Lee, Welcome to TRF.

You will find a lot of really great advice here along with some great technical know how.

I don't think starting out with a mid power kit is that big of deal. You can mess up a LPR just as easily as a MPR, it's just cheaper.

In my opinion, MPR can be divided into two classes. 24mm and 29mm.

The 24mm are small and lighter rockets like the Estes Stormcaster. The center of the motor range is about an E with the low end being the Estes black power D & E motors. They will fly quite well on D motors but you can put composite F motors in them and really give them some legs. Most of these kits are built similar to LPR kits with surface mount fins made of balsa or thin plywood.

The 29mm are the heavier MPR that are pushing the Level 1 range. The center of this motor range is a G motor with all motors being composite type motors. Most of these kits are really iffy on E motors and smaller Fs. They really need the big F motors and get great legs on G and H motors. Most of these kits are assembled similar to high power kits with through the wall fin mounting and no motor blocks or retention.

Where ever you want to start, listen to the advice about finding a club. Even the NAR clubs that concentrate on LPR contest flying will usually have a few MPR and HPR pads available. Most of the TRA launches will have plenty of HPR and MPR pads but will usually have a few LPR pads too. They also tend to have larger fields because they tend to fly the larger models.

Good luck, have fun, and fly safe!

Thanks for the kind words, I will take in consideration what all yall have said and look into the clubs around me I think there is 2 clubs near me.

Thanks for the kind words, I will take in consideration what all yall have said and look into the clubs around me I think there is 2 clubs near me.

We'll keep watch for your launch report and pictures!

Hi,
My name is Lee, I'm 26 and I live in North Carolina. I'm looking to get started in model rocketry, but everything that I read wants beginners to start out with low power rockets and I would like to start with something with a little more power like in the mid power range, something like F motors. Is this asking too much to start off with or is this a good start? Any help would be great. Thanks.

I've seen way too many people take that tack and not have the basics down. Plus, they really don't understand what kind of power they get in some of the larger motors.

Get an Alpha, a Big Bertha, an Executioner. Doesn't take long to build them.
Fly em. Alpha on A, Bertha on B & C, Executioner on D and E.
Get a feel for how they boost, how long delays should be, how far they drift, the differences between power levels, etc.

Then get yourself an Aerotech Initiator and try an F and a G motor.

-----------

of course, you can just contact the club there in the Charlotte area, ROCC, and maybe they'll tell you, "sure, get a big honkin' rocket and let er rip!" But at least they'll be there to show you the right way to do so.

-----------

I should also plug our launch!! Depending on where you are in NC, you might not mind driving down to Georgia and our launch this Saturday in Hoschton, GA. It is just off I-85 between Jefferson and Braselton. See www.soarrocketry.org for details! Of course, I just checked the forecast and it doesn't look too good.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I still bring a bunch of LPR to our club launches. There was a couple of times that low clouds rolled in and we were limited to LPR till they moved out. Broke out some boost gliders and some old reliables. Got to launch all day, they are still a bunch of fun.

Welcome Lee. Where in NC are you. I am near Hillsborough/Roxboro. I have lots of spare parts to get you started either way. Feel free to call or contact me off list or in a PM. I wont charge you for anything you get,I love to help a newbie get going. Plus I love showing my toys off.

Well first a big welcome and how do!!!!

I would say dont knock low power rockets till you fly a few. You will be suprised how well they preform. also the starter sets get you right out and flying. and some of the pads are able to go up to some mpr as well with the change of the lauch rod to 5mm. as some have stated their are kits in lpr that change to mpr and others that can be modified. I would say if your just getting into rocketry then take baby steps. just like any hobby. start small and work your way up. :D. if you have questions ask. and most of all have fun.

If I were you, I'd get an Alpha or one of the other Estes starter kits. They come with a launch controller and launch pad, and are actually a really good deal. (For $15 you get everything you need to launch rockets+a rocket, instead of the $25 it would cost you to buy the components separately.

As for a good mid-power rocket, I would reccomend the LOC Weasel.

Back