brass launch lugs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a PML kit that has brass launch lugs. I was wondering if I need an adhesive promotor on them. I sprayed it on the fins and nose cone, but never thought to spray it on brass. As far as the QT PML suggests just to sand primer and paint.

The rocket is already in primer right now, so if I need to prep them I can. I just notice that the primer sands off really easy on the launch lugs. This is my first PML kit and I never worked with brass before so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks guys:)

I have used them on 3 PML kits. I just rough up the brass & the airframe with sandpaper and use epoxy. Haven't used any promoter. Many fights & they're still solid.

I'm presuming that this is a MPR or HPR rocket.

I thought that most are moving away from LL on MPR/HPR and more towards rail buttons due to rod whip issues.

I'm presuming that this is a MPR or HPR rocket.

I thought that most are moving away from LL on MPR/HPR and more towards rail buttons due to rod whip issues.

It came with launch lugs because its piston ejection and the rail buttons would interfere with the operation of the piston and it is a HPR

Never tried them...do you have a link for the site I can buy them from and what size should I get as far s do they have sizes specific for certain diameter rockets?

https://www.giantleaprocketry.com/products/components_launch_systems.aspx

The rail guides are sold by size to fit the airframes diameter, I have used them on several rockets and like how clean they look, also they are sold as a two pack. You can cut them in half and use just one for a rocket.

Last edited:
Those are really cool thank so much for the link.

Conformal I was thinking of the ones that formed to the shape of the airframe? I think Apogee sells them? Not a button, but more like a guide.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...m-Tube?zenid=b78941986746f8015e991f2ef55132f6

The one Apogee sells are nearly identical to the Acme Conformal Rail guides (about halfway down the GLR page, in the Conformal Launch Guides section) just the Acme ones are aluminum, and the Apogee ones are (iirc) 3D printed by Rosenfield Aerospace of plastic. GLR also has the teardropped shaped rail buttons (top of page).

The one Apogee sells are nearly identical to the Acme Conformal Rail guides (about halfway down the GLR page, in the Conformal Launch Guides section) just the Acme ones are aluminum, and the Apogee ones are (iirc) 3D printed by Rosenfield Aerospace of plastic. GLR also has the teardropped shaped rail buttons (top of page).

I like the different options that are available. I didn't realize that there were many to choose from.

I like the different options that are available. I didn't realize that there were many to choose from.

I like options too, the rail guides can be masked and painted to match the rocket, I haven't done it yet myself but the parts that actually touch the rail are masked off, and the upper surfaces are painted to match.

Back