In summary

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_o_guy

Reaction score
The E.D. thread has gotten me
Take a shot at streamers,
My launch control will light off any of the black powder,Estes motors,
I downloaded the PDF that has been referenced twice, now I need to remember that it's there, look there,
Like a new tool in the tool box,
Talc, Not Cornstarch,,
How to build a tumbler,, and, even if the crepe paper works great, I think it'd be cool to build the last rocket differently.

And, but, so, well, what Next?
Honestly,I'm more into the whole thing than the kid.
I'm wanting to step up a bit, suggestions would be appreciated. The motor / fin plastic is a great way to start, but, I can do rings in a tube, and mark center on balsa blanks and sand, I Need some Wow factor for the kid, he just isn't responding the way I was hoping for.
The number of designs out there is just enormous. Is there a search method to narrow it down? Any suggestions for the next step would be cool. As for tools, work space, I have about everything, short of a lathe.
I'm willing to consider a payload type rocket. I still don't speak the language well enough to even name the different companies that sell them.

on the other hand perhaps you need something other than 'blink and you miss it' rockets the 'Estes big bertha' is a 'low and slow' rocket that many like to watch(because you can watch it) the mega mosquito is another crowd pleaser.
Rex

OK. Get ready.... you will likely get about as many different answers to this inquiry as the number of rocketeers that respond. And, most all of the suggestions will be good options. Outside of what you may do next, as far as 'Wow factor' for your son, look for a high power launch you can attend. Bigger rockets with bigger motors could get his attention. From your post, I'm guessing you have not done this yet.

Here's what I did after the Estes kits using black powder motors in the A to E range. The Estes PS (Pro Series) kits are a good way to get a little bigger without breaking a budget. They use 29mm diameter motors and the building techniques are pretty straight forward. You can make some modifications if you want to try some things more likely to help you if you want to get into high power rocketry. You can use single use motors, or start getting experience with reloadable motor systems from manufacturers such as Cesaroni and Aerotech. As you can see by my signature, I flew an H motor in my modified Estes Leviathan (a PS kit) for my Level 1 high power certification flight. There are many more options for larger kits as well. Madcow and LOC Precision have many slightly larger rockets that fly on 29mm motors.

My experiences with my kids have varied. I have 3, and each has had varying levels of interest in rocketry at different times. Currently my oldest boy is 16. A few years ago he liked coming to launches, but currently the high school social and sports scene is where he focuses his energy. Fortunately he enjoys trying to beat his old man in basketball, so I have that to stay involved with him. My daughter is 13, and she will come to a launch with me now and again. She likes keeping up with where I am in my current builds and she enjoys helping me plan the finishing (decals, paint scheme and color scheme). My youngest boy is 11 and he is the most interested currently. He has built a few smaller rockets and enjoys launching with me. He was talking about building something bigger from scratch with my help, but that interest seems to be fading some. Honestly, I would tell you to pursue your interests and see if anything catches the interest of your son. If he wants to, have him help you build. If he wants something of his own, you help him build. Every launch I attend, I ask each one if they want to come with. Even if I know the answer is going to be 'no', I want them to know I would enjoy their company. Good luck!

Keep asking questions... lots of really smart and experienced rocket lovers here.

Last edited:
The kid is my soon to be six year old grandson. His bicycle is a year old. He can't ride it. His focus is on anything that failure has no repercussions. You can always start a game over, don't ya know... I can keep him focused on building, and I've been working with him on writing and reading, but I want to ignite some curiosity, passion, desire to DO, without needing someone there to keep him at it. I appreciate the time to actually type a response. All the suggestions are appreciated. One thing that really jumped out at me was the bigger, slower rocket that isn't GONE, right Daggum Now...
I'm really interested in that kind of rocket. And not just for him. I think I would dig that. Something that kinda lumbers into the sky. I can't make him care, but I intend to have fun, and, hopefully, that will be contagious. He knows I'm just about always in the shop, building or fixing something.
Right now it's the SKS, scattered around the shop, cleaning, clearancing the firing pin carrier, so magazines can be installed or removed with the bolt closed, and, gonna swap out the hammer and reshape a new sear, get some more creep out of the trigger, etc..
Daggum good forum, thanks.

we sometimes forget that it takes practice to watch rockets. my observations are that new spectators might be expecting something like what they have seen in a video (or telly), they just are not expecting to see something that leaves the pad at high gee. one other thing that helps people see the rocket is to get them further back from the launch, even as little as 10 - 15' can make a large difference in being able to track a rocket in flight. the big bertha is nice and there is a shorter baby bertha (in case someone suddenly decides they want to build), the parts are big enough to see and handle. and unless one uses the stock chute it is less likely to lose them on the recommended motors. if you are glancing at the Estes catalog the key words are skill level one (or two) and 500 - 600' altitude also .976" (or larger) diameter. that will narrow your search but still leave a fair amount to choose from. good luck
Rex

Ha! Target has Big Berthas for twenty bucks.
Surely hobby lobby has the motors.
I noticed a comment about the stock chute, losing the rocket,
Is the chute too big? I still have motors for the little rockets I have, and an as yet unbuilt rocket. It's gonna be a tumbler. These chutes have been a hassle and another, experienced,member reported same, so, I don't feel bad about it.
I've watched many a rocket rumble off the pad. A slow to climb model will suit me fine.

a big bertha can usually recover nicely on a 12" chute, a 15" chute if you have a lot of rocks or pavement. C6-3s if you tend to build heavy.
Rex

I'll go with the c63, I like epoxy on balsa. I should be getting a Christmas Card from Devcon this year.
Gravel drive, some trees, good sized yard, and acres of scrubby crap I wouldn't wanna go four wheeling on, but, if it floats out in that, I Can oooze out and get it with the backhoe. But there are places even it can't go.
Wife's going shopping today. I'll ask if she'll drop by target and order Big Bertha.
I don't mind if it doesn't make 500 feet. I'm more interested in seeing it accelerate slowly, and I expect a different pitched sound from a C motor. Maybe the
Push the button
Flashwhooshsmoke poof
And wait for it to hit the ground is just over too quick to appreciate..

I'm seriously down with bigger, slower.

if the prevailing winds blow across the driveway, and the launch site is near it, then I would suggest a 15" chute.
Rex

What you are doing is.much like I do with my son. He likes building things, mostly on MineCraft, but he still creates things with Legos, so I try to get him involved with small parts of each build. He has a couple that he built but he just can't handle more than about 30 min at a time. For his birthday, he is getting a skill level 1 and a skill 2 rocket. For Christmas, it is an Argent that we can build together (or side by side if Santa is good to me).

The key for me is to recognize when boredom sets in and not push too far. Even if rockets aren't something that excite him, we still have Scouts. That is one of the few things that can hold his attention that doesn't involve a glowing screen.

Oh, I forgot my kit suggestion. I don't remember the kit number but we like our Monarch, the white and green one in the catalogue. It is not as slow off the pad as the BB but it is a good balance of woosh and low and slow for us, especially on smaller motors.

look up 'key fob camera'. generally used with air frames 1.637" diameter and larger, usually blue tape will work up to 400 - 600 mph. once you get over say 2.5" diameter tubing a camera bay could be used for internal mounting.
Rex

The Monarch video I found had one, and, I Thought I saw that it used an A series motor,
I'll find you tube stuff. Never heard of blue tape, I've always thought duct tape was pretty much IT,,

There's a Big Bertha on a C motor in this video at 1:45

[video=youtube;TD8wTjX5AoU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD8wTjX5AoU[/video]

cute kid nice video, thanks. blue tape = blue masking tape (comes in regular and 'for delicate surfaces). some folks use vinyl tape.
Rex

I hope I got the email notification shut off. I would appreciate the mods , whoever, eliminate my account.

Clearly failed at shutting down the email notification that a post has been replied to. I'm as interested in it as you are of me being here.

Shut my account off.
Thanks

Not sure about the email thing but, how about some kind of saucer for the kid, they don't go high, all kinds of sizes, kinda fun I think.

Not sure about the email thing but, how about some kind of saucer for the kid, they don't go high, all kinds of sizes, kinda fun I think.

Thanks, but,, I'm done. I just want to Not see another email reminder. I don't care if the account is eliminated or not. I don't have to come here.
I hope this isn't insufficiently clear. I'm pretty sure I can get shut down.

I've been on several sites through the years. When I was rebuilding the top end of a Raptor four wheeler, getting help from those people was like pulling teeth. Haven't quite figured out exactly how to describe this trip,but
One I'd do again
Sure ain't it.
Turn my account OFF.

Like pulling teeth? I can see why with English like that. It was extremely hard to follow the thread at times

Uh, seemed like people were being helpful, but for some reason he got unhappy pretty quick between Nov 30 to Dec 3rd?

I don't get it. :confused2:

- George Gassaway

Uh, seemed like people were being helpful, but for some reason he got unhappy pretty quick between Nov 30 to Dec 3rd?

I don't get it. :confused2:

- George Gassaway

Then he posted his "Bye, all" thread...his remarks were so cryptic and spooky I wondered about his mental health.

Then he posted his "Bye, all" thread...his remarks were so cryptic and spooky I wondered about his mental health.

Don't worry about my anything. I'm fine. Not impressed, but fine. I'm sure most of you are great guys. And the
Other stuff
Thread has some great stuff.
I'm aware of some things said. Didn't appreciate it.
Cryptic to you, maybe. Perhaps less acid and more paintball would have been better.

Just turn it off.

Don't worry about my anything. I'm fine. Not impressed, but fine. I'm sure most of you are great guys. And the
Other stuff
Cryptic to you, maybe. Perhaps less acid and more paintball would have been better.

Just turn it off.

Actually my name came from a small business adventure i tried to start for paintball gear and had nothing to do with drugs, but most always assumed it had something to do with drugs or shooting people with acid rounds...

Other stuff

Just turn it off.

I give up trying to figure out what you want or how to help you. Go act like a troll somewhere else. Blocked (that's the ignore feature if you care to look for it).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back