The "Lean-the-rocket-against-a-wall-only-to-have-it-fall" problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Below is a quote from Barkley's MooMoo Build:

In other news, my daughter leaned up the rocket against a wall, only to have it fall on the uneven tile floor. You guess it - the point load cracked it. It's an easy fix, and I'm glad it happened before paint, but it also taught me that the nose cone method still needs some work.

Ok, the "Lean-the-rocket-against-a-wall-only-to-have-it-fall" is a big problem for me too (as is all the resulting damage too). We're smarter than that.

One thing I tried was to use little blobs of poster putty set up at various points along the wall the prevent falls, this has worked, but I've also pulled paint off with it. Typically, my leaning rockets were vertically stacked several deep, so once one started to go, it'd take down a dozen others with it (or more :mad:). Pressing the nosecones into the blobs works some, but I know that there's got to be a better way.

Reading his post made me think of those cradles that I've seen made out of PVC... (e.g. jpummil's (below))

picture.php

When not being used as a cradle, perhaps it could be set up to be used as a vertical stand. Or create a dedicated stand using something similar.

Anybody else have ideas? And remember... A lot of us here are visual. Photos please, if you got em.

Last edited:
And then there is this. Built it to hold 8 rockets and to put in the back of my pickup during the nicer weather to transport them to the club launch site.

Rocket Rack.jpg

And then there is this. Built it to hold 8 rockets and to put in the back of my pickup during the nicer weather to transport them to the club launch site.

View attachment 276793

Have the police ever pulled you over? I could see this freaking some people out, but hey, that's their problem. But I would put the military looking ones on top, well... just because.

I actually haven't used it yet at the field but it will be interesting to see the reactions this spring.

Really couldn't be any different than having rockets standing up in the back seat of my truck.

I have rockets stored in various boxes bungee'd to the garage wall. I take whatever boxes are kinda tall and square (including the one for the EZ Up), and can fit a few 2-3" rockets in each nose down. I figure the point of the nose cone always gets the paint messed up anyway, so it's not a big deal to add to it. I just got a couple of cardboard barrels that were free outside a party rent place--I think they used them for big canopy poles. When the office finally scans 55 years of hand drawings on vellum, I'll probably be able to pick up some cardboard dividers to help preserve paint better.

I need to build something like this. Because, despite being well aware that gravity is (in fact) still in operation, I keep trying to lean them against the wall... :facepalm:

I am curious to see what folks come up with. But I need some clarification -- are you looking for permanent storage ideas (i.e., this is how the rocket will live between launch dates), or just a temporary solution for when you need to let go of the rocket to do something else....

I have an advantage in that my workshop has no sheetrock. AKA I lean it in the corner of a stud and the plywood. No falling :)

Latest posts

Back