Vanguard TV-0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
Following up on my Viking 7, I built Viking 13, better known as Vanguard TV-0, from this thread:

Vanguard TV-0.jpg

It scales out as about 1:33 scale with a BT-55 body tube. The reentry pods are scrap balsa sanded to shape and glued on.

I flew it on Sunday and it flies really well. I believe I launched on a B6-4 because it was so windy. I'll try it on a C6-5 next nice launch day we get (which will probably be next spring).

Screen shot 2015-10-18 at 1.49.36 PM.jpg
View attachment Vanguard TV-0.ork

Each of the Viking vehicles was different from the others in small and sometimes not-so-small ways.

To the OP - neat! I'd been looking hard at a Viking for Scale at NARAM last year and gathering data for same before I decided that driving to Tucson for a meet in late July was not such a brilliant idea. I hadn't decided on which Viking vehicle to model yet.

Looks cool! The Viking 10 in Rockets of the World looks a little bit different.

Yes--they were all different. The Viking Program was the basis for Project Vanguard, so Viking 13 became Vanguard TV-0 (test vehicle). It was used to test the tracking system, I believe. I designed a Viking 9 model,which is more like Viking 10:

View attachment Viking 9.ork

I don't know if anyone make a nosecone like that, though. My LHS was unloading a bunch of balsa nose cones, so I was looking for a way to use them. This one was longer, so I thought it looked like Vanguard TV-0:

Vanguard%20TV0%20%28Viking%2013%29-NASA%20Photo50.JPG

Check out these cool paper models, comparing Viking 10 to Vanguard TV-0:

TV0_sm4.jpg

https://www.nielspapermodels.com/TV_0.htm

Each of the Viking vehicles was different from the others in small and sometimes not-so-small ways.

To the OP - neat! I'd been looking hard at a Viking for Scale at NARAM last year and gathering data for same before I decided that driving to Tucson for a meet in late July was not such a brilliant idea. I hadn't decided on which Viking vehicle to model yet.

I did a Viking 7, too. What size were you looking to model?

I hadn't really decided. The main direction I was headed was using an Estes Leviathan as a parts donor, which favors doing one from 8-13. That would be 3 inches OD and about the right length. But it never got more than me comparing the different drawings I'd gotten from different sources to come up with a consistent view, reading the book about the program that was written by the chief engineer (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007DVDZ6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20), and getting some pictures from the Martin museum on CD.

Maybe over Christmas break I can get back to that. A Viking 1-7 based using a Partizon as the parts donor would also be a good way to go....

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't really decided. The main direction I was headed was using an Estes Leviathan as a parts donor, which favors doing one from 8-13. That would be 3 inches OD and about the right length. But it never got more than me comparing the different drawings I'd gotten from different sources to come up with a consistent view, reading the book about the program that was written by the chief engineer (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007DVDZ6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20), and getting some pictures from the Martin museum on CD.

Maybe over Christmas break I can get back to that. A Viking 1-7 based using a Partizon as the parts donor would also be a good way to go....

In this thread I posted a Partizon OR I edited to look like Viking 1-8:

View attachment Estes Partizon(2)viking.ork

I was thinking of slotting one of the main tubes for the fins, then cut off the section slotted for the 3 fins and make that into a payload bay... they're still on sale for $22.50, I suppose I should. There's a gentleman who has built some Viking Models:
https://www.postwarv2.com/viking/viking.html

Viking 7
Viking 9

Might be useful for ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back