Rocketry Warehouse Big Black Friday Sale Anouncement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends what's available and what's ordered..... one has nothing to do with the other really....

With all due respect, unless you were specifically told that, I suspect it's a guess.

Last I heard "he fully expects to be through the backlog by the end of this weekend", but apparently not in my case. I placed the first of my bf orders at 6:49AM EST on 11/27, so I would think it's near the front of the orders. If any one or two items were holding it up, a quick email or communication would go a long way. It appears that being patient may have cost me since if I had called earlier, maybe I would've had a chance to find out about my orders. :facepalm:

For the record, I have an order still outstanding from another seller that's going on ~6 months now, but I'm patient since I heard good things about him and he was having trouble getting some parts from suppliers. I also placed an order with another seller a month ago and it wasn't shipped (I initially told them no rush to get it before Christmas) and it was apparently forgotten since something came up for them, but after I emailed, it was shipped quickly with an apology. See...I can be quite patient and understanding! :)

I wrote a rant with more stuff, but my more reasonable side won out. I'll be more patient and continue to call (calls #5-10 coming tomorrow morning RW!). However I've saved my draft and if I don't get my order or an update this week, I'll likely post it.:pc:

I have to be fair...I leave honest positive feedback for good sellers, so it's only right that I leave honest feedback when a situation goes bad.

I've yet to be sold on any other nosecones just yet. And there's what, three? Tim's mystery supply, Curtis, and Hawk? Did I miss anyone?

Perhaps they're enough? I don't know who all those people are (business names).

Never questioned RW's ubiquitous acclaim of quality or utility (if not customer service), but I stand by my point that, unless they are THE manufacturer and NO ONE ELSE has the ability to fill the void, the void will be filled, given enough time and demand.

I'm actually surprised that no one else has yet ventured into competing products with some of RWs offerings that seem to be so universally loved.

For the record, the 1.6 FWFG nose cones that I got from RW look identical to the ones that I got from MadCow. Not sure if they're parallel evolution, generic manufacturer sold through two outlets, or rebranded one from the other.

Last edited:
Last I heard "he fully expects to be through the backlog by the end of this weekend", but apparently not in my case. I placed the first of my bf orders at 6:49AM EST on 11/27, so I would think it's near the front of the orders. If any one or two items were holding it up, a quick email or communication would go a long way. It appears that being patient may have cost me since if I had called earlier, maybe I would've had a chance to find out about my orders. :facepalm:

I am waiting for a Mouse, Terminator, 75mm Fiberglass Mongoose, and a quart kit of rocketpoxy. There have already been builds on TRF for the Mouse and Terminator.

With all due respect, unless you were specifically told that, I suspect it's a guess.

and unless you do.... you're just guessing too. And suggesting a vendor is sitting on your order for no reason..... So which is more likely?

Perhaps they're enough? I don't know who all those people are (business names).

Never questioned RW's ubiquitous acclaim of quality or utility (if not customer service), but I stand by my point that, unless they are THE manufacturer and NO ONE ELSE has the ability to fill the void, the void will be filled, given enough time and demand.

I'm actually surprised that no one else has yet ventured into competing products with some of RWs offerings that seem to be so universally loved.

For the record, the 1.6 FWFG nose cones that I got from RW look identical to the ones that I got from MadCow. Not sure if they're parallel evolution, generic manufacturer sold through two outlets, or rebranded one from the other.

Madcow is all Curtis's glass. Widman used to be all curtis glass until a little over a year ago. Still watching to see how that situation shakes out, it doesn't seem stabilized at all just yet. Curtis supplies RW.

No one else does this because the costs and time are pretty high. filament wrapping nosecones in this variety has to SUCK.

It would be much much simpler for RW to hire someone else on than hope some new guy sets up a whole new shop. Tim seems to be having some success with his new supply...but like I said, nosecones seem to be an issue.

Soo yea... he pretty much is the guy and no one else is able to fill the void...if there ever was one.

Hawk makes amazing tubing...but I don't know much about their production capabilities, and kind of doubt they could handle the volume RW and Madcow are pushing out combined.

Since we're all theorizing, speculating, guessing, etc., I'll add a bit of info to muddy things up even more:

When I spoke to Curtis a week or so ago, he told me quite plainly that the reason that my order had been delayed was that he was waiting on a stick of 38mm coupler tubing "from the supplier". This was Curtis speaking, the guy who supposedly IS the supplier, according to what folks here seem to "know". Others have hinted at similar things being said by RW (which means that they were also most likely talking to Curtis). Seems a bit odd, don't it?

So, who is this mystery "supplier"? And why was my own RW order delayed for so long waiting for this mystery supplier to come through?
hmmm?

s6

and unless you do.... you're just guessing too. And suggesting a vendor is sitting on your order for no reason..... So which is more likely?

No...I've never suggested "a vendor is sitting on your order for no reason". i was saying that it steams me that they sent out an order placed last week while I haven't gotten any update or communications on my order. My earlier statement which I think is a fair statement:

Alright...I would consider myself very patient and understanding, but this is getting me a bit steamed now. I have been waiting patiently for about 2 months now, so I would hope that they would fill my order (or provide me an update or return my calls) before shipping an order submitted just last week. Basic good business practice as well as basic common courtesy.

I do agree that it is more likely that RW can send out something someone just ordered and they have in stock and on hand; however if your guess is right, it still steams me that they are doing this when they can be spending some time to update people on their orders or answer their phone or even just one post or communication to be distributed here.

Should we both be guessing? How long should I wait...3 months? When should I call my credit card company? Unfortunately these are things I realistically have to consider now.

Look...I don't want to start a flame war (especially since we'll likely meet to fly rockets one day at MDRA :cheers:). I started on the side of being patient and understanding (which I think is your side); however things change when this stuff happens to you and it's your money on the line and communications are getting worse not better. I've dealt enough with past bad situations and lost enough money to not want to go through that again.

Madcow is all Curtis's glass. Widman used to be all curtis glass until a little over a year ago. Still watching to see how that situation shakes out, it doesn't seem stabilized at all just yet. Curtis supplies RW.

No one else does this because the costs and time are pretty high. filament wrapping nosecones in this variety has to SUCK.

It would be much much simpler for RW to hire someone else on than hope some new guy sets up a whole new shop. Tim seems to be having some success with his new supply...but like I said, nosecones seem to be an issue.

Soo yea... he pretty much is the guy and no one else is able to fill the void...if there ever was one.

Hawk makes amazing tubing...but I don't know much about their production capabilities, and kind of doubt they could handle the volume RW and Madcow are pushing out combined.

So lets see if I have this right:

Curtis = RW = manufacturer

Tim = Wildman = used to be rebranded RW, but now has a mystery supplier

MadCow = rebranded RW

Last edited:
Look...I don't want to start a flame war (especially since we'll likely meet to fly rockets one day at MDRA :cheers:). I started on the side of being patient and understanding (which I think is your side); however things change when this stuff happens to you and it's your money on the line and communications are getting worse not better. I've dealt enough with past bad situations and lost enough money to not want to go through that again.

MDRA would be good times. I do need to travel more.

Waiting sucks. I think we just need to convince the people at all the various vendors that we promise to still buy way way too many rockets if they drop prices to a set sustainable rate all year round, and stop doing these insane black friday sales. I think they'd actually wind up selling MORE, as I know myself I would buy more rockets on a month to month basis than I do now.... where it's only logical to buy on BF, and then everyone mostly sits the rest of the year thinking " MAN...i want ROCKETX. But it's $300 now, and it was just on sale for $15o on BF.... now i've gotta wait a year for it again" Just sell it year round at $165 and we'll still buy the snot out them. I think the hobby really really needs this.

I'm not saying they could't do sales and short kit runs for a good discount to offload fast here and there..... but it's loaded now to the point an insane percentage of kits are sold on two days....then we wait months and months for them. That sales model needs to die.... and it's going to take us buying at real prices all year long to support that sustainable market environment.

That sales model needs to die.... and it's going to take us buying at real prices all year long to support that sustainable market environment.

I don't think that anyone (at least on the consumer side of the equation) disagrees with you, but it's going to take "real prices all year long".

MDRA would be good times. I do need to travel more.

Waiting sucks. I think we just need to convince the people at all the various vendors that we promise to still buy way way too many rockets if they drop prices to a set sustainable rate all year round, and stop doing these insane black friday sales. I think they'd actually wind up selling MORE, as I know myself I would buy more rockets on a month to month basis than I do now.... where it's only logical to buy on BF, and then everyone mostly sits the rest of the year thinking " MAN...i want ROCKETX. But it's $300 now, and it was just on sale for $15o on BF.... now i've gotta wait a year for it again" Just sell it year round at $165 and we'll still buy the snot out them. I think the hobby really really needs this.

I'm not saying they could't do sales and short kit runs for a good discount to offload fast here and there..... but it's loaded now to the point an insane percentage of kits are sold on two days....then we wait months and months for them. That sales model needs to die.... and it's going to take us buying at real prices all year long to support that sustainable market environment.

Oops...I meant meet you at URRG/URRF/Potter - sorry...I was recently thinking of visiting MDRA this year and it's actually about the same travel time as from me to Potter, so I got it jumbled in my head...probably tired from all the to-do on this). :)

Well, the BF / Non-BF thing can be an even more heated debate. For me, I buy from all around at all prices. Additionally, it ate at me that everyone was talking about the great bf/bs sale items they got all of last year and I had just missed them (was mostly LP when the sales were on and didn't even know about them). Regardless of this, even if this wasn't a BF sale, I would still feel the same given the situation.

Well, enough on this for now and sorry for the heated discussions. I need to read up more about building Flutter-bys to mellow my mood. :wink:

Heated discussions are fun...and hey we got time while we wait :)

The cool thing this past year or so has been the hump day happy hour sales. Not only did it spread out the love, but it helped introduce a TON of really cool kits.

I still wanna see a 2.6" with a 48" booster, 22" payload, 54mm mount, and 1/8" fins but that's so close to a few of them now I may just have to scratch it next winter.

I placed the first of my bf orders at 6:49AM EST on 11/27, so I would think it's near the front of the orders.

BTW - Did anyone else notice I actually placed my order before the sale officially began at 7AM? I happened to check the site and saw the sale prices already posted, so I managed to place my order and got confirmation at 6:49AM. I would think I'm one of the first few (if not the first) to place a bf order during this sale.

Heated discussions are fun...and hey we got time while we wait :)

I still wanna see a 2.6" with a 48" booster, 22" payload, 54mm mount, and 1/8" fins but that's so close to a few of them now I may just have to scratch it next winter.

Then you better order now if you want it by NEXT winter.:lol:

Okay, time for a lengthy update. :)

I checked how I paid for my two BF orders which I thought were still open and the first BF order (6:49AM one) I paid for with Paypal and the other was paid for with a credit card. I went to Paypal to check the charge and it was paid, so I went to contact the seller, which in this case automatically files a claim and noted that I had until 2/16 for resolution.

I then called RW and left a third message. Then called from my cell phone in case there's some screening on their end since my home phone has an unlisted number.

About an hour or so later Curtis calls me. :w:

Seems there was a lot of confusion and some miscommunication on my orders.

#1 & #3 orders - I had a "Black November Week" order of a Terminator 5 placed on 11/20 (Order #1) and I had gotten shipment notification email for it on 1/13 and got the box about a week later, opened the top to check what it was and closed it back once I saw it was the T5 (I partially pulled out the bt just to check out the bright color), then I stored it away for the meantime. Curtis told me that my BF order placed on 11/28 (#3) was actually already shipped to me. I noted that I didn't get any email confirmation or tracking info on it. He looked it up and after a short scare that perhaps it got sent to someone else (sorry Curtis), he told me that it was included in along with the T5 shipment. I couldn't believe it! I hadn't taken out the contents, so I went back and did so and sure enough, the smaller #3 order was included in there. My not fully opening the order and checking was my fault, so my apologies for that - it's always good practice to fully open and review your orders.

#2 order - This one was a good one to follow up on. Curtis noted to me that there was some issue with Paypal payments not sending notification to one of their departments, so they didn't know about the order (don't quote me...I can't remember exactly what he said). So he was calling since he saw my PayPal Claim notification. He also apologized if I couldn't get through the phone saying that I may have called just when he had stepped out. I noted I called 6 times (across 3 days) and left 2 messages. He said that unfortunately their answering machine was broken. So Curtis asked if I still wanted the order, to which I said I would, and he replied that he'd work on getting it out right away.

Long story short, in my case this was a mix of broken systems, miscommunication, bad timing and mistakes. If you've paid for your order with Paypal and haven't gotten it yet, it might be a good idea to call or email for a follow up.

Thanks Everyone!

Called RW this morning and they were very helpful in changing my order. I was already at the back of the line, and either moved up by removing an over-hot kit that everybody else wanted - or, I have moved myself again to the end of the line.

Oh, well. <Heads out to garage to work on broken boat motor mount>

All is fully resolved now, so I promise everyone this will be my LAST post in this thread...

My order arrived Monday morning. It was shipped via FedEx SmartPost which delivery is apparently handled (to some degree) by USPS? Had RW told me that I would have given them my PO Box number - no matter...
IMG_4315.jpg

My order was filled completely and accurately - a fiberglass Mongoose 75 kit plus some extra parts I included later on (not pictured here).
IMG_4320.jpg

Now to get building!

Hey are those bevelled fins on that 75 mongoose? Hoping mine ships soon.

My order was filled completely and accurately - a fiberglass Mongoose 75 kit plus some extra parts I included later on (not pictured here).

Oh now thats sexy. Can't wait for mine now lol.

SmartPost is whats called "last mile delivery" by USPS. FedEx delivers it to the local PO, who handles the actual delivery.

All is fully resolved now, so I promise everyone this will be my LAST post in this thread...

My order arrived Monday morning. It was shipped via FedEx SmartPost which delivery is apparently handled (to some degree) by USPS? Had RW told me that I would have given them my PO Box number - no matter...
View attachment 281418

View attachment 281419

Now to get building!

Totally regret not buying one of these now :(.

Called RW a few times this morning. Each time I got "your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the # and call again"
Anyone else got this in the past?

Back