Trying to Climb out of the Rut...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAHagen

Reaction score
Okay... I need ideas.

With college applications, and picking up a sport, and dual-credit college work, I've been unable to touch my rocketry stuff for a couple months... Now as Christmas break approaches I'm wanting to get back into the hobby, I'm finding it terribly difficult to decide what I want to build. I could build a cluster.... Or a two-stage.... Or number of other things...

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Make it something quick and easy because once your Freshman year of college hits there are parties, sporting events, parties, girls, parties, fraternity pledging, parties, campus golf and or campus tours, parties, movie nights and of course, more parties. My Pershing 1 A went unfinished until grad school.

I agree with quick and easy. I'm liking the Rocketry Warehouse Rapton 38 and the Madcow Mini-Frenzy. Both are high quality thin wall fiberglass, dual-deploy ready and fly on cheap (college finances and all) 29mm mid- and high-power motors. Better yet in a few days they will likely have great Black Friday sales prices.

Okay... I need ideas.

With college applications, and picking up a sport, and dual-credit college work, I've been unable to touch my rocketry stuff for a couple months... Now as Christmas break approaches I'm wanting to get back into the hobby, I'm finding it terribly difficult to decide what I want to build. I could build a cluster.... Or a two-stage.... Or number of other things...

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

. I could build a cluster.

I've done this inadvertently in several ways.
I can't recommend it.

Try an odd-roc like the Rocketarium Vorticos to get you out of a rut: https://www.rocketarium.com/index.p...arch_in_description=1&keyword=vortico&x=0&y=0

They are reasonably priced, build fairly quickly (if you skip the fancy paint job), fly low and slow, are "different", don't have to worry about wadding and chutes, come in 3 sizes, need just a small launch site and you can also make your own short launch rod pad. The little ones are cheap and easy to launch and the big one is a hoot to fly (last time I flew it a bunch of rocketeers picked it up after it landed in front of the RSO table since they'd never seen one before).

Plus they're small and fairly tough, so you can pack them easily and take them with you in your car trunk or to College. :)

image-ken-e-coyotes-rocketarium-mega-vortico-300-600-035115160701368.jpg
image-megavortico3bjpg-300-600-033715162509491.jpg

Try an odd-roc like the Rocketarium Vorticos to get you out of a rut: https://www.rocketarium.com/index.p...arch_in_description=1&keyword=vortico&x=0&y=0

They are reasonably priced, build fairly quickly (if you skip the fancy paint job), fly low and slow, are "different", don't have to worry about wadding and chutes, come in 3 sizes, need just a small launch site and you can also make your own short launch rod pad. The little ones are cheap and easy to launch and the big one is a hoot to fly (last time I flew it a bunch of rocketeers picked it up after it landed in front of the RSO table since they'd never seen one before).

Plus they're small and fairly tough, so you can pack them easily and take them with you in your car trunk or to College. :)

image-ken-e-coyotes-rocketarium-mega-vortico-300-600-035115160701368.jpg
image-megavortico3bjpg-300-600-033715162509491.jpg

Of course if you're on a tight budget, and don't have much time, you could always build one (or more) of George Gassaway's Dollar Tree Snowflake or Spiderweb candy bowl designs:

nvtbTlv.jpg

7ADkoKQ.jpg

But then, I think everyone should have one (or eight) of these rockets. They're fun to fly, give the kids a thrill, and you can pull it off within the comfort of your own cul-de-sac.

Of course if you're on a tight budget, and don't have much time, you could always build one (or more) of George Gassaway's Dollar Tree Snowflake or Spiderweb candy bowl designs:

nvtbTlv.jpg

7ADkoKQ.jpg

But then, I think everyone should have one (or eight) of these rockets. They're fun to fly, give the kids a thrill, and you can pull it off within the comfort of your own cul-de-sac.

Haha those are awesome.

Thanks guys for the suggestions I'll look into it. I guess one good thing is that the college I'm planning on going to has a huge, extreme rocketry club that I can get involved with. When we visited during the open house the club leader told us they were shooting for the first student club in the country to reach LEO. :)

Back