Weight limits for 1010 vs. 1515 rail.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Are there recommended weight limits for when to switch from a 1010 pad to a 1515 pad?

Also, does motor choice factor in? I know the bigger the motor, the farther away from the flight line you need to be. But does thrust affect which size rail people use?

I'd say it's not so much the actual rail, but more about what the rail is bolted to, the pad.

Tony

I'd say it's not so much the actual rail, but more about what the rail is bolted to, the pad.

Tony

+1 on this. We limit or 1010 pads to 20 lbs. because of pad construction. Our 1515 pads are limited to 40 lbs, 6" diameter, and L motors. The diameter limit is because of the torque applied to the pad with the motor offset in larger diameters. We have a 1515 rail that can be attached to our trailer launcher that doesn't have any of those limits.

I fly mostly at AeroPac launches so if any AeroPac members are reading(Tony?) I would appreciate your input. I have an 8" dia, 15-20 pound short and stubby rocket. Would 1010 buttons work or would you recommend 1515. Motors will be in the K-L range. Thanks for your input.

Tony, what was the 1010 attached to?

Mark, This was flown from an Coker style pad. The rocket was 112 pounds on the pad.

5together.jpg

P2.jpg

[video=youtube;OZ2v48CoLqY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ2v48CoLqY[/video]

Tony

Jason, 1010 buttons will be fine. If you choose to use 1515, AeroPac pads are easily changeable to 1515 rails.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I missed Mudroc this year but plan to be out there next year. Hope to see you there. Happy holidays!

Accidentally, I did my best to knock over one of the smaller pads at a launch over summer -
y5VfRxH.jpg

I put 1515 buttons on after that launch, not because of the button strength or weight but to use the larger pads.

Since the two above photos were both AeroPac launches (I think), I'll note that Ari's may have been a 1010 rail, but it was one of the bigger "away" pads, while watermelonman's was one of the smaller HPR pads, you can see the larger base in the first one compared to the smaller tripod in the second. Personally I've more equated that the closer HPR pads are typically 1010 (though maybe a 1515 rail is available? I haven't ever needed one so I haven't checked) and the away pads are typically 1515 though clearly a 1010 rail may be available out there.

For my Punisher 4 I'm thinking I'll probably put both 1010 and 1515 buttons on it, as the motor range I'd plan to fly on it probably ranges on what could go on a closer HPR pad as well as what might require one of the farther-away pads. So unless I'm certain that both pads would always have one of the two rail sizes available (and for me it's not just AeroPac but also LUNAR and TCC) the only safe thing to me seems to be to have both available as options.

Since the two above photos were both AeroPac launches (I think), I'll note that Ari's may have been a 1010 rail, but it was one of the bigger "away" pads, while watermelonman's was one of the smaller HPR pads, you can see the larger base in the first one compared to the smaller tripod in the second.

This is correct. Aeropac has regular 1010 pads ("midpower" in AP parlance: anything up to K) and heavier "away" pads. Away pads are available both in 1010 and 1515 sizes. To Tony's point, it's less the size of the rail and more the size of the pad that holds the rail. As Eric is pointing out, the smaller pads are easier to tip over.

Ari.

And then:

to further confuse ya, I regularly fly 1010 buttons in 1515 rails.
I have found there are 3 size 1010 buttons in use around here,[east of Mississippi] standard 1 piece delrin [which I use] small aero-dynamic profile & tear drop sizes.
There are others in use, nylon 1 piece, 3 piece, recessed screw head, etc. but they are same diameter heads as one of the above.

Standard also fit 1515 rail. When I want a slippery fit or the 1010 rails are full, I will just go out to 15 15 pads, so I don't have to wait for the next rack to fly.

I have flown 6in projects weighing 60 + lbs with 1010, but on heavy duty pad base. The mounting screws are stainless and fasten into a solid base/section of rocket, which to me is as important as button size.

Last edited:
I did a 5" min dia P using 1010 buttons. Tony

Doing a 2-stage project for XPRS or BALLS this year. It is a 6" P booster with a 98mm Mongoose baby O motor in the sustainer. Planning on using 1515 rail mounted on aluminum antenna towers with three or six guy ropes staked to the ground. Have choice of a single 10' length or two sections (10' + 5') or two sections (10' + 10'). Total length of rocket approximately 16'.

Thoughts on this plan?

Last edited:
Back