Thanksgiving - stuffing or dressing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Of course, these two dishes are completely different! I have a feeling this will be a regional thing, perhaps separated North/South. Down here, we eat dressing, cooked outside the bird. Usually it's made with just cornbread, but I've seen recipes using a mix with "white" bread, too. Also, it's hard to keep the stuffing in the bird when you're frying it!

Dressing. I brine the turkey, so stuffing isn't a good option anyway.

The turkey is getting deep fried in peanut oil....
The stuffing is a separate killer dish made outside the turkey....
And so is the sweet potato casserole. .....

I can see the lights fading already.....lol...

Teddy

I grew up on cornbread dressing. Made with sage and a little sausage, it is a little bit of southern heaven. That being said, Thursday, we will be having dinner with my wife's family. Her aunt is from Michigan and Iook forward to Mary's apple stuffing every year. She starts it out with what she can cook in the bird and then mixes that with the rest of the batch and bakes it all off until it is hot with little toasted bits on the top.

Anyone ever had Oyster dressing? I had it back when I lived in Fla. and it wasn't bad. You gotta like oysters though.

Thanksgiving - stuffing and dressing!

Fixed the headline for ya.

We have the turkey stuffed with citrus and herbs but it's just for flavoring. I will eat some Stovetop or the homemade equivalent, but it's not really high on my priority list and the kids don't like it much at all. It's usually left over in large quantities. We have outstanding rolls and 2 kinds of potatoes, so there's really not much room for more bread-type stuff.

Same stuff, just regional differences in what we call it.

Whatever you call it, it's GOOD.

I grew up on cornbread dressing. Made with sage and a little sausage, it is a little bit of southern heaven. That being said, Thursday, we will be having dinner with my wife's family. Her aunt is from Michigan and Iook forward to Mary's apple stuffing every year. She starts it out with what she can cook in the bird and then mixes that with the rest of the batch and bakes it all off until it is hot with little toasted bits on the top.

+1000000000...

View attachment Sausage Cornbread Stuffing.docx

I really hope that worked...

Teddy

Same stuff, just regional differences in what we call it.

Whatever you call it, it's GOOD.

NO!! It's not the same stuff at all (see below pic)! I *hate* stuffing. It's just gross to me. But good ol' cornbread dressing is the best stuff on turkey day (except for the turkey itself).

dressing.jpg

I still think its the same stuff and consider the words to be synonyms (at least as they are used around here). I tend to refer to them as "wet" or "dry." Depending on the cook, there is a wide variety of "dampness" between these two extremes.

Anyone ever had Oyster dressing? I had it back when I lived in Fla. and it wasn't bad. You gotta like oysters though.

No stuffing! Only dressing cooked outside the bird.

My sister in law makes a small batch of oyster dressing since she and I are the only ones that like oyster dressing.

We make a very large batch of dressing so there are lots of left overs.

We make some excess dressing I muffin tins so if you like the crusty edges everybody get enough crispy edge dressing.

But the best is leftover dressing reheated in a waffle iron.

Pour some gravy on top...WOW it that yummy!

I consider them the same but the term I most use is stuffing. I like it cooked in the bird.

Celery
Onion
White Bread
Eggs
Chicken Broth
Butter
RUBBED Sage

This kinda says it all. Dont need any corn bread, no sausage, and no stinkin' oysters!

What..........
No corn bread ??????
No sausage ???????????

Why,, how could you ????

Oh the inhumanity of it all..........

Teddy

I still think its the same stuff and consider the words to be synonyms (at least as they are used around here). I tend to refer to them as "wet" or "dry." Depending on the cook, there is a wide variety of "dampness" between these two extremes.

Very true. Dressing is generally quite wet while stuffing is pretty dry. Another difference, though, is that stuffing tends to have significantly more savory spices in it...and that's the main reason I don't like it. Another reason is that I like the grainier texture of the dressing due to the corn meal used.

Oddly enough, I love very savory things as a rule. My favorite cuisine right now is Indian food, in fact. So why I don't like stuffing is a mystery to me.

I consider them the same but the term I most use is stuffing. I like it cooked in the bird.

They're really not the same. Stuffing (cooked inside the bird), is typically consists of shredded "white" bread, savory spices, fruit, and nuts. Dressing, cooked in its own pan, is actually a form of bread pudding, and may be sweet or savory, contains eggs, and may contain meat, which dressing does not have.

Either one of these is great (if made properly...).

Celery
Onion
White Bread
Eggs
Chicken Broth
Butter
RUBBED Sage

This kinda says it all. Dont need any corn bread, no sausage, and no stinkin' oysters!

You are hereby banned for corn bread heresy.

The 11th commandment was "There Shalt Be Corn Bread Dressing on Thanksgiving, a thou shalt put no stuffing before it."

However we know what Moses did with the third tablet of commandments. Just watch History of the World, Part 1 :)

Back