Thanksgiving - stuffing or dressing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this year WAS dressing. We had Thanksgiving dinner Sunday since I have to work Thursday and only did a ham this year---only three of us. Yep, cornbread ,toast, chives, all the herbs you can think of mixed with chicken broth and pan cooked. Christmas will be stuffing , same thing only inside the bird in both ends !! As for oyster dressing. My mom used to make it . The family --on my moms side--is from the south so it was a regular thing over the holidays around our house. I never mastered it but my sisters have the family recipe and it's out of this world good !!!

The key to good oyster dressing is to use fresh shucked oysters. Not the can crap. I have a good recipe and make it once in a while for Thanksgiving. It is a dressing that you have to have a taste for and like oysters.

Stuffing because I feel stuffed to the gills after eating it.

They're really not the same. Stuffing (cooked inside the bird), is typically consists of shredded "white" bread, savory spices, fruit, and nuts. Dressing, cooked in its own pan, is actually a form of bread pudding, and may be sweet or savory, contains eggs, and may contain meat, which dressing does not have.

Either one of these is great (if made properly...).

I put eggs and meat in the stuffing and it goes in the bird....I take what does not fit in the bird and cook it in a pan. So, to me it is the same thing.

Put either one in front of me and I won't complain.

You are hereby banned for corn bread heresy.

The 11th commandment was "There Shalt Be Corn Bread Dressing on Thanksgiving, a thou shalt put no stuffing before it."

However we know what Moses did with the third tablet of commandments. Just watch History of the World, Part 1 :)

hahahahahahha...
Dats a goodie...

Teddy

Ya know,,
I really hate to admit this for fear of a good keel dragging,,
( I hope Al isn't around to see this,, if he sees this I'm gonna pay dearly for it ),,
but I don't think I've ever had what you guy's are referring to as "dressing"..
It sounds like all the ingredients are the same as stuffing it's just made wetter...

Teddy

This is the kinda thread where new guys get to see the sense of humor. Some of you guys are pretty funny.And, some of those recipes look good.
Our T/giving is looking pretty Skippy, wife's a night worker at the Hospital, kids have a bigger better option, in Tyler, probably, I'll be cooking mine while you're chowing down.
I'm looking forward to some of the suggestions here.
I have a broiler, poke the bird in there, crank it up. I usually inject butter, melt some, load the syringe and vaccinate against dryness, I include some seasonings in the butter.
I like the bird empty, maybe some orange, but no breads.
We have a Visions cookware and it holds a bunch, handles oven temperatures, and looks nice.
My dream Thanksgiving?
Roll outta bed, get dressed.
Sit around a while, watch the grandson run in circles and mess with the dogs, then,
Head for the kitchen and get stuffed.

See? Dressing AND stuffing, got it goin on..

This is the kinda thread where new guys get to see the sense of humor. Some of you guys are pretty funny.And, some of those recipes look good.
Our T/giving is looking pretty Skippy, wife's a night worker at the Hospital, kids have a bigger better option, in Tyler, probably, I'll be cooking mine while you're chowing down.
I'm looking forward to some of the suggestions here.
I have a broiler, poke the bird in there, crank it up. I usually inject butter, melt some, load the syringe and vaccinate against dryness, I include some seasonings in the butter.
I like the bird empty, maybe some orange, but no breads.
We have a Visions cookware and it holds a bunch, handles oven temperatures, and looks nice.
My dream Thanksgiving?
Roll outta bed, get dressed.
Sit around a while, watch the grandson run in circles and mess with the dogs, then,
Head for the kitchen and get stuffed.

See? Dressing AND stuffing, got it goin on..

You haven't seen a sense of humor yet........
Wait till Al see's that post..........lol...

Teddy

We pretty much stopped putting stuffing "in" the bird a few years back when the healthcare folks warned us that the stuffing a) gets soaked with meat juice (duh) and 2) doesn't heat up fast enough, long enough, or hot enough to kill any e-coli bacteria (or some such undercooked poison warning). Now pretty much all of the "stuffing" is made outside the bird. The recipe is the same.

As far as I know (I don't make it and it isn't made in my house), our stuffing contains no oysters, cornbread, corn flour, corn meal, corn starch, corn syrup, corn sugar, or any other corn product.

My parents, being from the generation that lived through the Depression, wouldn't waste the giblets even though Dad was the only one who liked them. Instead, mom would boil them in butter in a sauce pan, dice them into nearly microscopic pieces, and mix them in with the stuffing. I don't care for giblets and I don't mind throwing them away, but the stuffing still tastes like its missing something.

Ya know,,
I really hate to admit this for fear of a good keel dragging,,
( I hope Al isn't around to see this,, if he sees this I'm gonna pay dearly for it ),,
but I don't think I've ever had what you guy's are referring to as "dressing"..
It sounds like all the ingredients are the same as stuffing it's just made wetter...

Teddy

Blasphemer.

Mother in law makes a "Cornbread Dressing". I am not sure what constitutes the language for one or the other. Some people call it "Stuffing," and some call it "Dressing," at least from where I am from.
My mother-in-law makes her "Stuffing" with Cornbread. She won't hand out the recipe, so my wife and I keep making the turkey....lol!
Maybe she doesn't like making Turkey, and we got stuck with it. We like making it! It makes many sandwiches after Thanksgiving!

For me it's stuffing even though it's cooked outside now that it's not a good idea to cook it inside. This is likely the same debate as rocket v. motor, only tastier!

I'll tell you who doesn't like stuffing --- the turkey. As if being plucked and roasted isn't enough, now you want to shove a bunch of cornbread and herbs up his backside? An OYSTER for God's sake! That's just adding insult to injury!

Stick with dressing, people. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

I'll tell you who doesn't like stuffing --- the turkey. As if being plucked and roasted isn't enough, now you want to shove a bunch of cornbread and herbs up his backside? An OYSTER for God's sake! That's just adding insult to injury!

Heeeyyyyyyyyyyy...........
How are you Thirsty Eric ???????
It sure is nice to see you around these parts.........
How's everything man ???
I hope you have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving Eric.....
For you and yours........

Teddy

And there was much rejoicing....the TB has returned.

Heeeyyyyyyyyyyy...........
How are you Thirsty Eric ???????
It sure is nice to see you around these parts.........
How's everything man ???
I hope you have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving Eric.....
For you and yours........

Teddy

And there was much rejoicing....the TB has returned.

As I read that I saw sunlight streaming down
and heard a choir -- aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Teddy

Ha ha! Thanks guys! I've been focusing on a lot of other things these days, so haven't been around much. I'll try to drop in a bit more now that CA is getting out of fire season, and the local HPR launches will be picking up again.

The only thing I can say is STUFFING, is what I do to myself.
What ever it's called, it's piled on top of the mashed taters, and drowned with gravy and scooped up with pieces of turkey and STUFFED in my mouth.
It's also good on the day after turkey sandwiches smothered with gravy.
I'll be back later, I'm hungry...again.

For the first Thanksgiving ever, I had neither. My wifes family adores stuffing (even though its made seperate from the bird) but its a recipe similar to Stove Top (yuck!) and my family didn't get together this year as we are spread all over the country, so no Cornbread Dressing. I coped and had an extra slice of Pecan pie.:)

Rich,,
come over here..
I'll make you up a plate that'll near kill ya...
It's only 3000 mi...
You'll still be a little full when you get home...

Teddy

I still think its the same stuff and consider the words to be synonyms (at least as they are used around here). I tend to refer to them as "wet" or "dry." Depending on the cook, there is a wide variety of "dampness" between these two extremes.

Yep. Dressing for me, as I like the crunchy stuff from the edges of the bowl. Stuffing is all soggy... Good crunchy stuffing... Mmm. Of course, I also like it when the Turkey is dry and crunchy too. One glass of water per slice of turkey is perfect.... Nope, not kidding.

Adrian (make mine extra well done, please...)

Back