Eggtimer Quark Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggplant

L3 | NAR 93664, TRA 17791
Reaction score
I finished my quarks a few weeks ago but just got around to testing them. I started with the serial barometer test, but I am curious if the results that I am getting are right. I followed the procedure in the manual and on both of my quarks every serial monitor that I try is showing a sequence of punctuation characters in little packets like "<00.,,>" where the last few symbols vary quite a bit but the first two are always 0's. Is this what I should be expecting? If so, how do I interpret this data?

I assume that you're looking at the real-time altitude feed. Yes, that is correct, it's formatted for an Eggfinder LCD receiver in the same format that the TRS sends out its altitude and status data. If you put it in a vacuum jar you'll see the numbers change as you suck out the air.

I'm going to pseudo-necro this thread, as after searching for quite a bit, it seems like the closest fit to my question, lol.

I know that the Quark can stream data in-flight; is that data saved (or save-able) for review after the flight instead? If so, does it require you to just install a logger?

Cost isn't a consideration as all the Eggtimer products are more than reasonable, but I'm looking at a quark because I'd like to be able to get some logged data in the LPR rockets I'm using now, but also be able to have something to benchmark / use during testing if I finally decide to try my hand at building my own deployment altimeter (PURELY for the fun / experience, not cost, intent to sell, etc.). The size of the quantum is nice, but the weight of the Quark is really much more attractive for LPR / MPR stuff.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Donnie

The Quark does not stream data or log data. It's just a bare bones altimeter, similar to an RRC2.

It can stream data. It has a serial interface that outputs altitude, which is what this thread was about. The information is lost if the device isn't plugged into anything that is listening, but one could build a logger without too much difficulty. The price of a quark + logger would probably be very close to, if not more than a regular eggtimer, though.

Didn't know that. All mine does is beep altitude but then I'm only using it for backup.

It can stream data. It has a serial interface that outputs altitude, which is what this thread was about. The information is lost if the device isn't plugged into anything that is listening, but one could build a logger without too much difficulty. The price of a quark + logger would probably be very close to, if not more than a regular eggtimer, though.

Thanks for the insight. I'd need to see if I'd be lighter with the quark+ logger than I would with the standard eggtimer or quantum.

The Quark has the potential to stream the altitude from the baro chip. One would have to buy a 3DR radio transmitter and receiver in order to achieve this and the possibility is outlined in page 17 of the users manual.
https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/attachments/File/Eggtimer__Quark_Users__Guide.pdf I would bet the technique would be applicable to Perfect Flite altimeters also. Just tap the right pins on the data socket and would be
good to go. I don't believe it would be a logger. One would have to save the data on the ground.

Cris Cerving stated he was working on something to allow streaming to an EggFinder LCD but I believe it would be in the form of an add-on one would have to purchase and build. Remember though, this would be only helpful for streaming
the altitude, it wouldn't have any facility for tracking purposes. Kurt

Thanks for the insight. I'd need to see if I'd be lighter with the quark+ logger than I would with the standard eggtimer or quantum.

Your options are 1) Run a Quark off a 1S LiPo and use an OpenLog logger (about $10 on eBay), or 2) Get a Quantum and have it all self-contained, but you'll need to use a larger 2S battery. #2 is easier, but if you're hunting for every last gram of weight you may want to go with #1... the weight savings will be primarily in the battery. If you want to use telemetry to send the altitude to some kind of ground station in real time, you're going to have to add that weight to whatever solution you use... you may find that it's just easier to use an Eggtimer TRS, and you'll get GPS tracking out of it too.

I fly the Quark with AT 24/40 E and F reloads on BT-55 and BT-60 rockets. A few times I've put a 1st generation Jolly Logic Altimeter 2 with the Quark to record addition data points. My experience is that the Quark/Alt2 combo is lighter than the original Eggtimer and Quantium, which I have also flown on 24/40's.

Your options are 1) Run a Quark off a 1S LiPo and use an OpenLog logger (about $10 on eBay), or 2) Get a Quantum and have it all self-contained, but you'll need to use a larger 2S battery. #2 is easier, but if you're hunting for every last gram of weight you may want to go with #1... the weight savings will be primarily in the battery. If you want to use telemetry to send the altitude to some kind of ground station in real time, you're going to have to add that weight to whatever solution you use... you may find that it's just easier to use an Eggtimer TRS, and you'll get GPS tracking out of it too.

I guess what I should do is add the weight in Open Rocket and see if there's any real benefit to be gained (in the rockets I intend to fly) by saving that weight. The Quantum is an appealing choice.

As for cost, i already own an OpenLog, so that's not a concern.

Maybe I just need to just get my butt in gear, get hooked up with a club and get into chasing my L1 cert, where weight wouldn't be as much a concern and I can have cooler data to look at, lol.

I currently own and use a PerfectFlite FireFly, which is tiny, but only spits out peak altitude / velocity. I suppose I could continue to use it in my lighter rockets, and use the Eggtimer stuff as I move into mid-power and high-power stuff down the road. Decisions, decision.

At any rate, thanks, and once I get this all sorted out I'll likely be ordering SOMETHING from you, lol.

I fly the Quark with AT 24/40 E and F reloads on BT-55 and BT-60 rockets. A few times I've put a 1st generation Jolly Logic Altimeter 2 with the Quark to record addition data points. My experience is that the Quark/Alt2 combo is lighter than the original Eggtimer and Quantium, which I have also flown on 24/40's.

That's a pretty good real-world indicator of the weight difference between the Quark and the full-size, full-feature offerings. Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good real-world indicator of the weight difference between the Quark and the full-size, full-feature offerings.

I just got home and put a Quark and an Alt2 on the scale. The Quark is 5.9gm and the Alt2 7.7gm ...13.6 total. Sled, switch, wires etc would vary so I didn't weigh a mounted Quark.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1461971591.863675.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1461971622.001617.jpg

Back