CTI Pro 24

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know why the white Propellant in the CTI Pro 24 cases has a low ISP and performance?

It is not radically different to the other propellants in terms of impulse for a given case. A few newtons total difference between loads.

This might not scale directly though as things might change in longer and larger motors.

I hear formulations change significantly from diameter to diameter, so it may only be an approximation of what you might find in the bigger motors.

Cesaroni white quickly became a favorite of mine overall. The J290 is simply awesome for its size, and the M1101 was a full load of fun.

It is not radically different to the other propellants in terms of impulse for a given case. A few newtons total difference between loads.

This might not scale directly though as things might change in longer and larger motors.

CTI white is their third best performer, but the total impulse is similar to the other propellants in the pro 24 6G case. and even Blue Streak has a better performance than white.

BTW, my 24 mm rocket in OR is designed to fit a 6G case, but when I scale it up to 29 mm the 6g case is almost as long as the whole rocket. So maybe the L : D ratio of the grains in 29mm motor is higher than that in a 24 mm motor.

I hear formulations change significantly from diameter to diameter, so it may only be an approximation of what you might find in the bigger motors.

Cesaroni white quickly became a favorite of mine overall. The J290 is simply awesome for its size, and the M1101 was a full load of fun.

Unfortunately, I'm not L1 certified yet so I can't fly anything larger than a G.:(

White was formulated for use in Long Burns, along with the usual bates grain configuration that you find it in.
Notice the plethora of LB's that use it.

White is a slow burning propellant. It may be operating at a lower chamber pressure than some of the other propellants to keep the burn rate slow which results in a lower Isp. A long burn effect is considered desirable by some individual, and if you want a long burn motor you don't care if the Isp is maximized.

Bob

Formulations don't normally change as the motor diameter changes.......

If they did, that would reduce the flexibility to use the same certified propellant in all diameter motors.....

Bob

Are there spacers available for the Pro 24 casings ? I'd like to use 1 or 2 spacers in a 3 grain case but they don't seem to be available.

CTI has told us that the cost of spacers in Pro24 would be more than the cost of the casing they would replace buying.

Formulations don't normally change as the motor diameter changes.......

If they did, that would reduce the flexibility to use the same certified propellant in all diameter motors.....

Bob

Interesting, one of the few motor makers I know in person thinks they do. Of course it is all speculation as the commercial vendors do not normally want to share too many specific details.

I did not think propellants were certified, though, only motors?

Of course it is all speculation as the commercial vendors do not normally want to share too many specific details.

Gary from AT told me that White Lightning is different depending on the motor. The WL in the L1000 and L1090 is a significantly higher solids formulation compared to WL in other motors. The K480W uses a different formula than WL in the K700W. Any further leaps are all assumption, but it is not much of a stretch to assume that manufacturers would change the formula at least a little bit depending on the case dimensions, as the dimensions drastically change the combustion performance.

Interesting, one of the few motor makers I know in person thinks they do. Of course it is all speculation as the commercial vendors do not normally want to share too many specific details.

I did not think propellants were certified, though, only motors?
No, propellants are not certified, but they are tested for classification and transportation and registered with BATFE and DOT.....

Bob

Back