Alternative to Nomex Blanket - Parachute Liners

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eengelgau

Reaction score
Hi All, Fruity Chutes has made available our Nomex Parachute Liners, which we've actually been making for some time. These were developed initially for our Peregrine IDS UAV recovery systems where we pressure pack the parachute into a canister. The liner protects the parachute from abrasion. But they can also be used stand alone as a nice alternative to the more bulky Nomex blanket. The liner is basically a simple bag with a split side. After ejection the bag peels off the parachute easily. There is a inside leash to connect the liner to the top-loop of the parachute. What is cool is they are sized for various airframe diameters. Then you can order the length you need. So the fit is optimized lowering the bulk needed if you use a Nomex blanket.

You can check it out here: https://fruitychutes.com/buyachute/parachute-liners-c-27/

Also here is how you pack the Iris parachute, and then use it with the liner here (also deployment bag is shown):

https://fruitychutes.com/help_for_parachutes/how_to_fold_a_iris_parachute.htm

Airframe sizes are 3", 4", 5", and 6"D. Then there are various lengths. These are in stock now.

Get back to us with any questions via the contact form on the website.

-Gene

Last edited:
I've been making something similar for personal use for about 5 years now. I tend to use them on smaller airframes (29mm to 2.6"). They work great!

I've been making something similar for personal use for about 5 years now. I tend to use them on smaller airframes (29mm to 2.6"). They work great!

Yep, me to on my 2.6" AF rocket! A few folks have seen me use them so we've made some as a special order. I now have production capacity to make these in larger numbers so it's time to bring them to the market. They are optimal where space is very tight.

-Gene

Why do you show wrapping the lines around the canopy? I thought that technique went extinct along with the rocket that came in ballistic because the parachute didn't deploy.

Edward

Why do you show wrapping the lines around the canopy? I thought that technique went extinct along with the rocket that came in ballistic because the parachute didn't deploy.

Edward

Hi Ed, no doubt this is a controversial method, but many folks still use this. And if done correctly and with care it is reliable. It gives a tight pack without needing any other packing constraint. As for increasing ballistic recovery probability, unless this pack method somehow interferes with, at a minimum, of splitting the airframe or popping a nose cone it has no effect on ballistic entry since simply doing this stops that. Ask anyone who uses drogueless recovery, which I have and may do. But I do agree that it can mess up the final main chute opening unless care is taken.

I think how you fold and prepare a parachute for a rocket is a bit of a religion. I've seen many methods work, and some not. For any single person it's hard to argue with their success if something works for them.

With the liner on top of the chute after deployment, is there any change in CD of the chute? I would think not because the liner is in a "stalled" area of flow, but I have been surprised by things I thought I knew and turned out wrong before. The liner is elegant in its' simplicity. I like it very much!

With the liner on top of the chute after deployment, is there any change in CD of the chute? I would think not because the liner is in a "stalled" area of flow, but I have been surprised by things I thought I knew and turned out wrong before. The liner is elegant in its' simplicity. I like it very much!

Hi JR, No affect at all by the liner on chute performance. I have been using these for about 5 years and they do work well. And very simple and minimal fabric design.

Another person asked about smaller D sizes.. We may make these, we'll see. Internally these sizes match up with what is needed on the UAV / Drone deployment systems.

I still wrap the lines around the canopy...

Write, wrong, or whatever, a lot of people do use this or some variation of this. Unless you use a secondary restraining method (deployment bag) it contains the chute into a given diameter, reduces deployment friction to allow the chute to move more easily out of the airframe, and when done "carefully" organizes the lines. There are plenty of ways to mess it up however.

I learned from a friend who packed cargo for the Air Force and jumped out of planes. Wrapping lines to me is inviting trouble. It does not promote a nice clean deployment and opening of a parachute.

Edward

I am interested in a 54mm version also. I will likely get a couple of other sizes too. I like that you can order by appropriate length. Very nice.

I still wrap the lines around the canopy...

When all I ever flew was Aerotech rockets, I always wrapped the lines around the chute and never had one tangle. With my larger rockets/chutes, I fold the chute to a triangle shape, fold the lines up inside and finish folding the chute to cover the lines.

Back