GPS Tracker?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine and he mentioned that he saw a GPS tracking device the you can track with your phone? I guess from the way he explained it was the unit itself is about the size of a quarter and you down load the app and it will it you are god to go. Put it in your rocket launch it and the turn on the phone and find it? I wish I had ore information, but that's all I have. I was wondering if any of you have seen something similar?

Generic version (as cheap as 30 bux) is called an RF-V16 and sold as a child tracker. I use one of these regularly with the case taken off to make it fit way up inside a 38mm nosecone and it works fine. They run on 2G service which is being phased out next year, so they probably won't work anymore soon but I'm sure a similar device with a different radio in it will be along from China shortly. These and the Trackimo are cellular gps transmitters that require cell service at the launch site in order to work.

Generic version (as cheap as 30 bux) is called an RF-V16 and sold as a child tracker. I use one of these regularly with the case taken off to make it fit way up inside a 38mm nosecone and it works fine. They run on 2G service which is being phased out next year, so they probably won't work anymore soon but I'm sure a similar device with a different radio in it will be along from China shortly. These and the Trackimo are cellular gps transmitters that require cell service at the launch site in order to work.

You should keep in mind that items like this may not be designed to handle high G loads that are common in rocketry.

That's a good point, it requires some forethought. I've flown mine many times on sub-20G flights with no issue; on one 40+G flight I was able to make it turn itself off because of the button being pressed under acceleration.

Back