What's the point of kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can imagine the headaches and chaos at launches if only custom/scratch made rockets were allowed. Not that this is a problem now, but I mean no kits available/allowed at all for the hobby.

Before any scratch builders start protesting my statement, I'll note I like custom/scratch too (I've got a dedicated book of rocket ideas), but I've had my scratch Beaker rocket do a power loop at my club earlier this year when I forgot I never tested it on a C motor...had done fine a couple of times on an A and B, but the incident was embarrassing. I would also say it's my opinion that I've seen more scratch builds with flight issues than kits (one beautiful winged wonder did a power loop into the ground right off the rail at my club a few months ago).

image-beaker-rocket-3ajpg-300-600-034115083925727.jpg

In addition, I'd say that kits are a reason this hobby is as popular as it is. I purchased a E2X Estes kit on a whim (loosely using the reasoning of entertaining my young child), but it's progressed far beyond that. Kits allow someone just browsing the hobby aisles to be bitten with the rocket bug and then slowly progress along at the skill level they're comfortable with and capable of. :grin:

I completely agree that economical, cool kits are the reason why rocketry is as popular as it is today. I recently saw someone refer to a recent kit purchase as a "gateway dru... I mean entry into the HPR world". Technical ability is a barrier to entry and a barrier to fun, and the RTF and E2X kits remove it.

I think that a lot of people like kits as they allow someone to experience the fun of building their own rocket without the fears that come from a lack of knowledge/skill needed to make something on their own from scratch that looks good, and is safe to fly. I guess you could say kits are the gateway drug into the hobby.
Kits have been around for many decades: Plastic models of all sorts, flying airplanes, flying rockets, trains, diorama, jig saw puzzles, etc. I don't think that any kid looking at a kit in a catalog or at a hobby shop stood there and thought, "gee....I guess I'm going to have to settle for one of these kits because I am too scared to scratch build." But I do agree with K'Tesh - kits were the entry point for most of us into this hobby.

Our first few kits taught us basic building techniques. The kit instructions usually stated something like, "you are going to need the following tools and materials to finish this kit." So we learned early on that white glue or wood glue and not hot melt glue or plastic model cement was the way to go for attaching fins. We learned about fin fillets. We learned how to put fins on straight. We learned basic finishing techniques. And the kits came with nifty decals or stickers! Some kits even introduced us to concepts like "this rocket must balance at this point or it will be unstable," or even the swing test. We learned how to build a simple parachute. We learned how to prep a model for flight. We may even have learned a bit about space history. Some of us may have learned about the basics of trimming a glider. We learned about the NAR and that it was possible to meet others who enjoyed this hobby.

After a few kits we got the hang of it. We built more complex or powerful model rockets, started scratch building our own designs, got into competition rocketry, or went off to do something else. But the fun and joy of building a kit never left us. We still build kits. We scratch build kits that you can't buy anymore. BARs coming back into the hobby build a kit. What's the point? I'm just a couple weeks short of 42 years since my first model rocket flight. Most of what I build these days is scratch built for competition rocketry. But I still build current kits, and clone the rest, because I think it's fun - an enjoyable pastime. Plus, I get to fly it. Even more fun.

Last edited:
All good answers above. I don't think I could scratch build a SV from Sirius Rockets or Apogee so I buy the kit. Or make the shrouds for an X-15 from H11. I buy kits for mostly scaled rockets. Other basic designs can be scratched built. I also like the fact when you buy a kit you have everything you need, No special tools or jigs. It's kind of nice to to build something with everything there and enjoy the process.

Last edited:
Now I want to go out and buy a cool kit. My hobby mostly carries basic kits so I didn't realize there were unique elaborate kits out there. I'm going to have to do some online shopping.

Just take a sip and your world will change... :wink:

il_570xN.259274013.jpg

One of the kits I've gotten this year which I'm dying to build (OOP):
F2H4-Banshee-FatCatT.jpg

Now I want to go out and buy a cool kit. My hobby mostly carries basic kits so I didn't realize there were unique elaborate kits out there. I'm going to have to do some online shopping.
Our job here is done, gentlemen. He's been thoroughly infected and is now a qualified 'carrier'. Nice job everybody!
To the OP-wait and see what comes down the pike for "Black Friday"......jes' sayin' it ain't all TV's and washing machines, eh?

I did my Outlander similar to the Estes Mars Lander, in terms of finish. And I heavily modded the capsule with styrene add-on pieces. So, kits can take on most any form.

OutlanderD-7.jpg

They are a good starting point. It should fly correctly. Some kits are really easy - 3 fins and a nose cone - some get fairly complicated with a lot of custom parts.

It is easier to buy a kit than source all the parts and I think that some people like the structure of building a kit.

I have not built a kit in several years but I have designed and sold kits.

+1 I build everything from scratch now days including nose cones. However kits are a great way to start and not everyone enjoys the additional work of fabricating basic materials. Start with kits and learn the basics and skills. Building high quality rockets from scratch is time consuming and you can spend a lot of time on a component and not have it work.

There is one important reason for kits that I did not see. Someone designed it. The only way that person gets paid is if we buy what they sell. I am all for upscaling and modifying, but the kits need to be purchased if the companies that make them are to stay in business.

I am sure you weren't looking for that kind of answer, but it must also be considered.

There is one important reason for kits that I did not see. Someone designed it. The only way that person gets paid is if we buy what they sell. I am all for upscaling and modifying, but the kits need to be purchased if the companies that make them are to stay in business.

I am sure you weren't looking for that kind of answer, but it must also be considered.

Very true. Supporting the vendors in this hobby (or any hobby really) is huge in order to keep it going.

I did my Outlander similar to the Estes Mars Lander, in terms of finish. And I heavily modded the capsule with styrene add-on pieces. So, kits can take on most any form.

View attachment 276526

BTW - Did you launch this one? I've heard of others putting so much work into an Outlander that they're afraid to launch it due to the reports of it going land missile off the rod. :eek:

I've not flown this Outlander yet. I did mod it to use 24mm motors, though, so I will fly it. The mod was kind of a pain. I am working on a Semroc Mars Lander now that I left stock with the 18mm mount. I bought an Aerotech 18/20 RMS to fly it on D reloads.

By the way, thanks to all for the positive comments. I like the Outlander design and hope it flies well on a D12.

I've not flown this Outlander yet. I did mod it to use 24mm motors, though, so I will fly it. The mod was kind of a pain. I am working on a Semroc Mars Lander now that I left stock with the 18mm mount. I bought an Aerotech 18/20 RMS to fly it on D reloads.

By the way, thanks to all for the positive comments. I like the Outlander design and hope it flies well on a D12.

Mine flew very well on an Estes D12; however that was as long as the rod was straight up. Of note is that I added balsa shims so the "leg fins" wouldn't flop around. I think floppy fins are usually not good. :wink:

Back on topic...note how even a kit can be done very differently and custom tailored to each person's taste...and in this case even a kit can be a pain. LOL

Harcourt! Harcourt Fenton Mudd!...your sig reminded me of the Star trek episode w/ the androids :).
Rex

Convenience is another advantage of a kit. You don't have to spend time looking around to get all the parts. When I made a clone of the Estes Mark II a while back, I ordered parts from several different vendors. Not only did my simple 3FNC rocket cost more, but I spent a lot of time researching and ordering the parts. Sometimes that's fun and worth it. Other times, convenience wins out.

-- Roger

Some people are really into building. Some people get really stressed out by building. I am the latter.

I love to launch, and I like a kit that requires very little modification, goes together quickly, and gets me out to the launch pad as soon as possible.

No real interest in scratch-building right now. Someday, if I do, I think it will take me a long time, and I will continue to launch my kits as I go along.

One thing I did not bring up -- I began flying rockets in the 60s. For me, model rocketry has always been my favorite hobby. I have fond memories of looking at the Estes catalogs for hours, dreaming about what I could order when my allowance savings finally reached a sufficient amount. In the early 60s you had to order from Estes. But I loved the anticipation of waiting for the postman to deliver that long skinny box from Penrose ... "Model Rocket Capital of the World". In a few years a couple hobby stores carried Estes products, but there was something special about getting that package.

I loved the cool kits -- some simple, some complicated. I still like building old Estes kits, or recreations of them. And I did my fair share of scratch-building back then, as well. I consider building your own design from commercially available parts to qualify as scratch building. Some might disagree, and say you need to craft your own tubes, nose cones, etc. I'm a woodworker, so I do turn custom nose cones, transitions, and intakes and nozzles on my lathe. But I draw the line at doing custom rolled tubes -- so far!

Regardless, kits appeal to different people for different reasons. And scratch building does the same. And for some of us, both are equally satisfying. And in the case of my Outlander, sometimes it's just fun to take a kit and modify it.

Last edited:
Without kits there would not be model rocketry. The VAST majority of kits sold by Estes are not purchased from people on rocket forums, I bet the same holds true for several of the larger rocket companies out there. A good percentage of the people on this forum have been building rockets for a good part of their life, they know what they are doing so they are able to purchase parts that they can assemble into a rocket of their own design. If it weren't for the kit manufactures there would NOT be any rocket parts such as body tubes for modelers to design their own models with. The few companies that carry rocket parts that don't make their own kits sale parts that are sized to match the parts used in other manufactures kits. So again without kits being design and sold there wouldn't be parts for people to use in their own design. I for one NEED everyone out there to purchase kits in order to keep my job so there really is only one answer in my humble eyes. Kits are needed to keep me employed. :blush:

John Boren

I for one NEED everyone out there to purchase kits in order to keep my job so there really is only one answer in my humble eyes. Kits are needed to keep me employed. :blush:

John Boren

Well John, I've been trying.
Checked my inventory. I have over 300 Estes kits (either built or in totes waiting). Keep them coming!!!!

I for one NEED everyone out there to purchase kits in order to keep my job so there really is only one answer in my humble eyes. Kits are needed to keep me employed. :blush:

John Boren

Based on the response in the rocketry forums, I'd say your job is safe for at least a year, based on the enthusiasm for the upcoming Little Joe II. I was only going to buy two, but I could maybe commit to one more! For long term employment guarantees, just keep bringing out those kits that we absolutely MUST have in our collection.

"You scratch our backs, we'll scratch yours". :smile:

Last edited:
One of the biggest problems with kits is vendors that don't ship well. Ordered a kit from Rocketry Warehouse over two weeks ago and it still has not shipped.

Kits save my marriage.

Every time I build from parts, I have leftover parts. Given my obsession with efficiency, any time I have leftover parts I must use them to build another rocket. In building this next rocket, I need various odds and ends, which leads to more leftover, which leads to a home full of rockets.

Custom/scratch building takes up a very large amount of time for me. I could build 4+ kits in the time it takes to plan, gather parts, build and test the custom rocket (not to mention downscale/prototype testing).

Yep. I like scratch building, but I'm looking forward to building the 54mm CF Mongoose kit I picked up from RW. I am sure that the Mongoose will be done before either of my two currently running scratch builds.

Also, this particulat kit at the BF price is cheaper than I could have built a comparable rocket myself.

I have the tools I have the talent and I have the resources to never buy a kit, and I do because I love to own others kits and suport their work. And there are days I just dont want to cut everything thing out.

TA

Only a small percentage of people would prefer to design their own things. The vast majority of people leave that to others.

Back