New to Open Rocket - Trouble Launching Program

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jableja99

Reaction score
I downloaded Open Rocket today for the first time. I launched it by double-clicking the "OpenRocket-15.03.jar" file that I downloaded. The Open Rocket splash screen comes up and then goes away. Then I get the following error, "LoadLibrary failed with error 1114: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

I am using Windows 10. I do have java installed. I completely uninstalled java, restarted my computer, then reinstalled java again, and restarted my computer a second time. I am running java version 8 Update 66 (build 1.8.0_66-b18). I have tried downloading Open Rocket a second time. I have tried copying the Open Rocket .jar file to somewhere easy (like C:\) and launching it from a command prompt (java -jar C:\OpenRocket-15.03.jar). All of this has not changed the result when attempting to launch Open Rocket.

Does anyone have any ideas what this error message means or what I can try next to get Open Rocket to work?

Barre, I'm not sure how to download & install an older version of Java. Could you update your Java to the latest version (which should currently be 1.8.0_66-b18) and let me know if it still works for you?

Rex, Thanks for the suggestion. I followed the instructions on your link to perform the System File Checker tool. My result was that it told me "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I still receive the same error message when opening OR.

well that narrows down the list of possibilities to a non-windows file(s), which one I have no clew. I am running windows 10 (x64) with the newest java, and OR works for me(knocks on wood). just an idle thought, have you checked to see if your video drivers are up to date?
Rex

Rex, It did end up being something graphics card related. I checked my video drivers and they were up-to-date. Then, I was searching around on some HP forums and found where someone explained that there was a Intel graphic card driver malfunction with something related to switchable graphics that produces that error message. Anyway, all I had to do was change the switchable graphics setting to "High Performance" and all was good. OR now works for me. Now I just need to learn how to use it. :)

Thanks for your help Rex!

ah, good to hear that you got it sorted out :). sorry about taking so long to think of video card issues...been awhile since I've had that happen(haven't been buying new games).
K'Tesh has some nice tutorials on OR and the program has a pretty good database of 'stock' parts, keep an eye on the materials though it assumes that most things are made from cardboard and that chutes come with elastic shroud lines:).
Rex

Back