What is the question?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
If all the candidates have to answer the same one question I ask, this is the question I would ask...

"If you had only one question and all the candidates had to answer that one same question, what is the question you would ask"?

So...what is the question you would ask?

Last edited:
Marshmellons or Fark-N-Ars, -- And-- with coffee or wine----OK, That's like a two part question, but it matters

Here is a very interesting puzzle scenario that I found out about a couple of months ago. It's a long question, with a lot of build-up. But it is a GREAT one I think, whether running for president or anything else (has been described in some places as a job application question but that does not seem to be where it originated, and most job applications I've seen have been way more "robotic" than truly insightful like this):

busstop2.jpg
You’re driving down the road in your car on a wild and stormy night. The weather is like a hurricane, with heavy rains, high winds, and lightning flashing constantly. While driving, you come across a partially-covered bus stop, and you can see three people waiting for a bus:
1. An old woman who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about (your “soulmate”).

Knowing that you only have room for one passenger in your car (it's a really small car), which one would you choose to offer a ride to? And why?

Discussion
You can pick up the old woman, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first. Or you can take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your soulmate again.

I encourage you to think before you continue reading, and see what answer you come up with. It may also help to close your eyes and visualize the situation.

While that might sound like a no-win situation, actually, there is a perfect answer (it does require a bit of out-of-the-box thinking, but not in the sense of trickery or technology or involving anyone else). Anyone who could produce that perfect answer, without any help or thinking on it for a LONG time, or having heard of it before, would be more worthy of being a president than those who can't. Indeed I could easily imagine some candidates (NO NAMES or parties!) totally crashing and burning with bad-to-atrocious answers to that question.

I won't give the answer here, yet. See if you can figure it out on your own, without cheating by googling or looking for help elsewhere. I tried it on my own and was glad I did. :)

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
See if you can figure it out on your own, without cheating by googling or looking for help elsewhere.

stop the car- get out- give the keys to your friend and tell him to drive the old lady, and hang out at the bus stop with the soulmate?

what do I win?

stop the car- get out- give the keys to your friend and tell him to drive the old lady, and hang out at the bus stop with the soulmate?

what do I win?

If you did not cheat, you win the "First to give the perfect answer" award!

Also, you are on your way to being a worthy candidate to run for president.

1st-gold-medal-ssm61.jpg

It seems the origin is from the movie "16 Blocks", Mos Def's character asking the question and Bruce Willis' character finally answering it (correctly).

Last edited:
If you did not cheat, you win the "First to give the perfect answer" award!

no cheating- i came up with that on my own. However, my first answer that didn't get written down was "run them all over with the car and drive away laughing". Probably not the right answer.

no cheating- i came up with that on my own. However, my first answer that didn't get written down was "run them all over with the car and drive away laughing". Probably not the right answer.

Snort-ROFL...... (glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read THAT or I'd still be cleaning up my laptop) :)

Since this is a hypothetical question it would help if we knew what the old woman looks like. I have an image in mind but.......:facepalm:

Here is a very interesting puzzle scenario that I found out about a couple of months ago. It's a long question, with a lot of build-up. But it is a GREAT one I think, whether running for president or anything else (has been described in some places as a job application question but that does not seem to be where it originated, and most job applications I've seen have been way more "robotic" than truly insightful like this):

While that might sound like a no-win situation, actually, there is a perfect answer (it does require a bit of out-of-the-box thinking, but not in the sense of trickery or technology or involving anyone else). Anyone who could produce that perfect answer, without any help or thinking on it for a LONG time, or having heard of it before, would be more worthy of being a president than those who can't. Indeed I could easily imagine some candidates (NO NAMES or parties!) totally crashing and burning with bad-to-atrocious answers to that question.

I won't give the answer here, yet. See if you can figure it out on your own, without cheating by googling or looking for help elsewhere. I tried it on my own and was glad I did. :)

- George Gassaway
You would also so make a good president...you avoided my question and or answered with another. Or, is that (your quiz "Q") your question to the answer?

You would also so make a good president...you avoided my question and or answered with another. Or, is that (your quiz "Q") your question to the answer?

Yes, the rainy bus stop scenario *IS* the question I would ask of all presidential candidates. Their replies would be quite insightful to their abilities to think, and their character, if they had never heard of it before (that's the problem, no way to know) and had no chance to get help.

Last edited:
I can't decide whether I won or lost. Who said being the president is a good thing?? I'd rather hang out with my sweetie in a rain storm any day of the week...that would include Katrina-jes' sayin'.....

Back