homemade nose cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking for some advice on making nose cones. So far I've been cutting a foam ball into a cone and trying to sand it into a nice cone. It works alright but is never super symmetrical. My interpretation of scratch build is building a rocket from stuff not designed to be built into a rocket so I don't want to buy commercial nose cones but I will buy something that will work for a nose cone. What I really prefer is stuff I might already have lying around though. Throw your ideas at me. thanks.

My definition of scratch built is anything not a pre manufactured kit, but off the shelf parts are ok for original design rockets. That said I'm always on the look out for non rocketry parts such as at one time there was a plastic Easter egg which the half of would fit a BT60. I love Dollar stores for such parts.

Richard

Foam or balsa on a drill works. I prefer the pink insulation foam, stacked as required to get the length that you want. Paper cones will work. I have had decent luck with the sectioned tube method (link).

mounting it to a drill is such a simple solution for my problem. Much appreciated info. I did look for eggs at the dollar store as well but it just must be the wrong season as I couldn't find any. I actually considered using a hollowed out egg shell but realised that was probably silly lol.

I am not what your definition of a scratch builder is, however there are several "scratch" builders on the forum. I do know after following their threads that there are many ways to accomplish this using a variety of materials and a lot also depends on the application. Most recently Barkley has a thread going where he is building from scratch and using a fairly unique but effective technique for his nosecones. They may not be appropriate for your application but it may inspire you. Here is a link to his recent build.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?129447-quot-Flying-MooMoo-quot-Scratch-Build-Thread

I am not what your definition of a scratch builder is, however there are several "scratch" builders on the forum. I do know after following their threads that there are many ways to accomplish this using a variety of materials and a lot also depends on the application. Most recently Barkley has a thread going where he is building from scratch and using a fairly unique but effective technique for his nosecones. They may not be appropriate for your application but it may inspire you. Here is a link to his recent build.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?129447-quot-Flying-MooMoo-quot-Scratch-Build-Thread

exactly what I was looking for!

I've used craft store cones made of foam, I've also used traffic cones for my titan II,two cones nested with the cap made from a chain link fence post cap...

Frank

thanks for the idea. this is very similar to the rocket I'm building. What size motor did you use in yours?

C6-3
Was heavy and draggy rocket, with more experience now I probably would have gone with a D.
Something to consider with scratch building is to put in a bigger engine mount than what you plan to use. You can find adapters that will let you downsize , example here
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...unt_Kits_Adapters/Ready-to-use_Motor_Adapters
That way, if your final creation comes out heavier or less aerodynamic than you planned, you can move up an engine.

I build my own engine mounts and typically don't glue them in place. I secure the motor with a piece of coat hanger which holds it all firm. then if its damaged or I want to change motors I can pull it all out. I am thinking of building a more permanent rocket and then ill do something nicer. For now I'm still just trying to learn about general design so my rockets usually get used a few times then I recycle what I can and trash the rest.

Here is one made out of a toilet paper roll. Turned out great. Depending on how much your time is worth, however, it is not necessarily a money saver .
https://www.rocketreviews.com/umm-me-uranus-explorer-2-scratch-by-tom-markel.html

That's basically the same as the method I linked to on my blog. On mine, it was a heavy walled tube and on those it is difficult to get as many sections as you did. I now see a thin wall tube would be easier to work with and can be strengthened from the inside as required. Thanks!

You can by a cheap wood lathe for under $100 on sale, or even cheaper on Craiglist. Gives you lots of flexibility. I'll have a short section of body tube mounted in between the nose cone being formed and the lathe chuck. When I get close to finishing the shoulder I'll slowly sand away at it until I can slide the short piece of body tube over it.

Back