Estes 8073 Reducers Dimensions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I've been trying to find the dimensions for an old part - the Estes 8073 balsa reducer. I've been Googling, but I can't seem to find the dimensions for this transition. Does anybody know what size tubes fit on either end?

They are BT-20 on one end and BT-50 on the other.

Also known as a TA-2050. Transition is 2" long. The TA-2050A is the same, but only 1" long transition.

Last edited:
Where did you locate that part number?

Sorry I didn't reply earlier - I've been busy.

I found it on a listing on eBay. Unfortunately I missed the auction (again, too busy). But I guess now I know the dimensions if it comes up again.

Well, those same reducers can be purchased from www.balsamachining.com if you need them.

Look for TA-2050 under the cones and transitions tab.

They're great for scratch builds. The only Estes rocket I know (without looking it up) that uses that one is the Nike-Ajax. But I'd bet there's several more.

Well, those same reducers can be purchased from www.balsamachining.com if you need them.

Look for TA-2050 under the cones and transitions tab.

They're great for scratch builds. The only Estes rocket I know (without looking it up) that uses that one is the Nike-Ajax. But I'd bet there's several more.

I think a similar one is also available from JonRocket. Balsa Machining and JonRocket might be a better deal anyway, because the shipping on the eBay listing was pretty high.

I keep hoping erockets.biz/Semroc will start building a larger selection of the old Estes parts again. There's a balsa nose cone I want but can't locate it anywhere.

BNC-20BC

If you find a source for that, I'd be grateful lol.

I keep hoping erockets.biz/Semroc will start building a larger selection of the old Estes parts again. There's a balsa nose cone I want but can't locate it anywhere.

BNC-20BC

Talk to Gordon at sandmandecals.com. He does custom turnings and can make any nose cone you want. He does really nice work.

He does not hang out here, but is a frequent visitor of YORF.

BNC-20BC

Email Randy, he will make what you need.
He just did a custom nose cone for me.
Carl made me a few back in the day, Randy rates right up there with him on custom parts.

BNC-20BC

Just double checking here - are you sure it is BNC-20BC and not BNC-20CB?

I know of no BNC-20BC. It doesn't appear in either edition of John Brohm's extensive Estes nose cone/kit references. It's not in Carl McLawhorn's reference list on the old Semroc site either.

But the BNC-20CB part I know, and was used in the Estes Nike Ajax kit. I have a surviving model, and wanted to clone it. The version of the BNC-20CB that (the old) Semroc sold me is not a good copy of the BNC-20CB on my original model. Was going to get around to showing the difference to Randy someday.

PS - Erockets already has a very large selection of Estes/Centuri/FSI/Semroc parts, and are actively milling them on their machine. I saw the inventory myself, and it is a huge and extensive selection that is growing.

Last edited:
Just double checking here - are you sure it is BNC-20BC and not BNC-20CB?

I know of no BNC-20BC. It doesn't appear in either edition of John Brohm's extensive Estes nose cone/kit references. It's not in Carl McLawhorn's reference list on the old Semroc site either.

But the BNC-20CB part I know, and was used in the Estes Nike Ajax kit. I have a surviving model, and wanted to clone it. The version of the BNC-20CB that (the old) Semroc sold me is not a good copy of the BNC-20CB on my original model. Was going to get around to showing the difference to Randy someday.

PS - Erockets already has a very large selection of Estes/Centuri/FSI/Semroc parts, and are actively milling them on their machine. I saw the inventory myself, and it is a huge and extensive selection that is growing.

I was told by Sheryl, that Carl and Vern Estes talked about nosecones, and that Vern said that Estes balsa cone shapes would change over time due to wear. Carl apparently would try to reproduce the earliest versions of the nosecones for that reason. As his were machined using a CNC lathe, the wearing out of the template wasn't a problem.

...and that Vern said that Estes balsa cone shapes would change over time due to wear.
yes... one of the oft quoted rocketry internet memes... I do not believe that this would apply in the case of my observations of a Semroc BNC-20CB and original Estes BNC-20CB from a Nike Ajax kit. The Semroc BNC-20CB that I received was a simple ogive that wasn't even 1.75" long.

Last edited:
Yes. I am a little dyslexic and appear to have swapped the letters. It's the Ajax I'm wanting to build. My comment was made in passing and not intended to take over the thread.

Back